What works in your area for bluegills?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by delawareriver, Mar 20, 2006.

1. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    here are 5 top lures that work well in eastern PA

5- small crankbaits, itsy bitsy minnow that i find at walmart works the best but many others workhttp://images.ebsco.com/pob/lurenet/catalog/bigant-c.jpg

4- small plastic worms. any color with these, i rig with a jig or a small split shot http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/articles/IFM0501_MiniPanfish6sm.jpg

3 spinners- roster tails and a matzuo spinner works great, best in sizes between 1/8 and 1/32 with shad colors working the best where small shad are found. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/IMAGES/06SPOONS.GIF

2- wolly buggers for you fly fishers! any color but brown, black, olive and white work best
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/woolyworm.jpg

1- another flie- poppers! you cant beat them and they are the funniest way to catch the bluegills.http://www.thebentrod.com/pics/fly4-2.jpg

what do you guys use where you live?>

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    live crickets either on a fly rod or an ultralight in water 4-8 feet deep over sandy bottom.
    You'll kill them big bluegills and the occasional bass caught cruising their beds.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've used spinner baits, jigs, crickets, etc., but nothing so far has worked as well as red worms. I catch tons of bluegill on em.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I just use plane ole worms or crickets

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have to agree on the crickets, they work very well. Also small garden worms work very well too. I seldom use lures when you can buy a full tube of crickets for a couple dollars, instead of spending a couple on one lure you can lose on the first cast.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    1/5 of a nightcrawler on a #10-14 hook under a bobber 12-18" seems to work the best for me... though some places weightless on a small circle (size 6) works well cause they take it and run, hooking them selves...

as for lures, i don't usually use them though i have them pecking at my 4 inch plastic worms when im killing time fishing for ba$$...

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Crickets and wax worms are my favorite.
    ST

8. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i use just a waxworm and i can catch them one after another,can catch enough for a fishing trip in less than an hour

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Wee bit O NightCrawler on a bobber.

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i enjoy using a jig just for the fact i don't half to keep rebating and they don't swallow them as often.

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    A small piece of worm works well enough around here, my kids and the wife love to catch them when nothin else is biting.

AL

12. flannelman

flannelman New Member

fly poppers work real good round here. and its fun. also nightcrawlers on a small hook under a bobber work real good for them gills

13. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I have always had good luck with live crickets.

14. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    earthworm or waxworm and bobber and a tiny hook smaller the hook the better. Caught over 20 gills in 2 hrs on that im a believer...
    Joe

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Crickets, small piece of worm, very tiny gold spoon

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    piece of night crawler on the smallest hook u can find, under a bobber always worked for me.u get a hold of a big 1/2-1 pound bluegill and your in for a heack of a fight

17. shadow

shadow New Member

A Popeye jig tipped with a wax worm and fished under a bobber with an ultralite spinning outfit works wonders.

18. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    The best baits around here are nightcrawlers and crickets.Always managed to bring in a few with these baits.

19. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have used nearly everything. They either bite well or ignore you. Hmm must be female. lol just kidding ladies. I still love cutworms for them.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Crickets is the bait that I use for blue gills. Slip bobber on an ultra-light rod.works for me!!