What type of stringer?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by USE TO BE, Jun 25, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a newbie to the site and I wasn't sure where I shoud post this question. What type of stringer is the best. I've tried a rope stringer and the fish get so tangled up I have to cut the stringer to get them off. I also tried the cheap chain type stringer and bigger fish will pull the snaps open, not to mention you have to pull your entire catch out of the water to get a fish on it. What is the best type of stringer to use that won't tangle, will keep the fish on, and one where the entire catch does not have to be pulled to put a fish on?

I missed placing in a tourney this weekend because I lost my biggest fish to the chain type stringer I got a Wal Mart. Thanks.

2. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the BOC, from Alabama!!!! i use the rope style and just take the time to take them off. But would love to see what everone uses THANKS FOR ASKIN!!!!!!

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC. I would use the rope stringer for the ones I plan on keeping.

4. Tinybaum

Tinybaum New Member

State:
    Maryland
    You should be able to take an eye bolt and tie a thin but durable line to it. This will be stronger then the rope ones you get at the store, and you can make if for whatever length you want. Then on the other end tie a keychain ring make sure it is big enough for the eye bolt to fit through

I played around with it when I needed a longer stringer. The bank i was fishing on was 3-4ft drop that didnt leave much rope left on the store bought stringer to tie off to anything.

You can also look into the basket type holders, but getting the fish out stinks, and it doesnt work well for larger fish.

Tiny

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David Welcome to the BOC. Glad to have you on board. I look forward to reading your post.:smile2:

6. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    I get the big thick stringers from Wal Mart. If you take the time and put the fish on there carefully they can't really get tangled.

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have an old big metal stringer with the big clips. Ive used the rope style, and yes those fish usually die quick. I dont have a basket yet, but I am considering one. I did see somone recently useing a steel cable that had been coated with some kind of clear plastic. That to me seemed like the best kind. It didnt cut into the fish, but it still leaves the fish available to turtles.

Welcome to the BOC!

Be sure to check out the libbrary too.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    my whole life i have been unusually bad with stringers. sometimes they get tangled sometimes they break sometimes the fish pull the ol houdini act and the worst and LAST experience with a stringer was when i forgot to pull it in and it wrapped around my prop. stupid beer! these days if i am going to keep them (which aint too often anymore) i put them straight into the ice chest and clean them on the water b4 i get home. just my humble thought.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO

What kind of tournament lets you put fish on a stringer?? Certainly not a catch & release tournament...:confused2:

For fish you're going to eat, put them on whatever kind of stringer you have on hand. Rope, chain, whatever. Or just toss them in a cooler with ice and don't worry about a stringer.

But if you're fishing a catch & release tournament, you *really* need to find a way to keep your fish that doesn't involve putting holes through their lips or running things through their gills. Neither of those practices contributes to the longevity of the fish.

10. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its C & F - catch and to my freezer. A local bait store at my lake has catfish tounaments every Saturday night. It starts at 6 pm and weigh in is 8 am the following morning. You pay an entry fee of $10 and the team with the highest stringer weight of 8 fish wins. There are side pots for biggest channel and shovel head. I fish from my pontoon. I found a cable type stringer at basspro. It looks like the hooks will move up and down the cable. I might try something like that. I will keep a heavy rope stringer in the sofar, unlikely event I catch something over 10lbs.

11. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I use the rope type stringer, but I haven't caught anything that weighed more than about 7#.

-- Rich

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    8 fish a night, held weekly, multiple teams... hmm, may not be catfish in that lake fairly soon. LOL

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I make stringers for me and my buddies that work pretty well.

The stringer itself is that plastic-coated wire rope that you can get at any hardware store...make it any length that suits you.

On one end I swage a short length of 1/4" brake line that has a nail with the head cut off swaged in the other end.

At the other end, the cable passes through a hole I've drilled in a 1.5" pvc cap, and is then doubled and clamped.

The fish don't tangle too badly on this rig, and are easy to remove.

14. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are generally 15 to 20 one or two person teams. One stringer per team. Half do not show up at the weigh in and most release their fish. Its a fairly large lake at 3500 acres, atleast by Ohio standards. There are no limits on catfish. I think there is a limit on the big ones like 20+ pounds, but nobody keeps them anyway. This lake is drained partially in the winter months, so you can only fish from March to October or so. No danger of fishing out the catfish in this lake. Most people around here won't eat them.

15. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    what lake is this?

16. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC! I use rope stringers everytime. I don't trust those metal stringers as far as I can throw them and you're right, you have to pull all the fish out everytime. I tie my own stringers out of heavy trot line rope. I tie a loop to one end and then just slide the other side through. If I catch multiple keepers that are of good size it's best to tie more than one stringer. Trot line is cheap and it goes a long way so don't worry about using too much. It saves you from getting the fish tangled up. If you use a rope stringer from the store I would also recommend cutting the metal loop off and retying a loop. I do this for the simple fact the metal loop is placed on with a machine and they don't always hold tight. I have seen the metal loops come off and hte fish go bye bye. Hope this helps.

17. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I've always used the rope stringers, but will give Katmandeux's idea a go. I'd think taking fish off would be alot eaiser with that plastic coated wire, and wouldnt get as dirty as a rope stringer either.

18. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The lake is Seneca.

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i have 10 to 15 - 1/4 inch nylon stringers with the ring removed and a large key ring in its place. the rings from the store will open and come off. i put one fish per stringer non less than 20 pounds and tie them off to limbs with little room to run. hard to fill all my stringers since they passed the 34 inch law. it gives you a great feeling when you return to get your fish and the limb is slapping the water. i have never had a fish stolen.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    David
    Beware of that fine looking stringer from BPS.......If you look at the rate this item section for that stringer online at Bass Pro Shops catalog you will read my entry on this stringer. I tried to put a 48 lb blue on one only to have it pull the clip completely straight and swim off. Now i use small diameter rope and put a small slit in the bottom lip of the fish. Run the rope through and tie a knot.....works much better