What will cast the best distance?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by beagle1963, Jan 6, 2009.

1. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I love this site. Like alot of you I dont own a boat and have many places to fish from the bank. I won't the ultimate in a distance casting rod and reel. I have been looking at a 15' ugly stick at bass pro and maybe a 12'. What do you think?

and

Do I throw a baitcaster? or a spinning reel?

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    a big spinning reel on a 15 foot ugly is sure to send that bait .

but so would a baitcaster for that matter , i would go woth what ever you feel comfortable with .

the longer the pole the longer the cast .

Personally if it was me i would go 12 foot with a spinning reel loaded with power pro.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If there was a magic bullet, we'd all be banging out 150 yard casts. Alas...:sad2:

Get yourself something decent in a 13' surf rod, pair it with a reel that you can handle with confidence, and practice, practice, practice.

There is lots of stuff on YouTube, from some of the best in the world, on distance casting. Check it out.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    beagle, what part of texas are you in? there several casting tournaments held in texas and you can get lots of hands on advice from tournament casters.

now as far as here and now let me ask you a few questions.
    what kind of distance are you looking for? 100+ yds? first you have to understand that at the end of a cast your sinker is hitting the water at 40-70mph so not many baits can survive a long cast live or dead. next as far as bait goes again use smaller baits and be sure to use shorter leaders to reduce the helicopter effect. then there is your sinker some sinkers cast better than others. now with all that lets talk tackle for a spinning reel go with a dependable reel with an aluminum spool and use a little car polish on the spool to reduce friction. for extreme distance get a 500yd spool of braid say 20 or 30lb test. top that off with a 50lb test mono leader. next possibly the biggest debate ever rod length first use whatever length you're comfortable with. the longer the rod the longer the cast theory is debateable i have seen guys show up at tournaments "over rodded" meaning they had a rod that was too much for them to handle. i have made a ton on money outcasting guys with 12ft rods using an 8ft rod and they don't understand why. the reason is simple its all technique. which brings us to the final pointer practice, practice, practice.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the abu 6500c3 reel you can cast those a country mile, and thats with an 8 foot rod.

6. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    I agree with mark. Throw the rod that you feel right with. Some people can throw a 8FT or 9Ft rod farther than someone who has 12 or 15 foot rod. I my self like a 8 of 9 foot. On reels it depends on what are you use to using. I use to think that spinning reels was the only reel that can throw far. But I fell in love with abu reels and there you go. The thing with baitcasters is the smoother the reel the further you will throw. But also you increase you chance of a backlash. But on the other hand a good spinning reel with 20 or 30 pound will throw a mile. Like I said it just depends on what you feel comfortable with

7. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks to Catmanduex and all. North East Texas Mr. Edwards. I have posted this before and I agree with your eight foot rods. I have two ugly stick Catfish rods, eight footers, with a 6500 and a 6000 that I can make sing. Eleven or twelve feet seems comfortable, though I have one fifteen-footer thats too light for anything above two ounces.

I guess I get in these moods when the weather is a little too nasty to fish and all I can do is get ready for the spring. I am a poor fall and winter fisherman.

But, I sure would like to hit one-hundred and fifty to two-hundred yards like those guys on Youtube (thanks again for mentioning the site) and see if I can land a big winter carp or something.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My farthest casting rod & reel is a 10' rod with a great big spinning reel!:wink:

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My best casting set up is a 12' Okuma Solaris Surf rod with Abu 6500 Pro Rocket spooled with #65 Power Pro. Very light weight and smooth. Good luck.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What's best for you will depend in large part on what you expect the rig to do. Almost all of the time I need to make extremely long casts, I also need to be using heavy line, which rules out the 6500. Bought one for that purpose, and it won't do the trick. Now, if you can get by with 15#-20# braid, you can indeed cast a country mile with that reel, but I found that I could cast about 3/4 of the line off the 6500 when it was spooled with 80# PowerPro. That's not how you get maximum distance. The smaller the diameter, the more revolutions the spool has to make, which means more friction & resistance...=shorter casts. I bought a Penn 320GTi, which does the job for me much better. Also, the 6500 won't stand up to casting and retrieving really heavy baits & sinkers. Mine crapped out after about 3 years. One of these days, I'll get around to repairing it and using it for more normal catfishing. If you decide to go with spinning, the larger the diameter of the spool, and the greater the line capacity, the better. Why? As the line spools off the reel, the 'lip' of the spool becomes greater and greater; and the larger lip causes greater friction & resistance, again resulting in shorter casts.