What water temp do things start picking up?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by hossdaniels, Feb 19, 2009.

1. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I know lots you are diehard catfisherman, I'm not. I just wanna go when they are biting good. Normally I catfish after july 4, but I know there is a good bite before the spawn, which starts when exactly?

I like to start bass fishing when the water is between 55-60 (late march here) degrees, would it be the same for catfish?

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The flats should start to bite by then

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    here in missouri channel and blue cats can be caught year round . Ive caught them in water temps in low 30 s with ice sheets still on the water and when coves are still froze over . but when water temps are over 45 seems the channel cats start feeding good ,
    I do some crappie fishing in march around theese water temps and many times caught channel cats on minnows when crappie fishin .

A few warm sunny days in march look for them shallow and up in creeks after a good rain .

for me flatheads is best with water temps over 65 .

4. barbelboy

barbelboy New Member

State:
    MN
    I agree with catfishscotty. Up here in MN we even catch them icefishing. But i've found once the water hits the 40's they start to get more active.

5. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I think its good to go out just about the time that its warm enough to start getting those shallow spots up in temp with the sunlight. This draws baitfish and hence, predators. Another good sign that things are going to pick up is when the rain is warmer than the water.

Just remember that the water heats up from the top down. Getting the warm spots when there are still frigid temps in the deep holes will narrow the playing field. At least it does for me.

Tang

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    the magic temp is 50 degrees when flats move I'm sure a little below that they will start movin a little

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree, around 50 degrees is when the cats start getting active. I also watch for fruit trees to bloom. This means warmer weather:wink:

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Far as the channels. I don't know that there is a temp where they really stop feeding. Albeit It doesn't get super cold here. Water temps usually hang in the low 30's in the winter. far as the blues, seems they start getting lathargic once the temp gets close to 32 or so. But hang on when that water temp is in that 40 to 60 range. Just seems like that is a fun time to be chasing the blues around here.

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive been fishing for cats for quite some time...i usually have my best luck when the water temps reach around 50 degrees. Not having the best like this time of year. The water temp is around 40....unfortunately...

10. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Channels will bite year round but the bite picks up a bunch when the water hits around 50 degrees

11. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Folks around these parts have been catching them lioke crazy and the water temp is in the 50's