What would be the best bait for ponds at this time of year?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Mar 10, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live in KY and I was going to go and fish a pond this weekend. What would be your bait of choice at this time of year?

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I guess that would depend on weather. Has there been lots of rain, is the water warming. After a rain I find worms seem to work great. Many wash into the pond and the cats respond. If the water is cold then perhaps I would fish the shallows with several baits. I fish the north side. The warm southern winds warm this water and all bait tends to end up here. Cats are odd and I find that early you may have to experiment to find their tastes. Stink baits will work too, but the spread of scent is slower in cold water.

3. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info, In my back yard after a good rain at night, I can catch some huge crawlers and enough to keep me stocked up for days.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hey flathead i would use some creek chubs or gills and rake the scales back on the gills, also worms as well, if the pond isnt very big, use some hot dogs just cut it into about 4 sections or each size just big enought to cover the hook and i have caught a lot of kitties on that... hope this isnt too late of response.. i caught about 15-20 dzn night crawlers last night after those rains in about 1 hours time... good luck post us with results

5. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    went fishing in pond yesterday here in ky. i used nightcrawler and shrimp..had a good day but nothing to brag about.;)

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    flathead ,
    I have some skipjack thats frozen and its been in the freezer for at least 6 months.Would that do for pond fishing.

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hey bill i would use em atleast try. Use them until u get fresh one... always worth a shot. i have had success on frozen shad and skipjacks in rivers but not ponds, because around here its not natural forage in ponds.. unless stocked and raised :sad:

8. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i went fishing today and yesterday in a pond i found that it works best if you put the bobber 3 feet up the line frrom a nightcrawler caught more on a bobber than a rig on the bottom

9. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have had good success this year with shrimp and crawlers, and also straight chicken breast. Put 24 in the freezer since the beginning of the year.

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Nice Kycat were there any of size? what part of KY u from?

11. kycat

kycat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They where good eating size. Biggest one was a 5lb channel. I been hitting a local farm pond that at friend of mine has. It is getting overrun by channels and he wants them cleaned out. Said I could net as many as I want, but where is the fun in that.

I am located in Laurel County, Kentucky

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    N,E,S,W? part of KY? lol

13. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Fishing a farm pond: are they being fed fish food? If so get a bag of dry catfood that has the holes. Thread the food onto the hook and used a piece of stryfoam on the end to hold it on.

14. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've used dough bait , shimp, and chicken and have good luck .

15. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    If you are just trying to catch something... I would go with a wax worm right now. I am having success with them and nothing much else right now.