What will you be planting this year?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, Jan 17, 2010.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I know y'all have been going through seed catalogs. So what are you going to plant this year? Looks like Bo and I will be sticking to what we did last year: tomatoes, peppers, squash, beans, cukes, and corn. What about y'all?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I got my orders today:

Too many cukes last year, cut in half.
    Not enough tomatoes last year, double.
    Not enough peppers last year, double.
    Too many beans last year, do not plant any, we got enough already in the freezer.
    Corn is about right, could use more.
    Do not plant zucchini this year.
    Keep the cukes away from the tomatoes, blocking pathway.

Yeas dear, anything you say dear. ;)

3. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    The way this economy is going it might not be Legal LOL J/K people J/K :wink::wink:

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Taters, maters, onions, corn, squash, 2 kinds of beans, 4 kinds of peppers and cabbage. And what ever else the betters half wants

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,I'll be doing the usual ,onions ,garlic ,Dill, Tomatos, Cukes,[both pickling and salad type} Peppers ,peppers peppers,beans, and some kind of squash,I think I'll go back to yellow summer squash,too much zuccini still in the freezer. And last but not least OKRA!!!,Might have a seperate plot for some watermelons and cantelope,and maybe a punkin vine for the grandkids.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    By the 5'th amendment I choose not to awnser this question. Because my awnser may incriminent myself..:handcuffs:

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It really depends if I can get my field in,,, last year I had white caps in it, when I should have been planting, so that ruined the sweet corn and melons... I'll probably get seed taters in 50 pound bags this year,,, the food bank really likes new potato's and so do I. I'll probably do 100 pounds of seed potato's if they are on sale like last year,,,15 a 50 pound bag at Rural King.

I want to pick up a 100 roots of asparagus,,, neighbors darn cows got in my early garden and really did a number on my asparagus bed,,,100 roots should fill in some of the bare spots. I love that stuff.

8. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Yummy, asparagus. Haven't had any in a while. Sounds like we could start our own farmers market on here!

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lots of tomatos, onions, green beans, watermellon, peppers, and more maters!!! rollo

10. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Got the grandkids cuttin 6"X6" squares of news paper so it will be ready for Tater planting time.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Whats the 6" X 6" paper for? A new one on me!!

12. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Got in trouble with the wife on that one. Its a trick I played on grandkids. Told them it was the keep the dirt out of the potatoes eyes when we planted them.

The family thinks I have a weird type humor any way.

13. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Ill be planting catfish bait :sarcastic:...Whats new..Im making some that i have to put under ground for it to blend up:wilt:..lmao

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If mine were around all the time I woulld be having them doing 1"X1". LOL

15. festus

festus New Member

I'm not sure yet, my garden is about 35' wide and 90' long. Usually it's:

Leaf lettuce mix
    Spinach
    Arugula
    Mesclun Mix
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Radish
    Yellow Squash
    Zucchini
    Patty Pan Squash (for stuffing)
    White Half Runner beans
    Golden Queen or Silver Queen Sweet corn
    Roma Tomatoes
    Early Girl Tomatoes
    Brandywine Tomatoes
    Burpee Long Keeper Tomatoes
    Cherry Tomatoes
    At least one variety of yellow tomato
    Pickling cucumbers
    Slicing cucumbers
    Eggplant
    Bell Pepper-green, yellow, orange, and red
    Cayenne Pepper
    Jalapeno Pepper
    Serrano Pepper
    Tabasco Pepper
    Anaheim Pepper
    Butternut Squash
    Acorn Squash
    Cushaw Pumpkin
    Long Island Cheese Pumpkin (best tasting variety around, a dull tan color)
    Crimson Sweet Watermelon
    Burpee Hybrid or Ambrosia Cantaloupe
    Clemson Spineless Okra

And I'm sure I've overlooked something

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  16. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Yep, we can definitely open a farmers market now, thanks Festus!

17. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    More like field festus!!lol...You must not have dogs!!lol..or you have a HUGE property!!

18. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Well last year we had a lotta corn and peas and puny half dead tomatoes and cukes, this year we are gonna do a bit different. As of right now the plans are sweet corn, field corn, okra, acron squash, yellow crookedneck squash, bell peppers, green beans, tomatoes of course, cucumbers and zucchini. This year we are gonna do a row or 2 of potatoes and some broccoli. Maybe we can get the garden in the ground without havin to dodge the rain. I think that is what happened to the garden last year, first it drowned and then it burned up.
    I do have a question for some of you older gardeners tho..... do any of you do "companion planting"? I go by the moon phases and different things, but this is the use of flowers and specific garden layout of putting one plant beside another so they feed off each other and produce better .. such as corn and peas. If I remember it right the way it was explained to me... the corn gives off some form of nitrogen or something that peas need to grow well and peas give off something that corn needs to grow well. And planting radishes in hills around squash plants to ward off squash bugs. I want to know more about this, may try to implement it into my garden this year.
    Send me a PM if you have any info on this please.

19. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Punkin, we plant marigolds around the tomatoes to keep bugs off of them. Worked like a charm last year.

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Planting??? I am still harvesting!

Brought in the first go round of late turnips yesterday. :party:
    I expect two more pulls and have the leaf lettuce to start coming in just before it is time to turn the dirt again.
    Here where I am we don't stay frozen all winter, a week here and there of above freezing temps is good enough for slow growth.

Been a while since I had a winter garden but this year I am going to try expanding into carrots, chard, spinnach, galic, onions, and maybe broccoli.

The spring/summer garden will be more of my old favs, maters, green beans, herbs, lettuce, squash, radish, green peppers, nanner peppers, jalapenos.
    I probably will not do sweet corn this year on account of rotation, The way I get sun down here in the hollow if I rotate the corn it will shade the rest of the garden.