What was your first reel

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jedimanhunter, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice to know I can still fish the same way today as i did back in the day right down to my very first open face reel my uncle bought for me back about 1980. A red diawa millionare. I still have it, it still works but it usually only fishes at home. Thats the only reel I cant replace so I dont want to loose it. I was so proud of that reel when I walked down the road to a fishing hole i was sure to have that reel facing the road so everyone that drove by saw my diawa millionare. I recon that put me about 12 years old.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    mine was a MITCHELL 300 my grandpa got for me, I too was very proud of that reel

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    A ZEBCO 202 ,WASNT IT EVERYBODYS???????

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Johnson centery.Makes me smlie thinking about it. thankx for the memories.
    smokey

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mine was a Zebco 202, I would usually go thru about 2 of them a year. Then I graduated to a Garcia Mitchell 300, boy was I moving up in the world. My fist baitcaster was a Abu 5000, I traded a friend of mine for it.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    my first reel was a old bait caster not sher of the brand i was 6 or 7 at the time so its hard to remember that far back but i do remember this it was on a old steal rod with cork handel wish i still had theam my grandfather got it for me and i also remember useing a kane pole to god i think im geting old i remember my grandfather geting realy up town with his kane pole he glued eyes on his and mounted a reel on it with hose clamps sorry i rambled you guys just stird up some good old memorys for me reps to the one that started this:wink::cool2:

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The first rod/reel I used was one of grandpas old green Johnson Centurys (Casts a country mile!) mounted on a MH Fenwick fiberglass rod.

The first one I owned was a DAM Quick spinning reel on a 6' Pfluger graphite rod....back in 1980.

Quickly followed by an Ambassaduer 4500 c3 baitcaster on a Fenwick HMG 6' MH.

Many have followed...but I can't imagine any one of my dozens of rods I have now ever catching more fish than that old Century and DAM Quick did.

Back when some type of fishing was happening EVERY single day.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    my first reel was a 202, like most other ppl. but, like was mentioned, i wore them out at an astonishing rate. even when i was 4-5 i would spend hours casting plastic practice plugs in the backyard.

when i was 8, i cut grass all summer and saved my $. at the end of the summer my mamma took me to service merchandise, and i bought a brand new daiwa baitcaster, it was about 48$'s if i remember right? anyway, it took me another couple months to buy a rod for it, and i dont remember what kind i got. the funny thing is, all i knew about casting a baitcaster was what i saw the bass fishermen do on t.v. lol. not quite that easy for an 8 year old with no instructions.

it took me about 2 years, but by the time i was 10, i could drop that old plastic plug in a 5 gallon bucket from across the yard. i used that reel for years and eventually have bought/traded for many more.

i still remember the day that reel died. i read in a field and stream article that you were supposed to take them apart and clean them. i think i was about 14 then. a couple years ago, me and Amy were cleaning out the closet and i found that old reel in a shoe box, it only had about 1/2 the parts it was supposed to have. like an idiot, i chunked it.

but, i never will forget that way that reel made me feel like i was gonna catch the biggest fish ever, every time i went out...

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    202 - one of the old ones with metal gears...strung it with 20lb mono & head fer the sippi to snagg carp and it sure was fun back then....some of them carp seemed as big as me then-my buddy Ron had to hold me a couple times so I didnt get drug in:roll_eyes:Oh what a time we had then!

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A green push button Zebco. Obtained with S&H green stamps.

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I rememer S & H green stamps george:tounge_out: I didnt collect them though...too young!!!:smile2: My 1st reel was the old red abu-5000 lots of lashes before i got the hang of it.:big_smile:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My first reel of many was a Johnson Citation. Mow several yards to pay for it.

13. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    count me in ! after the cane pole my first reel was a Zebco 202:roll_eyes::cool2:

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    First reel I ever bought was a Zebco 33 back in 1966. I gave $10 for it. Last 33 I bought was 7 years ago, gave $10 for it. Some things never change. LOL

As for the first reel I ever owned, was a Zebco 202. Back then, they cost $2.00 and they really weren't worth it.

15. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    j c higgins ........ never did learn how to cast that thing ...............went back to my cane pole .......... :smile2:

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yes it was....and then a abu cardinal and mitchell 300

17. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    A Johnson Country Mile spin cast. I loved that reel up until I was 8 and it broke. Then I got my first baitcaster a Abu Garcia 5500c ( still have it and still love it)

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    My 1st reel was a Garcia Mitchel 309 bought for me by my Uncle back in 1968 when I was 5 years old! I still have it and still use it!!! :cool2:

20. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my first was a zbco 202,matched perfectly to a kmart special rod,lol