What works for me

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by pappy3, Sep 17, 2007.

1. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Bros this is what I find that works for me! I never fish on the bottom on the fall and winter. I fish at two depths , at 9 ft and 23ft bellow the surface. I always fish here in this lake over a river bed that is under water and I key in on outside bends of this river fishing the drop off at or over it!! I am sharing this because I have read a lot of tips that others have given , this I think will work in any body of water with depth . The size of fish has always been consistently large,I know you can fish other depths and catch, I have and what I have learned is if you want to target large blues fish the thermoclines.
    I have found watching this lake that the thremocline here shows up still even though the water temp dives into the 40's. I will say you have to adjust the sensitivity high to see it but it is there! Here the temp warms up enough during the day that you have to fish deeper but not on the bottom. I know this goes against what you normally do but friends it does work ! I have done this in Louisiana as well as texas on lakes that have drop offs so that it creates structure that these big fish travel through! I hope this helps my bros in fishing have a wonderful fall and winter fishing season! GOD BLESS!! pappy3

2. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    That does makes alot of sense. Explains why people, including me, miss alot of fish.

3. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I always fish channel bends in the lake with good success. Caught my biggest blue in one. Blue are going to suspend above them depending on water temp.

4. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey John, I'm assuming your using slip floats? I've been looking at buying some slip floats, just curious which type you use? Thanks bro for the great post!:cool2: Can't wait to hook-up in the future to make some cat trips!!:big_smile:Thanks again John!!!

5. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
  6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am not going to say your wrong, it just goes against what I have always done. I don't think I would know where to start. But I am going to give it a try this winter. I have a lake that would have the old river beds to try nearby so I let you know how it works for me.

7. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    I know it does go against the grain but if you try it right it does work:wink:
    I was hesitant telling everyone this but I want others to enjoy what I enjoy!
    I never fish deeper than 9 ft or 23 ft and all I catch are the big boys!
    I fish those exact depths though not a foot higher or lower and like I said I did it in louisianna as well as texas! Remember to fish the outside bends of the under water river banks because when it was a flowing river timber stacked up in there because of erosion and flooding! Do let me know !:big_smile_2:
    pappy3

8. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is definately worth a shot. Just curious, where did you fish in Texas?

9. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish on lake sam rayburn , still do I live 1/4 mile off the lake , 4 miles from hanks creek landing

:wink:pappy3

10. fjoe11

fjoe11 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One easy way to find the thermocline is to locate fish, including baitfish on your depth/fishfinder. The general depth where the bulk of bait and other fish hang out corrolates to the thermocline.

11. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yes you are correct on that one!:wink: I found that out by mistake years ago . I find it is funny to me that I have fished for catfish with my dad since before I went to school , basically all my life and I still learn something just about everytime I go out! I never get bored fishing because I always look for something to learn!! pappy3

12. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I fish some on Oak Hollow lake here in NC. One of our BOC memebrs shared with me that the "window" on that lake for blues is 18 to 20 feet of water. If you drift in areas that have at least 18 to 20 feet of water across channels and down channels you will catch fish. I must admit that it has worked.
    I am sure that there are blues feeding in shallow water but you rarely catch one in that lake shallower than 16 feet with 95 percent of the bigger fish in the 18 to 20 foot window. On the graph you often see a lot of big fish suspended aound that depth but it is just as common to see big fish on the bottom at all depths so I do not think the thermacline is the entire answer.

When the blues aren't biting we often drift along the shore lines crossing feeder creek openings and catch quite a few channel cats. Depth doesn't seem to matter as much to them.
    :big_smile:

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    riddle i know what you are saying because i see it on the yadkin chain aswell but if you notice he said he catchs the bigger fish. there is something to what he is saying because thats why the juggers are killing our lakes. i just havent got it figured out myself yet either. last spring i was wearing the channel cats out when a jugger came up to me and explain what he had been catching and how. long story short......it was just like this post said. suspened baits over deep water and fish over 70lbs in the fall. its a untapped area to most fisherman. i would like to know how far away from the boat you are placing your slip corks and do you anchor on the ledges? how important is the structure to suspened fish? i will be trying this winter myself with this method. what amazes me though that would work is our lakes have started there turnover because we catching fish deep now. in the summer you wasting your time deep.

14. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Structure, structure,structure, all fish relate to structure! Fish as tight as you can and not get hung up everytime! As far as how close to fish from the boat has a few variables#1 how quiet can you be? #2 how far can you be and still put it where you want it?# where is the wind and where is the current? sometimes it is a trade off do you fish the wind and not get the bait where you want it or the current? I say fish as far as you can and still control presentation ! Fishing with a bobber can sometimes eat your lunch if you have a cross wind! current will flow the bobber in one direction down stream, wind on the otherhand can just do as it pleases with your bobber, so you have to position your boat as close as you can to contorl what you can but still stay out of the hole! Like I said before you can fish on the bottom and still catch but what works for me to catch the biguns is 9ft and 23 ft! Hey it is fishing find what works for you and go have fun!:big_smile: pappy3

15. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    John, what type of baits are you using? Also, how big is the bait? I have been using bluegill, both live and cut, and shad.

16. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have been using the same ! perch,shad what ever gets in my perch trap!
    last year the lake came up and scattered the bait and couldn't catch any so I used chicken wennies:big_smile:and mexican sausage and still caught! LOL It was just for fun to see if it would work and it did!