What was your first handgun?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by olefin, Nov 29, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My fist handgun was the one that put Strum Ruger in business.

Strum Ruger 22 Long Rifle pistol. $37.50, new 1956.

"Strum, Ruger & Co. Inc. began making guns in a building near the Southport, Conn., railroad station in 1949. The company's first gun was an auto-loading 22 target pistol, which sold for $37.50. Strum died in 1951."

Strum's name was dropped after his death, so mine was produced before his death.

My next handgun was a Colt Python .357 in the early 60's.

Attached Files:

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    that was my first handgun too cept i had the bull barrel and target sights. shoot woodchucks in the head at 100 yds. all day :big_smile: :cool2:

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mine was and is a Ruger single six convertible three screw. I couldn't afford the mag cylinder at the time and never got one. It is showing a lot of wear after 40 years lol Man I love that little gun. It has seen a lot of use, squirrels, rabbits and ground hogs mainly and was my companion for many a mile hitch hiking. I have a newer one now that was just to good a deal to pass up, It came with both cylinders. :cool2: Its funny how you can get so attached to something like that.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mine was a new model ruger single six 22/22mag with a 9 1/2 " bbl still got her and i can hit jackrabbits with the mag cyl. at 100 yds too.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Mine was HI-Standard HD Military, 22 auto bought it used in 1956

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Mine was a Colt pocket pistol in 25acp that my grandma gave me for just in case. It was so small I couldn't hold it and shoot it. The grip only filled my first two fingers and the lil slide would cut the web of yer hand if ya fired it. It would also really piss someone off if you shot em with it. I taken it to a gun shop & swapped it with some "boot" for a Mark I, with a 6.875" barrel & learned how to shoot well with it. It still does.
    Hope Grandma finally forgave me, LOL.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My first was a CZ75 compact in 9mm. I had to sell it because of a crazy ex g/f but when I got rid of her, I bought the same one again.

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    My first one was a Ruger Blackhawk buntline special 45. That sucker had a serious barrel on it that you could reach out and touch someone with. LOL I couldn't afford the bullets so I never got to fire it even once so I sold it, that was a looooong time ago. Sure wish I had kept it.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my first handgun was a Glock 23 .40 caliber. since then i have purchased a Springfield XD40 and i like it alot.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    My first was a colt 1911 .45auto. My dad always gave me a bad time about that pistol. Dad was a radio scout in WW2 and carried a thompson sub. He always said the 1911 was a waste of good ammo that could be put to use in a thompson. :big_smile:

11. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    S&W MODEL 29 44 MAG....10 5/8 BARREL..

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    H & R 22 cal. 9shot removeable Cyl. that was so worn out it would shave an edge off of the lead and spit out the side. My first wife will attest to that-small scar left cheek, I married her anyway. Stupid.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The first pistol I learn to shoot was my buds HI-Standard 22 auto. That was in 1950.

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    38 Special. I have an uncle who is a collector. Bought my first firearm from him.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    mine was a ruger mark 2, still use it on sqiurrels. i hate to think how many rounds that thing has eatin over the years. wait a min. forgot about the crossman pellet pistol,but that dont count. lol

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    first guns i owned was bought at same time.in 1964 i baught a kit that had a 22 long 22 mag 6 1/2 inch barrel ruger.
    a 357 with 6 1/2 inch barrel.
    a 41 mag.with a 6 1/2 inch barrel black hawk.
    a 44 mag.6 1/2 inch barrel black hawk.
    sold the 357 and the 44 mag in 1965 didnt like either one.sold the 41 mag in 1981 to get money to make a job in texas.
    still have the 22 just cant seem to bring myself to part with it.
    gave 290.00 for the complete kit in 64.sold the 41 mag for 600 in 81 wish i still had it.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    My first pistol was a co2 bb model. After that a crosman pump .177 pellet model. Got quite a few squirrel with that. Thats all before 10yo. Then I got a shotgun for my 10th xmas followed by a .22 rifle next year.

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looks as if Griz and me are the only 1911 colt 45 users around. I got in a bind back about 30 years ago and sold mine, and boy do I sure miss it. I have been looking around for another one but haven't found one I can afford right now. I did just buy a Rossi 357 new, and it seems to be an OK gun for the money. I got this one with a 6 in barrel, and I'm hoping to use it deer hunting.
    Later Andy

19. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ruger Speed six .357

20. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    What good memories your question brings to mind. It was a Hi Standard 22 with a 6" barrell. I was 14 & saved my money to buy it at PD Lentz old jotem down store. Mom signed for me to buy it. Got home, loaded that bugger up and went to the woods. Hit a squirrel the first shot and chased that thing down and clubbed it so I could say I got something with the first shot from that gun. Carried it everywhere I went on the farm. No telling how many boxes of shells I put through it. Even carried it to school so my shop teacher could help me make a leather holster for it. Principal saw me carrying the paper sack into school and asked what I had. When I showed it to him & told him why I brought it to school he admired it and just warned me to be careful with it. (things sure have changed since those days!)