The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I'd build myself a big livewell on that pontoon, unless they don't have to be alive and then I'd just put em in a cooler. Or pick up a fish bag, not a basket, most bags aren't big enough.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i make my own, i like to use long stringers, i use anchor line around 1/4 thick, and cheap wire hangers, cut them to the desired length, cut up the wire hangers i usually cut them to 7 inches, burn both ends of the rope with a lighter, thread the hanger through the middle of one of the ends and clam it down with some pliers, then burn the rope around the piece of hanger, then tie a loop knot on the other side of the rope as well melth the knot with your lighter, i have made several of these, i like to make my own for 2 reasons, its fun making your own supplies and when they get stinky or break i have some at home already and dont have to buy them again

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here is what I use...last practically for ever (unless you lose it...:confused2:) No dragging the fish up to put on the next one...

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Bought a 100 quart cooler. Filled it half way with ice. pitched the eaters that I want to keep in it. No turtles, no swim offs, no dead rotten throw aways.. DUH !!!:wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have had too many problems with snapping turtles here, gave up on stringers and just got a biig cooler in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got a chain one from dad that he had bought back in the 60's. It works wonderfully. I've had up to 8lb channels on it for 8+ hours.

A lil side story. I had a buddy who had taken his kids to a lil county conservation pond to do some camping and catching bullheads. He had only caught one bullhead and it was in the water on the stringer. An hour later the stringer was gone, no sign of it anywhere. Next morning he wakes up looks out from the tent and sees a blue heron with the neon green stringer hanging from his beak. Heron takes off and the stringer is never seen again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome to the boc, you will like it here. If I am going on trip where I know that I will be catching a lot of keeper or eating size fish I will generally take both. I usually keep a floating basket style in my tackle/duffle bag, then in my little essentials tackle box wich also goes in the bag I keep a rope stringer. The rope stringer is last resort for me. I do not like to mess around with the rope stringers. It is easy for me to just throw'em in the basket and toss the basket back in the water. Rather than have to thread a fish and un tangle knots. That being said, to each his own thats just my scoops.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I don't use stringer, instead I bought a big tote from the Dollar Store and keep the fish in that. It's also easier to keep them alive if you are fishing a tournament. I rigged an aerator to mine that plugs in to my cigarette lighter.

·
Gathering Monitor (Instigator)
3,288 Posts
If you are fishing from a 'toon, I would get a large round tote, or a large ice chest and use it. You can rig up a pump to drop over the side and fill the tote or ice chest with water. Then you have your own, portable livewell. much better for the fish, and easier for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I fish out of a pontoon boat. I have made a fish/live box out of rabbit cage wire (1" x 2") and fastened styrofoam around the top so it floats. When necessary I have a plastic lid (from a cheap storage box) that I cover the top with and secure with a bungi cord. I drag it around like a store bought fish basket when I catch fish. Otherwise it sits on the pontoon deck. The only drawback is that I run at slow speed when the box has fish it it because it does create a drag and I like to leave it it the water whenever it has fish in it.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
8 fish a night, held weekly, multiple teams... hmm, may not be catfish in that lake fairly soon. LOL
now lawrence, you're assuming they are catching that many...if they fish like me, the fish population is healthy and gaining momentum:smile2:

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
i use a 9foot nylon rope stringer..altho, except on rare occasions, its only purpose in life is to keep the minnow bucket from floating away:wink:

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
if i understand rite you arent eating the fish so why are you killing them.dont want to stir the pot but would like a little more info please.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a large diamater rope stringer and have had 3 30lb flatheads on it at one time without a problem they all were fine and healthy when I turned them back in.

The large rope stringers dont tangle as bad as the smaller ones.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
i had a cheap chain stringer, it was small and short, a nice cat opened it up and got away, so i got a nylon rope stringer, i got a nice cat one night, it was late, my brother in law already sleeping, so i left it in the lake on the stringer, went down a few hours later when he got up for work, and the cat had opened the ring on the end and got away. then i made my own from 550 cord, i just double it, tie a loop in one end, and put them on it. i put them in the lake off the dock, so i can adjust the length, keeps em from getting all wrapped around the dock posts, but if they do, i can remove it from the top and unwind it. it takes less room than a boughten one.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Wally World heavy stringers for me.Depending on the size of fish sometimes put 2 together so the fish can go for a swim.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts