What Water Depth Seemed To Work For You Better This Year???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 16, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I keep a log every year on the flatheads I catch. I try dialog everything from water temps, moon phases and frontal systems. I also keep track of water depths. that fish are caught from. Seems to me that this year 10-15 ft. gave up more fish than in years past throughout the year. I usually catch fish more shallow during the mid summer months, but not so much this year. Did a certain depth range seem more productive for you? Maybe I just targeted these areas more than usual. Like to hear your input.:wink: rollo

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Almost all my fish came from deeper water this year. I only caught a few right on the bank. The weather never stayed steady either no rain or too much rain. Mid summer was terrible the river looked black like there was no oxygen in it at all. I did catch alot of flatheads and some real good channels this year though. Im happy but not satisfied with my year. I lost some good fish this year early but theres always next year. Id love to get on the big river with one of these guys this winter to chase down some of them big blues!

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Kip, I have plans to make it to the Ohio at aleast a couple more times if I can. Maybe on one of my future trips you will be able to join me. Hell, if we only drifted for Blues, and didn't bother with any bottom fishing, I could take 3-4 people. It wouldn't be the most desirable set-up, but it would work in a pinch. :big_smile:

Maybe I could get some rod holders before future trips and make things a bit better. I'll have to get working on that. But the offer stands if I can make it out some more.

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I'am about the same most of the fish i caught this year was in 10 or 12 feet of water. The best spots were 10 feet drop off close to the bank.

5. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i agree most of mine have been caught round the 10-15 ft range. and wasnt a very productive year as well. hopefully next year will be better.

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I did not catch many fish this year, but the ones I did catch came from 25 feet of water or more....I never even try to fish anything under 25 feet.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its been a weird year, its seems like most of my fish came between 8ft and 60ft...:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:....Sorry, I woke up to my son screaming at 8am, so now that my head is pounding, I figured I would joke with you all!...:0a33:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know the feeling. My kids are used to getting up at 6am for daycare. Weekends they still think they are going!:smile2: rollo

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught almost all my fish 3' deep on a Kat Bobber. Thats about all I fished for was suspended fish. Now its getting colder im going to the bottom which will be a max of 20', thats all I got here.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    8-15 feet was the best for me this year

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Mine seemed to be in 6-8 feet of water this year.

13. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    10 foot worked at a few diffent places for me