What were they?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by metalman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    RodPod and I fished below Newbugh Dam on the Ohio on Friday. We were marking a lot of fish but couldn't buy a decent bite. I'm not convinced they were even cats. Opinions anyone??? Thanks...W

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats one hell of an indication of life there Winston. LOL! Can't beleive ya didn't get any action.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I couldn't tell you what they were,I've never used a fish finder. My thoughts on them are if you can't find fish without them,you shouldn't be fishing JMO.

4. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    The echos look pretty big. If there weren't any cats down there, there was a large school of something. Maybe they were full from Thanksgiving! :D

5. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX
    Ya'll have stripers in the ohio river dont you ? thats my only guess as to what they could be

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So, Swampy, I shouldn't be fishing huh? My first thought was to not even dignify that comment with an answer but hey why not. F.Y.I I do not have xray vision so I use my graph primarily to locate structure cos that's what the fish relate to. I have caught many many fish on structure that showed no fish at all but when I see a bunch of fish I am not going to ignore them. You notice I use the term graph because I do not like the term Fish Finder. For the first 32 years of my life I didn't use a graph. Hell I didn't even use a boat and did just fine. I can read a water pretty good and if you take me to a lake of your choosing within half an hour I will tell you the depth in any spot within a hundred yards of where we are standing. I will tell you whether the bottom is rock, gravel, mud or sand and if it is weedy. If there is an off shore gravel bar or hump within casting distance I will tell you where it is, how wide it is and how far below the surface the top of it is. If you put me on a river Blah, Blah, more of the same! I have paid my fishing dues and I see no reason why using a graph to find the edge of a channel, a hole or a wing dike the easy way should preclude me or anyone else from fishing. J.M.H.O.
    My question was simply what are guys opinions on what these fish were...W

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Winston, I might just agree with Swampy...but only because if you aren't out there catching all the fish, Vic might just have a chance! :p :p :p

Now, on the other hand, I am such a lousy fisherperson (not from lack of trying :rolleyes: ) I have been considering checking into a fish finder...first I need hubby to buy me a boat though! :wub:

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    We've ran this rabbit before.Graphs are equipment just like modern day rod and reels,boats and any other peice of fishing gear.To be successful,you need a graph.If you sit on the bank ,no you don't ,but alot of fishermen,including myself fish alot of open water sturcture.I don't understand how anybody can knock a graph.If it makes me any less of a fishermen in your scope ,thats fine,but I know what I'm capable of using a graph.If a graph is like cheating,then maybe we need to go to the 1800's.This is 2005,if it can help me in any way to increase my chances of catching a world class or even a state class trophy I'm going to us it. :D

9. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Depthfinders,graphs are a part of fishing just like anything else,in my opinion!If not,the we shouldn't be using rod and reels ,we should all be using willow limbs and cane poles.
    Leakyboat

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Pretty bold statement there Mr. Swampy! I guess ya don't use tools to work on any thing either. LOL! Like Winston said. I also use it as a graph to show me the bottom contours and structure. You must be one hell of a fisherman to be able to see whats 20 or 30 feet below the surface.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The river I fish is no more than 10' deep in a lot of stretches, and 5' deep in even more. I do use a graph but mainly for depth, water temp, and speed. I have to fish the river by what kind of stumps and trees are in the water and sand bars, bends, feeder creeks etc.. So far I have never even tried to catch something by what the graph says is down there because its so shallow, but I am sure if I ever go to deeper water it will help a lot.

12. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I'm all for using fishfinders,gps,etc....! You'll keep buying them!That helps me bring home the bacon! :)

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have to agree that there is nothing wrong with using a fish finder. Not neccassarily to find fish (not that theres anything wrong with that eithier) but to also help you find the right structures and things that fish hang around.

Good luck! :)

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    not much i can ad to whats been said already. cept i love my depthfinders i love having it setup for shallow depths i have it set for 3feet of water it sounds a alarm when i hit 3 feet so i can slowdown and maybe not tear off my lowerend on my merc. as for what kind of fish are showing i would have no way of telling. but you sure have a lot of action on it lol.

15. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Metalman I couldn't have said it better myself! I have seen this same thing myself but cant tell ya what it is, it baffles me too.Sonars are a valuable tool as are many other tools.We all have to put in a hard days work at times but theres no reason to everyday.Work smart not hard!

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Pssst.....swampy you don't like fishfinders huh.....well look at the fish your holdin' and then look at the fish the guys who like fishfinders are holdin!!! I think we win!!!

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Bod-A-Bing...... Bod-A Boom !

18. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    as far as your question winston.my dad and i also fished the river on friday and we had alot of fished marked on the depth finder,some places they where just stacked but in those places we couldnt buy a bite either and we thought for sure they where cats but they just where not hungry i guess,we did catch a couple nice cats but they where in spots where very few fished showed on the depth finder but lots of cover.
    and about the use of depth finders/fish finders/graphs or what ever ya prefer to call them,if you want a chance at the biggest fish in the waters you fish a depth finder is needed almost as much as a rod and reel and bait. my cat of choice is flathead and it is almost impossible to locate and consistanly catch MATURE flats with out the aid of a depth finder,exspecially in large rivers and lakes,flats like underwater structure,and how are you gonna find that structure without the aid of a finder...i owe 99% of the mature flats i catch to my depth finder...........and you dont need alot of money and a fancy boat to catch big mature cats either,i have my depth finder hooked up to my cheap yard sale jon boat,i go out with my depth finder find good locations close to banks,go to the bank clear it off,set up and take my lines out with the boat and drop rite on top possible flat heads.no casting needed and i got maybe $300.00 invested in my boat and depth finder....but anyway sorry for ramblin

19. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Maybe carp ? Buffalo ? or what about those drum ? do you have those back there ?

20. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I think that it could have been anything, they were very concentrated right outside of the last open spicket along a sand bar. When you think about what kind of big fish could be there, these come to mind; catfish, spoonbill, carp, large striper, drum, and possibly gar. There were actually about twice as many echos closer to the dam as we were drifting back this is where we took the pictures. As far as using a depth finder, I think it is a time saving tool since you can find out what kind of depths the fish are comfortable at and what kind of structure is around you. Just because you dont see fish doesnt mean they arent around. I think almost all the fish we caught this weekend were in spots where we didnt see many fish. The only nice blue was caught around 500 feet from where all these fish were marked above. Who knows. I am also posting a picture of a wing dike that is under the water. We used the depth finder alot just to find the right spot on the upstream side to get an anchor to hold the boat in that turbulent water.

Attached Files: