What would happen if you fished a J hook like you do a circle hook

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Oct 7, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use circle hooks for flatheads, Just let them load the rod up before touching it, then just pull back slowly, very good hook up ratio.

Now I know you are supposed to set the hook using a J hook, I used to use them.

But what would happen if you fished a J hook like a circle and just waited for the fish to load the rod up and hook itself?

Would the fish swallow the hook?

Or would the hook just not grab hold, resulting in a lost bait?

Or would it hook the fish in the jaw like a circle hook does.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I get quite a few fish during summer that just take off running,sometimes I forget in the heat of the moment to set the hook.I think they,re already hooked when I grab it.None of them hooked in the corner of mouth,usually in the middle of the lower jaw and in some(a couple inches).Most of the ones I do set the hook on seem to be hooked in either the corner of the mouth or the upper jaw.I only use J hooks..Didn,t have one swallow the hook all year.:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jack,I used to set my spincast reels on clicker while fishing for channels. They have a habit of running ,stopping ,then running and "swallowing ' the bait. My hookup rate was near 100%,but about 20% were gut hooked . There were ONLY J hooks back then.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Jack,as stated above,I haven,t gut hooked a flat all year.In the last 10 years of serious flattin,I,ve deep hooked(not gut hooked) 5 flats at most.Being as I get a lot of my hook ups on fish coming toward me,meaning I have to reel up to 6-8 ft sometimes to catch up with them and set the hook,what advantage could I possibly gain by using circles?I,m not being funny,I,m just asking openly.As you probaly know,I,m a proponent of large J hooks(8/0 to 10/0) with a good deal of offset to them.I feel,and my results have proven me out that you have a very small chance of gut hooking a flat with large offset J,s.I set my hooks by instinct,sometimes I,ll let em run a few feet with em,sometimes I,ll put the stop on em immediately,depends on how I feel they,re taking the bait that day.Given the fact that I don,t gut hook em and I retain the ability to take up line and set the hook at my time of choosing when they,re coming toward me,I,m honestly asking you what I could gain by switching?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jack I believe you would get any one of the three happening depending on how the fish took the bait.

I do know that fishing J hooks in baits suspended vertically over wood hung directly under the boat, flaheads take the bait and just load the rod straight down and hook themselves 99% of the time...W

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you used a J hook like a circle would mean less hook ups.

J hooks are designed for you to rip their lips!:cool2:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pat with your style of fishing a circle hook would not work for you.

In all my 30 years of flathead fishing I have never has a flathead pick the bait up and run towards me. they usually head up stream, thus circle hooks work for me.

8. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I think it would be a roll of the dice everytime. I doubt you would get consistant results using a J like a circle.

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I get plenty of hook-ups,when a fish grabs and runs with a J-hook,more than when I tried the circle hook thing,BUT those hooks have GOT to be SHARP,very sharp,otherwise they'll not go deep enough and be spit out pretty quick. I still have a way better hook-up ratio with J-hooks than I do circle hooks,and I havn't gut hooked a fish in years,but I also stay with my rods and fish'em tightline style,I don't give them a lot of loose line to swallow 95% are hooked in the corner of the mouth and the other 5% are in the top or bottom jaw.I had way too many hard hitting fish pull right away from the circle hooks without getting stuck.They would nail the bait and start a hard run ,loading the rod then the rod would snap upright and the fish was gone.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In my opinion, if I caught every fish that bit, fishing would get boring fast. Missing hook ups is just a part of the sport.

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well said!

12. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    well said!

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I do HIGHLY agree with a opinion stated earlier, that your hook up ratio is much higher, when using J hooks with a major offset barb than those of a regular style.

I switched to circle hooks a few years ago & am happy with my decision to do so. Some of my friends that I take with me haven't adapted to using the circles, so I keep some offset barb 4/0's for the channels. Seems that the cooler gets filled up in the end:big_smile:

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Very well said!!:wink: If you hooked every fish that bites it would be catching instead of fishing. Don't sound like fun but more like work.