What would be a allround all purpose boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cataholic, May 2, 2007.

1. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am looking to buy a boat for the first time and not really sure what kind to get ... I want one to fish rivers and lakes .

2. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    I would get like a medium bass boat thats a pretty nice boat to have :big_smile:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The all around boat.... hmmmm, that would be a flat bottomed boat for shallow water, but one with a deep V hull for the rough water. One that is wide and stable but narrow enough to go between rocks. One that has deep sides so the grand kids don't fall in, and one with sides low enough that I could crawl over, even at my advanced age. You know, when you get right down to it, I don't think there is an all purpose boat. They all serve one purpose or another and you have to buy the design according to the type of fishing you intend to do. Decide that before you buy and don't deviate from your plan. Of course, If you could find a boat that fits your needs, that has just got to be the all around, best purposed boat. LOL

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lawrence tells it like it is. I totally agree. There is no all around boat.:lol: :big_smile:

5. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    brothers i disagree, i have a 15ft. aluminum v-hull, it`s deep, wide, stable
    and shallow draft.my twin sons and i fish the neuse river here in n.c.
    which this time of year is very shallow . we also fish the local lakes, and
    the pamlico sound.with no regrets to the size or seaworthiness of the vessel. it`s powered with a 40hp. motor that gets us around just fine.
    please understand that any vessel is only as good as it`s helmsman.
    common sense plays a vital role in this.
    Jason,good luck with what ever you choose, Get to know your and your
    vessels limitations. chris.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Boston Whaler...my friend's family has one and we ski behind it, and sometimes they fish off it. I think it has a 90 or 115 hp and is maybe 16-17 feet long.

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    If you are going to fish the lake alot I would go with a deep v. My father in law has a 17 ft Sea nymph deep-v with a 40 hp suzuki. It works great on both the lake and river and has lots of room.

8. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Id get a boat that is welded and ribbed well. I tore my first boat up pretty bad in about a years time. It just wasn't reinforced that well at the transom or the hull.

If its just a fishing boat. Id say a welded jon MV hull around 15 ft-17 ft. Tough and reasonable.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You need a 18 foot 7 and a half foot wide modified hull with live wells in the front and back. One with casting platforms on the front and back for bass fishing with a foot controlled motor, bass seats front and rear. The boat should also be equiped with spider rod holders so you can cropy fish 6 poles front the front seat. If a smaller person is involved you should have seats bases low in the boat. If you want to cat fish the boat should have 2 seats side by side on the rear with rear rod holders for 6 rods. If you want to troll you rod holders should be adjustable and mounted to the floor for strength. This boat should also be equiped with downriggers and an electric anchor system that can be lowered from the drivers seat. The boat should have at least 3 built in storage areas as well as a built in cooler. The boat should also have 2 fish finders and a underwater fish camera. It should also come with a bimini top and cover. You want this all to be like new without paying the new price and it should have a lifetime hull made of aluminum with a 90 horse mercury motor with a built in fuel tank and a nice trailer with full size tires. Just in case you might want to hunt from it the boat should be have a comeo paint job

I just happen to have this very boat and it is for sale only because I can't use it alone. It has less than 30 hours on it I have over 16,000 in it and will take 10,500 for it. I can deliver the boat. It is a MV 1885 HF model 2004 model polar kraft. There is no wood in this boat all decking is the newer marine board that can never rot. This boat is unsinkable and gets great mileage.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The Most Perfect Boat is One that's Paid for and the Pink's in the Glove Box!!! L.O.L. J.D.
    :beat_plaster:

11. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I don't think there is such a thing. Anyboat has is pros and cons. My boat is a 14 foot MV john with a 25 merc. It is set up perfectly to duckhunt rivers, creeks and flooded timber. It does pretty well catfishing adn bream fishing with 2 people during the day but only 1 at night. I would never try to catfish with it on the Santee lakes unless I was fishing the banks and creeks around it. Ifthe wind got up I'd be wet in no time. When we got othe lake we take Catmanlo's 18 foot polarcraft with a 75 E-Tech and it's still rough riding in rough water.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If you try to find a "do it all" boat, you're going to end up with one that does it all, poorly.

Figure out what kind of fishing you really want to do and buy the boat that is best suited for that style.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The best boat you are ever going to get in will be...........TaDa; somebody elses.:lol:Understand this; YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY WITH THE ONE YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!Simply because its 2 feet to short.Yep thats right you probably wished you went ahead and got the bigger one.I'll bet you came to that conclusion while towing the new one home.Same for the motor,guarantee you will say to yourself 'Self, I sure wish I got the 60 instead of the 40"or "I wonder how fast I could go with the 100 instead of the 75"?:eek:oooh:What I would recommend is what T said; decide how and where you intend to use it then do research into types and models that will meet your needs.REACH FOR THE CHECKBOOK LAST and only after much research which includes having a dealer give you a test ride. Put the plug in before you launch:lol: :cool2: :smile2: :roll_eyes: :embarassed: :wink:

14. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks everyone for all the reply's I got I will definetley have to do alot more research , but the main purpose of catching catfish in lakes but rugged enough to take an occassional trip to the river

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I wish I would have done a little more research before I bought mine but I am pretty happy with the one I got, its a triton duck boat. There are things I love about it but also there are things that I wish it had. Depending on what you want to spend, I was looking online and I think the best looking, and ready to cafish boat would be the sea ark river cat, that thing is set up so good and has so many things that you could fish for about anything out of it. I mean, it has a 60 gallon livewell, you could almost get in it. After all the boats I have looked at, that is the one I would of bought if I did a little more research.

16. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I couldn't just think of one to suit me so I bought a 15 foot rinker with walk thru bough and 70 hp motor. i used it for river and lakes and skied behind but found myself wanting a more river fish boat and gutted it out and sat on coolers but then found out family was tired of sittingon coolers so I put seats back in... now no room.

I now have 4 boats

15 foot rinker
    10foot john boat 10hp
    14 foot fiberglass 33.3 hp
    15 foot aluminum (totally gutted with wood floor and live well)

hope you find one that suits you other wise you may have to have 2 after all..

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We both would like to have a boat. He asked me if I have ever driven a boat? I say no how about you? He says no! I'm thinkin to myself ok we're in trouble. There are way too many people who drown in the Missouri River. Granted the ones I have heard reports of were because they got to drinking became intoxicated and thought they could swim this river. Thats a NO NO always,that river will kill ya if it gets a chance. However, I know that the good honey holes are beyond my reach,so I'd like to have a boat. I just wish I knew of someone who could train us on how to navigate her without getting in trouble. Bearing in mind that no matter how careful a person is there can still be accidents.I would plan on having life jackets on at all times while on the River, I just want to learn how to get to the honey holes,read a fish finder all the important things one needs to learn. Personally I too have no idea what kind of boat to go after since it's strictly for catfishing!!:confused2:

18. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I'm sure there are some BOC members where you live with boats and I'm sure most of them would be more than happy to train you. If I lived in MO I would take you out myself, its not hard, just have to know how to read the river and never let your guard down. The first step would be to take a boaters safety course to learn the basics, and then all you need is the experience.

19. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Check out the Carolina Skiffs. I think those are the best all-around boat an average person can afford. Thats what I'm wanting to get. Bass boats are cool, but you have limited space on one, unless you can drop 30 or 40 grand on a big one. pontoons are really cool, except for the fact that they are kinda slow and hard to manuver.

http://carolinaskiff.com/boatbuilder/index2.htm

20. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    There is a lot to consider when buying a boat and like most have already said there is no boat that is perfect for everything and you have to decide your highest priorities for usage and make those decide your most important features. Several things to consider is you are better off to buy something that will offer good local dealer support if you need it whether you buy new or used. If your local area has say a good dealer available for Evinrude/Johnson and also has a good Yamaha dealer then you would be much better off purchasing a boat powered by one of those brands rather than powered by a Mercury which the closest Mercury dealer may be 150 miles away from you. Also you say that you will be fishing rivers and if the rivers you fish are like most rivers which the water depths can vary greatly and there is the possibility of hitting or scraping rocks and submerged logs and stumps generally a good quality aluminum boat may be better suited for your needs as a fiberglass boat will not be as forgiving and may leave you with a nice crack or hole when you run up on a rock that you didn"t see under the surface where generally the tin boat will not suffer that type of major damage. Good luck in you quest!