What # weight

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by chrisatrpm, Sep 10, 2009.

1. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wondering what everyones using for weight in the swifter current areas on the mississippi. Right now the largest mold I have is 5oz. I see Do-It makes a 6 & 8oz mold and also a 14 (bank sinker style) Is the 14 enough?, overkill? or is there a better option.

Thanks in advance

2. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I cant afford to fish with led in the Mississippi from the bank. I fill a plastic 16 oz cup with Portland cement and add a loop of galvinized wire. After setting up, it roughly weights 16 to 16.5 oz. and sometimes its still not enough. I then use a 17 pound liter on the weight in order that it breaks away during the fight.

I use lead up to 4 oz in the smaller rivers like the Meramec. It's all in where you fish and the stage of the river. If it holds where you put it than its enough weight.:big_smile:

3. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Chris,
    I use from 2-24oz bank sinkers. We (gateway) have a get together called lead fest every so often. Everyone beg, borrows, or "steals" as much lead as they can and we all have a sinker making party of sorts. They are way to expensive to buy premaid. Once you start looking around for lead you'll be suprised how much you can collect.
    If you are looking to buy some more molds to go with your 5oz. I would suggest a combo 6/8, a 12oz,a 16oz, and a 24oz. mold. I would probably purchase them in that order right now if you don't want to get them all at the same time. The current isn't very strong right now in the river and should stay that way till the water starts to rise again. Good luck!

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm thinking that a mid year Gateway Leadfest would be a good idea. Sounds like alot of folks are running thin already from Januarys gathering. Let me check my schedule and perhaps we can have a lead gathering at the barn.

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I still have tire weights in my truck from the FIRST lead stock...

Talk about lazy people....:eek:oooh:

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I use 8oz. weights more than anything and I'm about out, so I'm up for a leadfest. I'll start trying to get some more good clean lead.

7. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the input

If someone wants to organize a get together I have several hundred pounds of lead ingots. Would sure beat shelling out $$ for a mold that gets use for a hour to make a several year supply.

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    lets throw some dates out there... What date would work for everyone??
    Im open as long as i have a week notice

9. chrisatrpm

chrisatrpm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Anytime after mid October works for me, this would probably do best in a new post.