What was your first computer

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ketch, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    When did you get your first home computer and what was it.

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I got my first home computer in about 1982 or 83. It was a Commodore Vic 20. I wasn't one of the lucky ones to have the casette drive (my model was pre 82 so it didn't come with a floppy). It was a cartridge based computer that allowed some of the first "home" programming.

When I first got it, I had one cartridge for it and it was terrible. So I spent most of my time free programming simple action sequences that you could make move by hitting certain keys. After 4-6 hours of making simple animations, you would get 8 seconds of animations.

A few years prior to that, our school got their first TRS-80 with cassette drives!!!!!:crazy:

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mine was a Tandy Micro computer. Had a cassette drive, with several games (complete with bugs), and a book on how to program the thing. Had it up to a couple of years ago. I think I threw it away...reluctantly.:tounge_out:

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Commodore 128, got it for Christmas '85. It was great, had the real floppy disk drive and a few D&D games.

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Atari...Lol.

We didn't get a pc until the late 90's...it was a Gateway.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Commodore 64 with both disk and diskette drive, lol

Favorite game was "A Bard's Tale"
    Can't recall the year but it was more than a few ago, lol:smile2:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    It was an Apple IIe... had various educatinal programs that I was using to better introduce my students to computing..... still have it.... has some good merrits... left to it..... been far beyond that ole computer to the "light speed" Pc that I have now...."Wow.... thirty 5 years ago"

bayrunner ray

8. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    A Sinclair ZX81 with a 64K ram expansion, tape drive, 300 baud modem and thermal printer.

At work I programmed an Analog Devices MacsymII data aquisition and process control computer, with 8 inch floppy drives. Now that was a computer:tounge_out:

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Benji you can still get that game off the internet, I think you have to run it with something that will slow the speed down but I used to love that game

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Early 80's, Tandy 1000 (I think 1000), 64k ram (if my memory serves me right). Was never on the web with it, bought it for the kids who about wore it out using it, games and homework. It served it's purpose well.

11. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yes, some of the games back then were classic. The early D&D, bard's tale, along with other early RPG's. I also spent a lot of time on my Apple llc playing AutoDuel.

Not that long ago, I bought a copy of the game we used to play all the time in school for my daughter (we gave her our old computer), Oregon Trail.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Commodore 64 back when Hitler was a corporal... added a tape drive and a 300 baud modem...:cool2: I remember having to buy peripherals at Toys R Us...:smile2:

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    commodore 64/128 what a nice piece of equipment :smile2:

14. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    TRS-80 with tapes until i figured out you can tear into em and play.. upgrading them... Crashing... burning... Money Pit..

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    MY first computer was a YELLOW.Thats right a YELLOW.Got it just before I started first grade.It was a soft if I remember right, Number 1,and the only peripheal it came with was the attached eraser.You had to sharpen it occasionaly and it eventuually wore down to a nub but it didnt matter if the power went out or if there was a surge,it just kept right on working.Only came with one game Tic-Tac -Toe,but you could draw just about anything with it.It didnt require a modem,or a monitor and most of the great calculations of the human race were done with it quite easily.It was quite portable long before laptop,PDAs and Blackberries were dreamt of.In the YELLOWS heyday Blackberries were baked into pies and cobblers,not carried on your hip.In fact I would bet the YELLOW was used in the design of everyone of the computers you folks have already mentioned.I still have a YELLOW and I understand children usually get to have one at about age six but I dont know how long that will last.Did the job,stood the test of time and has outlived virtually all the fancy newer models.:big_smile::smile2:Most of you have junked your first computer but I still have a YELLOW in my desk drawer because it all this fancy electron scattering equipment I'm using right now goes up in smoke I can STILL use my YELLOW to write to you folks!!!!!!!:smile2:

16. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Helring;
    Jim, I'm gonna Rep ya for that one. Here is another bit of trivia about YELLOW.
    With a slide rule, and a YELLOW, in 1969 WE; The AMERICAN PEOPLE, put man on the moon!!!:wink::big_smile:
    While the rest of the world was :eek:oooh::crazy: we were :big_smile: but we were also :cool2:! Nuff Said on that one!
    Even today, I use a mechanical version of YELLOW. But I can still find several original copies in my desk drawer. Your very, VERY CORRECT, about the condition of today's children!
    However! I won't get started on that one!!!:sad2::angry:
    Reps coming your way!:big_smile:
    Fraternally, Sincerely, and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

17. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    :smile2: My sis-n-law started flappin' her jaw at my brother for a computer so she could keep track of their finances. Bro told her she could do that with a Big Chief tablet and a lead pencil...:smile2:

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    1997 black IBM Aptiva, 4.3 GB HD, W-95, came with 32 MB SDRAM. I added another 32 MB the next year.

The day I removed it from the shipping carton was the first time I had a mouse in my hand. I was sending email in an hour. But couple weeks before I had bought a Dummies book so that was a BIG help. Later I installed a CD-RW drive. Got cable internet in 1999.

2001 Bought a Dell with XP. Installed a router. Kept the IBM for a backup and for the grandkids when they visit.

2006, Wife bought a Toshiba laptop, switched router to wireless.

The first computer I had any dealing with was in 1970 in the petrochemical industry, an IBM 1800 for plant process control. The 1800 filled a large humidity controlled room and all programs had to fed in on key punch cards. They dug a 200 ft water well just to give the 1800 a good ground. It was a one heck of a chore to cold start that sucker!

19. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Commodore 64 w/ disc and tape drive.
    Thought I was on top of the world. Still have it!
    Wore out a bunch of controlers.

Used it till I bought a HP w/ w98. Now use an XP special built high speed with loads of ram.

The funny thing is when I bought my business the PC was and still is a Compaq w/ w95. We do a bunch of art in the screenprint business and at $900 for new art programs the old one w/ Corel draw 4 does all I need. Have Corel 10 on the XP but don't need all those bells and whistles for what we design. Need it only when customers send updated designs.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    First I ever bought was a dell ,Not sure of the model or year made .Bought it a few years ago and upgraded to the one I have now ,a Dell desktop with flat screen monitor.