What type ugly stik?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by miichael, Sep 1, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey im going to buy me 2 ugly stiks for my bait casters 6500 abu. The have a spinning and a casting version. Which type of rod is for a bait caster? a spinning or a casting/trigger? Or does it really matter?

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Also which is better 7ft or 8ft? getting the ugly cat white rods. Throwing anywhere from 1oz to 3oz weight plan to catch 30-40lb fish. Noticed it said 7ft lure weight was 1/2 - 2 OZ. and 8ft was 3/8 - 3 OZ. Figured the 2 piece 8ft would be better.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If you MAY be using 3 oz sinkers and plan on big baits, a 3 oz lure weight may not be enough from shore (been there)!!

A longer butt helps with the leverage too.

:wink:

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i plan on using 3oz weight with a 6" live bream. I dont know they seem flimsy but everyone says there good?

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    miichael

There were a few post on the "Old Board" on rods and their lure weights. One that I remember well the guy realized later that it was due to the 3-8 oz lure weight on his "favorite rod" and that was why he liked it. He never looked @ the lure weight till he posted something here and looked after that. He fishes from a boat too.

You can guestimate the weight of the gill and 3 oz sinker and find or make something of that weight and attact it to the rod before you buy it and decide than.

miichael, you are not everyone.

Hope this helps.

:cool2:

6. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i have one of the white ugly stick catfish rods and i wouldnt trade it for the world, it has more than enough back bone for even the biggest fish the tip is easy to bend but thats good cuz it is sensive so you can see even a tiny channel hit your line

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Rods are just a tool, there is no one size fits all. Casting a heavy weight with to lite a rod will shorten the cast , like wise to lite a weight will do the same. Fit the casting weight to the type of weight( sinker+bait) you use mostly if you are only going to have one or two rods. Casting a little under the rating is better than a lot over.

8. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I own and love a couple of Ugly Stik Tigers - great rods! However, a lot of people on here really seem to rave about those Ugly Stik cat rods.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have the 7 foot casting version of the white Ugly Stick. I don't use as much weight as you do. I use 1 oz normally but have used 2 ounces in the past with a 4-6 inch bream and have not had much trouble casting it out. I like the extra sensitive tip action also but don't worry that rod has plenty of backbone to it. If your looking for a stronger rod the Big Water rods are a good choice, also by shakespeare.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ugly Stik Catfish rods are the best rods made, in my opinion. And the Ugly Stik Tigers are awesome too!

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Hey Michael, If I Understood The First Part Of Your Question Correctly, A Casting Rod With A Trigger Is For A Baitcaster. I Have Both The Ugly Stik Catfish Rod (Which Is A Good Rod) And The Ugly Stik Tiger, But If I Was Going To Be Fishing With The 3 Oz. Of Lead Plus The Bream That You'll Be Fishing With Then I Would Probably Get A Ugly Stik Tiger. They're More Expensive But In The Long Run You'll Probably Save Money Because You Won't Be Putting Such A Strain On The Tiger Like You Would The Catfish Stik I'm Not Saying The Catfish Stik Can't Take The Strain But I Would Feel More Comfortable With The Ugly Tiger. But This Is Just My Opinion.

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So the trigger casting rod is what you need for the baitcasters? Right now my bait casters are on spinning rods 10ft heavy action. Does it matter if its a spinning or a casting rod?

13. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What do you guys think of this?
    While in search of buying my own rods, I noticed you can also tell what kind of rod it is by looking at the guides on it. A spinning rod will have larger guides the closer you get to the reel seat and as you get closer to the rods tip they taper off; getting smaller and smaller. On a casting rod, the rods with a trigger (some have them, some don't), the guides all stay pretty much the same and don't show this extreme guide size or taper. I think the reason for the different guides is because of the way line is put on the spool. A spinning reel spins the line in a wide 360º pattern around the stationary spool and needs the extra space in the guides, while a bait caster guides the line back and forth as the spool spins to take on line.
    So, since the space needed for the line isn’t as large as it is on a spinning reel; the guides on a casting rod are more similar in size. Also, I don’t see too much of a problem for the rod and reel if you put a bait caster on a spinning rod, but if you were to put a spinning reel on a casting rod, I think you’d cause unwanted stress to the line and guides. End the end I think it’s just better to go with the right rod made for the reel you’ll be using. Sorry if I dragged that on guys.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

You may get some looks, but it won't effect the casting of your rod. If you had a spinning reel on a trigger/casting rod it would effect the cast. Due to the size off the eyes on the rod. A spinning reel needs more room in the eye's for the line to feed freely and a casting rod doesn't have the room secondary to the eye size.

15. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know the spinning reel has to have a spinning rod, besides you hold a spinning reel upside down and if you had a trigger it would be in the way. Was just wondering if it made a difference if it was a trigger/casting or spinning for a bait caster. I dont see how it would have any affect on the bait caster if it had spinning rod big eyes.

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Take a close look at a spinning and a baitcasting rod. The guides on the spinning rod, besides being bigger toward the butt, sitt higher off the rod, especially the first 3 or 4. That's to accomadate the position of the line as it comes off the reel. The line spools off at a distance farther from the the rod than line revolves off the baitcaster. The baitcaster shoots its line through a guide and is pretty well controlled as it leaves the reel. Spinning reels are much less controlled and depend on the big loops of the first few guides to get the line under control. You can use the spinning rod with a bait caster, but it won't be as comfortable, the line has to overcome the extra height of the guides, and it doesn't look right. Also, you'll pretty much be forced to cast two handed, without the trigger the reel may cause the rod to rotate in your hand one handed. That's not a problem with bigger reels, you'll want to two hand them, but I do sometimes one hand my smaller baitcasters. Besides, why use the butt end of the hatchet head to drive nails when building a house when a hammer costs the same and does the job many times better?

17. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    The true spine of the rod blank is 180 degrees from each other on the different rods. I am sure if Gator was seeing this he could tell you all about it. But I will try, the casting rods are strongest when bent the direction they are when you set the hook with a spincaster or baitcaster. And the same is true for the spinning rods. The spinningrod is strongest on the other side because the reel is on the other side. I hope this makes sence. It would be terrible to break your rod if you were using it in the wrong direction.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You are correct sir. IMO the 7' one piece uc is a great rod handles fish ~50#s well and 3oz sinkers + bait very well, 5oz + bait not as well but will lob them fine. if the pc wasent mest up id post pic of the 45#er with the uc it was caught on. matches up to the 6000s very well.

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Some baitcasting reels are trigger handle grips, but that's not always the caese. Rods for big reels don't have triggre grips. It wold be difficult to cast with one. A trigger grip is comfortable, but not a necessity on a baitcasting rod.

20. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So back to the first question. I am getting a ugly stik white catfish rod. should i get the casting/trigger with the small back eye? or should i get the spinning no trigger larger back eye? I want to get whatever rod is best for using my baitcaster. I think the casting rod with trigger would be the best since its made to be held with eyes up where spinning is made for eyes down. Going to be a 7' 1 piece ugly stick with a abu 6500C3.

Casting or Spinning?