what was your first Catfish rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Jan 24, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    What was your first rod for cattin and did it serve you well . Or did you choose right the first time LOL .

2. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    My first reel was a 10ft premeire cat, It did well for the size fish I was hunting

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    my first pole was realy a cane pole and i cought lots of fish including cats on it.

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I didn't list mine , zebco 33 combo when they engraved the reels no stickers fibergass rod with metal joint . And i still have it and it's operational after nearly 40 years .

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Zebco 404 combo with a pistol grip 6ft rod and 14lb line (I think). Caught several channels on it, then one day it met a flathead (around 20lbs as I can remember). It lost (stripped the gears). That was around 20 years ago I think.

I "upgraded" the next day to a Zebco 33 with all metal gears. :wink: I still have that reel, and a couple of others that are the same age that my dad had given me. Now my thee sons use them.

I'm debating retiring them, as they now feel like I'm grinding coffee when I reel them (not that they were ever smooth, really). I can't decide if I want the kids to keep catching fish with them until they're just down and out, or if I want to keep them around just to have, since they've been through 3 generations of my family now.

Decisions....

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Same here. A cane pole. Technology has come a long way baby.:smile2:

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    My first good fishing rod was a Shakespear ugly stick medium action that I got for high school graduation in 1982. I've used it for cattin and troutin and anything that moves. I still have it but it's starting to break down. The outer finish is starting to seperate from the inner core so I keep it at home. If you're looking for a good rod buy an eagle claw. They're probably twice what you would pay for something at walmart but their quality is good. Also look for rod guides that have bracing which goes both ways.

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    kylehunter3006 thats enteresting i chose not to let my boys or any one use my first rod and reel combo and mine is still near mint . At one point i had it hanging from the wall in my man space .

9. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    my grandfathers hand-me -down dont no the rod but the reel was a jhonson sabra

10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    my first one was a canepole it was what i caught my first cat on from a farm pond on a sunday. it weighted 5 pounds and the whole time i was getting it i was yelling help me daddy . that is one of many memories that i have of fishing with my daddy . and when i got serious about catfish he had passed away . i really miss him .

11. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My first was a ugly stick tiger spinning combo and I still have it don't use it much anymore though.

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Those old 33's are about as bullet proof as a reel can get. I clean them and re-lube them every year, and spool new line on every year. They even look pretty good, given their age and stuff. Now though, the drags stick on them a bit too much, and like I said, they just feel crappy on the retrieve.

I've got a couple of newer Zebco's, a 33 with bearings and instant anti-reverse, and couple of the Mercury's, and they're smooth reels, expecially the new 33, but they just don't feel as solid as the old ones do. I don't know that they'd hold up to 20 years of kid abuse, LOL.

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I,ve used all kinds of rods and reels old type casting reels spinning reels but I only had medium gear until recently now eveyone gets a makeover lol . I got 2 King Kat poles w/2 Okuma abf baitfeeder65 reels wife got a Zebco 808 Boss Hawg 7"pole Mh Son wants a Zebco Hawg Seeker mh7'pole bunches of 8/0 hooks swivels sinkers bait bucket aerator the works ,this is our first season for flatheads wish us luck:big_smile:

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I started cattin with a old zebco 202 and 20lb mono I used it till I got a 404 then 808 then I went to spinners and now baits...my first bait is a shakesphere 30lc and I still have and use it that thing is old cause I bought it used:roll_eyes: hell I wish I still had that ole 202 I caught lot fish with that thing:wink:

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Cane poles for me,upgraded to zebco's and Johnson spincast ,and then the first baitcasting was a 5000on a glass 8' MHvy.still have it....Man that brings back alot of memories.:wink:

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I remember using a long stick or cane pole and whipping the weight and bait into the water by hand. I fished my grandfather's bullhead pond this way. Then if my memory serves me, my first rod and reel was a True Temper combo. I believe a store called Woolworths carried this brand. I owned alot of Johnson Century and Zebco 33 reels and rod combos to. Now all I use for cattin' is baitcasters. Great line capacity and strong drags, with great casting distance. We've come a long way with fishing technology and quality of rods and reels.

I remember my father having an all aluminum or steel? rod with an old Pflueger baitcaster. I tried casting it and all I got was backlashes. It had the old nylon line. Heck, My dad was great casting this setup. I eventually learned how to cast it, but it took time. LOL!:smile2::wink:

17. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My first rod and reel was a zebco 202 combo, but I never caught more than a few bream on it. I then switched over to a couple Zebco 33's and caught countless fish on them. I then switched over and still use a couple Abu Garcia 6000's on Eagle Claw med-hvy poppin rods. I still use one of those old 33's to catch bream and perch to use for catfish bait.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    not sure what my first pole was, i remember having a "fishing machine" which was some telescopic pole, and remember having a pocket fisherman pole, some little thing that folded, i think i was like 12 or 13 when i got a 6 ft ugly stick that was my first ugly stick and i had that pole for years until i broke the tip off playin around:confused2:

19. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    my first actual rod/reel used to target cats was an 8' berkly big game m/h series rod, with a shakespere alpha open face reel spooled with 40lb spider wire braid. works great.

20. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    The first rod and reel I bought for catfishing was a spinning outfit made by berkley. I paid 10.00 for the rod and reel and it already had line on it. I bought it at one of those hardware stores that sold a little bit of everything. I caught alot of channels with it, and the larghest fish was a 24 pound sheep head. Later I bought some garcia mitchel 300 spinning reels. They were built like tanks, and they gave me many years of service, before I started using baitcasters.