What weight & type sinker do you use?????

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by truckin4x4, Jul 26, 2006.

1. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i really just use alot of tear drop sinkers and i useulley have to use 2 couple to get out there. i just got some 2 ounce sinkers but haven't ever used any thing like that

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a wide variety of sinkers. i use no-rolls at the river a lot, but my most common is a 1 ounce on a slip rig. i can use it on bottom or with a float.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like the eggsinkers from 1/2-2 ounce for lake fishing depending on the bait and flexible sinkers for drift fishing at about the same weights. for river fishing up to 3 ounces.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    i use 2 oz bank sinkers and they seem to be sufficient most of the time. However, the water in the canals around here move so swiftly that I have been thinking of going up to a 3 or 4 oz.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use a variety of sinkers but the one I use most is the 2 oz. egg sinker.

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish the majority of time in the Mississippi River around Lock and Dam 19. I have found the noroll to be better for me below the Dam in heavy current, and I use an egg sinker above the Dam. The biggest I use is mostly 3 oz, I have some molds and make them as needed. I also use a bank style sinker #'s 4-5 when using live bait sometimes. Later Andy

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey you guys are a big help. i've been fishing for a while now and i'm no expert. thats why i ask questions

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i fish the ohio river and have never used anything but 5oz bank sinkers the water here is normally quite fast and if iv got live shad or skippies i want them to stay put

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Whenever I use egg sinkers in current, the rig rolls and I always end up with more snags. does anyone else experience this?

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish a small river here in Ohio and i like egg sinkers. Anywhere from 2-4 oz depending on the current. As for snags with them. I don't seem to get alot of snags.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I pretty much use 5 oz bank, no-roll or 5 1/2 oz claw sinkers. Usually fish with my big poles and try to put the bait out a country mile from the bank.

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use a great variety of sinkers, but my favorite is becoming the spoon sinkers. I just pull the end of the pole up and start reeling, they come up off the bottom quick and I have had a lot less snags since starting to use them. Egg sinkers are my second choice.

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I usually use a 3 or 4 oz egg sinker, depending on what Condition The Ohio River is in

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use mostly 2 or 3 oz but I often find myself not using enough weight, close but not enough and I don't know why I do that..LOL

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is why i use No-Rolls(Banks and Slips), they stay put. Although there are times when fishing in low current sittuations, you don't really need them. I will use from 3 to 5 oz's in the river here most of the time and when the river is running good, I may have to grab a 6 or an 8oz to hold it down.

16. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    egg sinkers roll easily in the current no matter how many ounce weight you have. try a pyramid or no roll sinker those will hold well with less weight. if fishing snaggy areas would suggest the no roll over the pyramid.

17. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have been using 3ounce egg sinkers i make myself, I plan on getting a no-roll I'm just saving up!

Josh

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Dang, guess I'm the lightweight here. For lake fishing, I use 3/4 oz eggs carolinal rigged, or 1/2 eggs rigged the same way for lighter rods. I drift mostly and they seem to be working just fine.

19. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Mr. Dreadnaught, who's that good lookin' blonde in your avatar..?:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible. ~George Burns

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use the 2 and 3 oz no-roll sinkers (carolina rig), when fishing the Ohio river during normal pool. Of course I move up to 4 and 5 oz no-rolls when the river is high or in stronger current. If Im fishing a lake I'll switch to the 2 oz bank style sinkers. I also use the bank style sinkers when using a 3-way rig.