What will the weather do to the Missouri River fishing?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat junkie, Apr 3, 2007.

1. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    I live in Columbia, MO and plan on fishing the Missouri River this weekend, however they are calling for cold temperatures and I noticed the river is a tad high. Any suggestions on where to start, such as behind the dykes or in the channel? I'm sure the cold weather will change the patterns of the blues so any advice would be great. Oh by the way this site is awesome. Thanks for any advice.

Scott

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Scott, based on my experience if the cold front is a quick mover it shouldnt effect the fishing too much. I'd suspect the fish will tend to be hanging in the deeper water below the dykes, and below submerged humps. If the skies are overcast, they may tend to move around and feed a little bit more. I've found a rapidly changing barometer will effect the smaller fish and cause them to shut down. The bigger fish have seen many, many frontal conditions and tend to not change their patterns as much do to a frontal passage because they are simply use to it. I can tell you what I'll be doing, as I'm going to be fishing this thursday and friday. I really like going for the "Big Fish" during big Fronts like we are going to get. By big, I mean 50 pounds or greater. I'll be using large, and small cut asian carps, and I'll be sitting my holes longer than I normally might. Big Fish will still feed during these fronts, and i've found my best chance at a pig is usually when the weather is a little fouled up. I'll be concentrating on submerged humps, and the slack side of reverse current flows in any area that has rock revetment banks. (by reverse current flows I mean anywhere that the river is going 180 degrees to the main current. I like to fish the current seam on the reverse flow side)I'll also target the downstream side of some barge docking facilities, and possibly some grain loading facilities. I dont get my hopes up for catching large numbers of fish, (because you probably wont), but I do try and hedge my bets and put a whopper in the boat. If I dont get that big one, no biggie. I'll have fun trying. :confused2: Good Luck and Be Safe.

3. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Cuz for the valuable information. I will try the tactics that you mentioned and look forward to putting a big one in the boat. I am also going to fish the Mississippi river this weekend by the Saverton Dam. If you are in that area I will keep an eye out for ya. Again, thanks for the great information and I will talk to ya later.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats funny you say that Scott. I'm actually considering running up that way and fishing either Clarksville or Saverton Dam. Not positive I can get away, but I wouldnt mind trying the fishing up there. Last time I fished it was during the Cooks Tournament weekend this past August. Best Of Luck to you. I'll be in my Big Daddy Sea Ark. With some luck we can bump into each other and tell lies. :smile2:

5. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri
    Good luck to you too Cuz. I am going to Hannibal this weekend with my girlfriend to visit her parents. They live on highway 79. There house is actually only about 45 minutes from Clarksville and about 15 minutes from Saverton Dam. I have fished the Saverton area only about 5 times so everything there is still pretty new to me. Any suggestions? I have never fished by Clarksville. I usually don't go more than 3-4 miles from the dam, but usually I stay pretty close to the dam. I will be in a 16 foot sea nymph. Not huge, but it gets me to everywhere I want to fish. I will keep an eye out for ya and yes I am always up for throwing around a few lies. Talk to ya later.

Scott

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Gentlemen, the upper pools below Clarksville and Saverton are still over flood stage with lots of debris. Be careful out there. I’m going to check a local ramp today and plan on being out on the water tomorrow. Burrrrr, we got temps in the 20’s with wind chill in the teens. I remember once seeing a picture an ole timer had of a morel stick’n up thru the snow… those conditions now exist for that to happen again… think I’ll keep a camera handy… been chasing crappie this year and haven’t even thrown my cast net or done any catfish’n… it’s time

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    This figures, I get off Friday and Monday for Easter vacation and this crap has to set in.

I guess I will just have to bundle up because theres fish to be caught even if I freeze my buns off. :lol:

Do you think the fish will still be stacked up at chain of rocks like last Sunday when it was 80? There were bigheads, shad, catfish, carp, etc loaded in there. Maybe there will be a few spooners this time.....and no more nails.:sad2:

8. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    haha we drove past the chain of rocks last friday afternoon on our way to fairmount park and we could see soooooo many people lined up snaggin.

why do so many fish congregate there?

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I hope you folks do better than I did Sunday and Monday at Weldon Springs. I caught one little 6 or 7 pound blue Sunday and none Monday. So I am gonna say the front wont hurt fishin much. I still beleive they bite 7days a week and 24 hours a day. I just couldnt figure them out. I might get out Saturday for at least half a day. Never give up.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I think me and Gary (gmvk30) are going to hit the Miss. this friday pretty hard. Well let you know how we do. I've got a pretty good spot picked out Gary. :wink: Just dont tell Kutter. :tounge_out: :tounge_out: :tounge_out:

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Cuz, I won't tell Kutter, :wink: I don't think we will have much to worry about though, from what I have gathered, Kutter don't like the cold,:cool2: and we both know what the forecast for Friday is.:big_smile:

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now that we finally have water.. I might have to fire my boat up and get back out there. My partner is like Kutter.. He doesnt like the cold and rain either..