What was the biggest deer you ever missed?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kycatman01, Jul 19, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok, we have heard about the biggest deer everyone harvested. now it is time for those ((bad)) flashbacks. what is the biggest deer you ever missed or couldn't get a shot at while hunting?
    my biggest deer that i missed was a big 8 point. i went one day after work(i hunt on the same property where i am employed). i forgot my gun and started to call my wife and have her bring it out to me. i really have of faith in that gun(probably harvested 10+ deer with it). anyway, stupid me changed my mind and used a gun my brother had brought to work with him. i had never shot this gun but i thought, knowing my luck, i wouldn't see anything, anyhow. i only got to hunt 1 hour after work before it got dark.
    i got in the woods. i set for about 30 minutes and hadn't seen anything but a bunch of squirrels. they were running everywhere. i kept thinking they were deer. i was jumping at every noise, at first.
    i got tired of turning around and nothing but squirrels. so, i just stop looking in behind me. i would still pay close attention to the disturbances in front of me but to lazy to turn my head around to the back.
    of course, a loud crack. another squirrel? not!
    there he stood. a big white, racked 8 point. i slowly raised my gun and snap!
    my brother had loaded it with bad shells. i tryed to eject it and after 2 or 3 times finally got it. by that time, he was running( hard). i shot and missed.
    i was a nervous wreck and madder than heck!
    when i got back to his house, i ripped him a new hindin'. he said the shells were about 10 to 15 years old.
    so, never use anybody elses guns to hunt with. you never know what you got. i found out the hard way!! your story????

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I missed a 150" + with a bow. I shot right under him and didn't even knick him it made me absolutely sick. It was my first time out with a bow. I had bad nerves too. I wish I could have dropped him. He spooked after the arrow went flying under him.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    a ten point buck from 350 to 450 ydrs with 243 aimed high low mid shot 6 times deer never knew i was there :lol: checked for blood any way . that was 22 yrs ago ,last yr had a 6 pointer in my sights but passed him by he was out past his ears and bout as high but only 6 points maybe il see him this yr

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i got one that burns in my dreams everytime i think about a big buck. i hunted in canada in 2001 for a week. i met the hunter that had the same guide as i would have for this week. he told me about a giant of a deer that he had seen the previous week. the hunter had hunted all over the states and said it was no dout the biggest buck he had ever seen. well the first day of my hunt, well you know where i went. i passed a 11 point up that morning. at 11.30 i see this nice 8 point run out into a field and stop. hes looking back and im thinking coyote but he turns to walk back and hes looking hard. i start looking harder and then i see this giant buck standing along the wood line through my binoculars. i grab my gun and come up knowing this the deer of dreams. he turns and walked a few steps and is out of sight. 2-3 minutes later my world came apart as i hear gun shots ringing out. this stand sight was on the edge of the property im hunting and then deer must have crossed the property line out of my sight and ran into a local hunter. i hunted him the rest of the week hoping and never seen him again. left empty handed at the end of the week for another guided hunt. well we drive to with in 3 miles of where i saw this buck and the new guide says someone killed a 180b&c in this area this week. made me sick. he looked to weigh 350lbs. at least 24inch spread and 8-10 points heavy mass. now i just dream of another day like that one!!!!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In Pushmataha county, located in SE Oklahoma, the county had this thing going where the first deer checked in on the opening day of gun season got a new 30-30 rife. The largest deer (by weight) received a 30-30 rifle at the end of the season, and the deer with the largest rack also received a 30-30 rifle at the end of the season.
    I missed all three rifles in one shot. Was using an old Mauser 98. Hit a little sapling and shook the devil outta the tree. THe buck just stood there and looked at me. I tried to rack another round and the rifle jammed. The deer finally flicked its ear an walked off.

6. MOOSE3.5

MOOSE3.5 New Member

State:
    Mid/West TN
    I shot a huge 8 or 9 pointer several years back and thought I had a good clean kill. He went straight down and never moved. Waited about 15 minutes and started down from the treestand when he jumped up and hobbled off holding his front shoulder. I didn't have time to react so I just waited about 30 minutes and hoped he would just run a little bit and lay down and bleed out. I tracked that deer for a mile into a creek and never found him.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    My first time out with a bow, i had a huge ten point walk 5 yds. in front of my stand. I drew back and never released the arrow. I had never been that close to such a awesome animal, he was truly magnificent. By the time i came to my senses, he turned and i had no shot. I actually counted his points as he was walking by, with my bow in full draw. Worst case of buck fever i ever had. I spent three seasons looking for that buck, but never saw him again.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The bigest deer I ever saw, 12 to 16 points he was a monster beside the other deer. it was in Indiana a shotgun state, I got a hit, good blood and looked for 2 full days and just couldn't give up, went back on the third day to look for buzzards but never found anything, I hunted the area the rest of the season but never seen him again. I felt so bad not knowing if the big deer suffered I couldn't keep it off my mind. The next season I headed out early to scout and was hoping I would find the big guy, I did not nor did I ever see the deer again. I even looked for his sheds. All my life I have thought about this deer and it changed the way I think about animals and hunting. Now days I have no problem passing a shot. I never shoot unless I feel a sure quick kill will be the result. This my sound funny to some but all the years of thinking about this deer has helped me in other areas of my life also, the ones that do understand know how hard it would be to explain how this could be but believe me this big deer has followed me all my life. I was 20 and am now 54 but again this year I will be thinking of him, well I already am.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The bigest deer I ever saw, 12 to 16 points he was a monster beside the other deer. it was in Indiana a shotgun state, I got a hit, good blood and looked for 2 full days and just couldn't give up, went back on the third day to look for buzzards but never found anything, I hunted the area the rest of the season but never seen him again. I felt so bad not knowing if the big deer suffered I couldn't keep it off my mind. The next season I headed out early to scout and was hoping I would find the big guy, I did not nor did I ever see the deer again. I even looked for his sheds. All my life I have thought about this deer and it changed the way I think about animals and hunting. Now days I have no problem passing a shot. I never shoot unless I feel a sure quick kill will be the result. This my sound funny to some but all the years of thinking about deer has helped me in other areas of my life also, the ones that do understand know how hard it would be to explain how this could be but believe me this big deer has followed me all my life. I was 20 and am now 54 but again this year I will be thinking of him, well I already am.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I recently obtained a set of Moose hooves from Anchorage Alaska.The club that I belonged to for years is full of good old country boys and farmers.They all know the difference in cow,goat and deer tracks,but are not familiar with Moose tracks.Those Moose hoofs leave a beautiful set of gigantic deer tracks,as they should being Moose are the worlds largest deer.I have a teenage grandson that can bend over and get around.I have all of the ingredients to drive some good old boys wild.I know that I should not do it,but I sure got the urge.peewee-williams

11. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Every deer I miss is the biggest one I ever saw :big_smile:

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Last November, I saw the biggest deer that I've ever seen on opening day of Oklahoma's gun season. He stepped out of the salt cedars about 250 yards away, and just stood there for a few seconds. I'd been seeing quite a few deer that evening, so I raised my binoculars to take a peek at this bad boy. As soon as I saw him through the binocs I knew he was a monster, and I snatched up my rifle and by the time I put the crosshairs on him, he was turning and walking back in the brush. I never got a shot. I hope he's still there this year, because I wasted all 16 days of rifle season last year waiting for him to show back up. I passed several really nice bucks while waiting to see that big boy again. He was (I'm guessing here of course) 22-24 inches wide, and at least 8 points, but probably 10. He's a brute.

13. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    The biggest deer I ever missed was last season. It was an elusive 12-point nicknamed "Tatanka." It was blackpowder season and he was on the run at 60 yards or so. I was WAY too excited and ended up taking the scope to the nose. Probably should have got stitches but then I wouldnt have had such a good battle scar lol.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    The biggest deer that I ever saw or missed was a 18 point back in 91. Took a shot at it ,saw where bullet hit on the ground under his belly. Guessing 350-400 yds. was using a 303 british with pep site. However I didn't use the pepsite (should have I guess).Just used an open site no scope. Had to stand there was watch him slowly walk back in the woods like he didn't have a care in the world. Sure was a pretty site though.

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Isn't opening and closing day in OK the same? :cool2:

16. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well if I knew the answer to that one I wouldn't have missed it:big_smile:

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I didnt miss:cool2:

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it was the size of an elephant. JK JK no it was a 12 point bruiser in full rut and me being an expert marksman missed a 40-50 yard shot with a 25-06 I almost fell out of my stand when I missed seems my brother had "tuned" my scope for me.

19. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been hunting for a few years now and am 15 yrs old and have already messed up w/ 3 different monsters so I probably have many more to come. I live in A pretty suburban(rare hunting Pressure) area and when I lived w/ my mom she owned 7 acres and there was a 10 acre parcel of woods next to it that I hunted. That area kind of had me spoiled the first yr i hunted there because I was out about every night in Bow season and didnt see deer maybe only 2 or 3 times ever. The first mess up was w/ my first deer to be. It wasnt really a monster but to a 12 yr old kid it was a *HOGG*. probably 8 pts with a 15-17 inch spread. I was hunting with an old crossbow and expandable broadheads and shot the deer what looked like was perfect to me but my dad said i must have hit it in the shoulderblade or something. anyways the broadhead didnt open and there was maybe an Inch of penetration. we tracked that sucker on a sad little blood trail forever and never found it . It may still be alive but i feel bad for causing it pain. The second mess up was in the same woods when I was thirteen. I turned around in my on the camo bucket i was sitting on and saw a truly big buck 10-12pts typical lots of mass and A wide spread. well when i turned around a doe that i hadnt seen saw me and spooked which caused the buck to get anxious and run off.The final mess up was last year at my dads property in southern Ohio(theres is a lot of road hunters and pressure in the area) and i was in my little ground blind w/ my back to a brush pile hunting w/ a compound bow. A deer trail ran by my left side at probably 15 yards and turned and came in front of me so i figured i would just shoot a deer when it was in front of me(ya right!!!)so i was sitting there and i heard this deer coming my way and when it finally popped up my eyes popped out!!!but he knew something was wrong and bailed out. If i would have got that one i swear I would be in some big buck magazine for some kind of record typical whitetail. Everyone messes up I just mess up more:tounge_out:

20. CatfishRocky

CatfishRocky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    iit was frist day shot gun 1 and me and my dad were posting. out of the coner of my eye i see a moster duck it was atleast 12 it had 2 drop tines on it left antler. it was just standin there about 35 yd away looking at me. i tryed to slowly trun around but he took off. i shoot all 5 of my sheels he just kept on runing. no blood no har nothin never saw him agin ya i cried lol