What would make the perfect rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Jeremy Leach, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    What is everyones idea of a perfect rod? Everything from the handle to the tip..........Jeremy

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I am sure you will get lots of responses to your question. In my opinion, there is no single perfect rod. There are perfect rods for certain occassions, certain applications, certain conditions, certain reels, etc. BUT there is no perfect rod for everything.

However there may just be a perfect rod for you. You just have to experiment with a lot of different rods to find it.

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i dont think i've found my perfect rod yet but the ugly stick tiger rod is close(not the ones at wal-mart,bps has them for about$75.00).they have a longer distance from the butt to the reel seat,the reel seat adj.is behind the reel and not infront,a lot of backbone but a softish tip,about 7' long with lots of heavy duty steel eyes.a lot of guys like cork handles but i havent really found a diffrence i like to wait untill they hammer it and it works better with the circle hooks i use anyway.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jeremy,

I would like to suggest that you take a look at the threads in the following link.

It is for Gator's Custom Rods, one of our BOC Memebers and Sponsors. Jim Hudson is extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of Rods from use, to repair, to building. He isn't on near as much as he used to be, but if you want the best answer, you might PM him for what you are looking for.

Gator's Custom Rods

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    To me, the prefect rod is a foam handled, M/H 8 footer, painted white, 25# line, with a 60# flathead at the other end!:wink:

Kenny

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    No clue havent caught anything over 40Lb to test it out yet... lol but a VERY versitile pole i have is the one from walmart the Shakespear tiger spinning combo.. 20.00 pole... 6'6 Med. action, with 25 lb Berkley big game line.. works great for bass in heavy cover, or cats that like to lie on the bottom, in rocks.. etc.. i like it.. have caught anything from: minnows (literally) to gar(15-20 lbs) bass(7Lbs) Catfish (1Lb-40Lbs) Bluegill... Carp, Drum... Most of what u can imagine.. for the price.. its the best pole i have EVER owned!

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Since I bank fish mostly, I like a rod that will allow me to launch my bait a long ways if I need to, but is still stong enough to pull in the fish. But sometimes in tight spots, you can't always just let it rip. So I have some to like a good MH 7-8 foot rod spinning rod for most cases. I carry my 10 & 12 foot surfcasters along when I need the extra distance.
    If I had to pick one favorite for all around use it would be the new Okuma Avenger combo I just got. It will "Git er' Done".

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Perfect is hard to get with the the different seasons and fish patterns but overall I like a 8' MH, limber tip, stout butt section, at least10 stainless steel eyes, Fuji reel seat at the least, Cork handle, casting rod with big hook keeper. I definetly like a rod with a soft tip for soft bites and the least resistance available. The stainless eyes sure beat the junk fuji eyes that have the inserts, inserts just plain suck and are junk. Anybody that designs a catfish pole with inserts should have to use that pole everyday and would learn the hard way. Catfisherman do not baby there poles, at least the ones I know , that do fish all the time. The Fuji reel seat is a must due to the pressure that is put on one. Blank through handles are a must as well, unless you are chasing channel cats.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id say this might be for me ** BWB 1120 8'0" 1 M H 40-80 3-12 7 + Tip
    Its got a foot on mine ** BWB 1140 7'0" 1 M MH 20-50 2-6 6 + Tip
    and id like to have that extra foot of flex, and its rated a little heaver so the action should be close witch should be a perfect fit.:big_smile:

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I own some nice poles and have even built some sweet custom rods from G Loomis blanks. Most people think that the higher the modulus rating, the better quality the rod must be. A higher modulus rating in a rod adds certain performance qualities like quick recovery time & crisp actions that cast well with more precision and less effort. However, a higher modulus rating comes with a price which is to say that the rod blank will be more brittle and prone to failure. It will not necessarily break while you are fighting a fish because the strain is distributed along the length of the rod. However, you are more likely to break an expensive high modulus rod when it is dropped, stepped on, or slapped against something. Again, High modulus graphite fibers have a low strain-rate while most Intermediate fibers have a higher-strain rating. This creates the ultimate problem for rod makers. How to design a rod that has a light physical weight, a high modulus count, along with a high strain-rate. That would be the ultimate rod.

Let's look at things a little bassakwards. It's usually not the rod that's going to cause you to lose fish. The basics are the most important: The ability to tie an awesome knot, super sharp & strong hooks, fresh line, & quality swivels. Make sure these little things are taken care of because if you don't, you are going to lose big fish sooner or later because of faulty terminal gear. After that, presentation, location, and knowledge of the fish you are seeking will help to increase your hook up percentages. Lastly, I would choose a reel (or reels) with a quality drag system before spending big money on an expensive rod.

With all that said, there are lots of decent rods on the market under $50 for those who are not looking to break the bank.

Tight lines and may your 2007 be filled full of oversized fish.

11. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    I think mine would have to be a med action tiger rod with about a 8in shorter cork handle.

12. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    My perfect rod would be a really beefy composite blank from 7 - 7'6" with a nice cork handle. I would like the eyelets to be really reinforced and to be able to handle braided line without getting grooves in the eyelets. The reelseat would have to be all metal for durability. It would also have to come with a warranty greater than 3 years. The looks dont really matter to me that much. I have owned all types of rods and the big cat rods best fit my needs. The reel seat is flimsy though, I guess there is no such thing as the perfect rod.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thats why you get a penn they come with rod clamps so it doesent matter how flimsy the reel seats are.

14. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i like the ugly stick catfish rod for flats ,but nothing beats an ultra light w/a nice size channel fighting on the other end.

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The one that always has a 75lb blue on the end of the line

16. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The perfect rod is two rods. One rod would have to be a casting and the other a spinning rod.