what would be a good line

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catfish slick, Jul 26, 2008.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    What would be a good line for a spinning reel, and could I use a braided line. The 12 pound mono line I have been using has to much memory. and especially after it's set in my jeep in the sun light for a few days. any help you can give me would be appreciated.

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

im starting to like braided line....

i hated it at first but i realized that a small jerk will set the hook....

i dont like stiff braids like PP or fireline but a good promising line is berkley gorilla tough braid.....

i got a 300 yard spool of 35 lb( 20$ ) for a bigger rod but i put in on a smaller bass rod combo and i loved it....

i do alot of CPR when carp fishing and striper fishing so it very overpowering but ill turn the drag down when needed.....:cool2:

try going into the line rewiew thread...:wink:

3. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have not tried braided line yet is it better to have a baitcaster with braided line I have all spinning reels right now..

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey thanks Leroy, I settled for moss green 20# spider wire Stealth. that should hold anything I am going to catch, I like the looks of it, and it will blend in with all this moss we are getting right now. Thanks again Leroy

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    ED, That's what I have is spinning reels, and this is going to be my first time using braided line, I will have to let you know how it turns out. But I am sure it would be better if it was on a bait-caster reel.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

im a spinning guy.....

i have all spinning reels for my fishing..... i have 2 huge baitcasting reels but they belonged to my great grandfather so i havent touched they since i found his old tackle box the same way he left it with premade leaders for tuna fishing...:canny:

i cant cast with baitcasters as far as i can with spinners so i never looked back.......

alot of people say baitcasters have better drags but ive found that to be of preference :cool2:

:0a26:

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

you cant go wrong with spiderwire.......

ive found most braids to be the same but i like softer ones......

i told myself i wouldnt try braid again but i when you have smaller reels ( 120yds of 10 lb line ) like i do its worth the $20 because you can keep it for 2 seasons......

my buddy has the same line on his reels since 04......the 35 lb line breaks at 34 lbs average.

we always keep our stuff in the cool or shade and never leave our stuff in trucks or anything like that......

i dont have anything special either....... i have good quality/balanced spinning combos form shakespeare...... ( my favorite setup is a $24 combo from kmart!!!) service it every 10 outings and youll never have a problem with reels.........

if you look at some videos on the web, there are guys that pick up light bass combos but heavy braid and tackle some pretty good size sharks or some huge ( 20-40 lb ) tuna.....

my neighbors biggest tuna was 34 lbs and he caught it on the shakespeare patriot rod set from kmart ( my favorite combo ) and 30 lb spiderwire stealth......

i have no clue where he was when he caught it but noone believed him when he showed the picture to his friends because on the ocean you see giant reels and heavy action rods... he was holding a tiny little bass rod :smile2:

:0a26:

8. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    for casting i think braid workd better on spinning then baitcasters i tryed some braid on one of my bass reels 30 lb spider wire didnt care much for its casting now if your fishing out of a boat where casting isnt an issue braid is good either way but i think u made the right choice with the spiderwire just make sure to use a mono leader cause if u hook anything with teeth it will cut the braid hope this helps

9. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    very informative.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Well if you fine that braid is not what you want ..I'd go with silver thread line ,It's a coploymere line it's tuff as nail's...has super low memory it's as smooth as silk and almost no stretch to the line at all!!! I use it both 8# and 10# for Huge channle's and there is no way they'll snap this line!! If you get a snag on the 10# line you'd be back peddeling 30 + feet before it snap's!!!!! Almost forgot to say it's on all my shimano spinning reel's.

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks James, I may wish I had known that before I bought this braided line

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well this is a never ending debate but what I can tell you is that most people that use braid here on the BoC use PP. I think that alone should speak for itself.

Even the bass pros that I know in Florida all use it now. They will tell you how it will cast father, etc. As far as stiffness or memory in PP goes... There isn't any. Once you use it and get it wet it is exactly flexible like thread. Out of the box it's slightly stiff but as soon as it's wet, and casted a few times its thread like flexible. You'll notice how limber it is when your trying to tie your knots ; )

IMO, I cant find one single thing that I don't like about PP. If you soak your new spool in water you will notice the color fades, according to PP's site this is normal and shouldn't be a worry.

This subject has come up a million and one times here on the BoC,,,like you said , check the library ; )

-Jim-

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    trilene big game is my line of choice i have 30lb on big 8 foot berkley pole and 20 lb big game on my channel catfish pole very good stuff. has not failed me. the memory is not bad very abrasion resistant and very hard to break. rick

14. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    alot of people will probably disagree but i like the plain old eagle claw monofilament 20 lb test. I have tried all of the "super lines" but i just couldn't cast it as well. And as far as strength my dad flathead fishes with it and never used bigger then 25lb test. you just have to work them a bit. he pulled in a 73 lb flat 2 yrs ago with it so you shouldn't have any trouble

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

the classic eagle claw mono is a beautiful line.......i put 20 lb on one reel a while ago and it was supersoft ald pliable.....

they dont sell it in 1/4 lb spools so i stoped using it....:embarassed:

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I kinda like the line "hey babe, my place or yours". For fishing, most anything will work. I doubt there is really one "better" line.

17. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i like hi-vis sufix elite -- 17 and 20#. I've got 20 pound PowerPro on one of my okuma's, but i haven't really tried it yet.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I still use mono. When I tried braid, I kept getting it knotted up, and it frustrated me, so I quit using it. I know it's a good line, and almost a must for trophy fishig, I just had personal problems with it. Me, not the line. :embarassed:

Anyways, for channelcats, I use 17# Red Cajun. On my spinning reels, it casts good...better than most I've tried out. It's strong, and reliable. On my bigger reels, I use 30# Red Cajun.

19. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I guess I'm an old Fart!:wink: I'm still a Mono guy. 30 Lb test with the proper drag will catch cat out of any lake. But if I fished alot of rivers with tons of debri then I might would change to higher test braids.
    Just match your line to the type of fishing you do and all will be right with the fishing world.:big_smile:

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    On my spinning reel that I use for wiper and white bass fishing, I'll use Berkley Fireline. I love the no stretch qualities and castability of this line. Great for casting light lures and finesse fishing. Transmits the bites alot better than mono. Now on my baitcasters, I have one set up with Power Pro and mono on the other. Power Pro is the best braided line I have ever tried. This stuff casts great, has great knot strength and no memory at all. My other pole has mono for drift fishing for cats. I use a braided leader when using blood bait for cats.