What type of snagging rig do you use?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    the only way I know to do it is to tie a treble hook onto my main line about a foot from the end, and tie a sinker to the end of the line. it works fine but I was wondering if there was a better way to do it.

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    For spoonbill snagging, 4-6 oz bank sinker on bottom and then two 10/0 treble hooks spaced about 2 foot apart above the sinker. Not really any other ways to do it I would think.

I guess if your trying to snag fish near the surface, you could just a weighted treble hook.

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    How heavy is the equipment you use when snagging? (line, pole, reel, etc.)

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We have a few rods from when we first started snagging that are 6.5 foot long broomsticks with big penn 209 or 309's with 100 pounds dacron line. Nowadays, I prefer to use a 10 or 12 foot surf rod spooled with 80 pound Spiderwire Braid or Power Pro. My father prefers a 9 foot Cabelas Water Eagle casting rod with an abu garcia 6000 spooled with some 60-80 pound braided line.

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I use a 9 ft rod with 30 lb test. I dont have a special snaggin rig I just use my catfishing stuff. maybe thats why my line broke so many times.

6. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    Catmaxx 11 foot spinning with either Okuma Epixor 80 or Penn 209. Went out today, about 7 rods were snapped. This included Ugly Stik catfish rods and Biggame rods..

7. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    I use a 10 foot surf rod, big spinning reel, and 50 lb spiderwire. My dad uses a 12 foot rod because he's tall, but its too long for me. I used to use a 9 foot rod and it just doesn't have the backbone needed in my opinion. These are all rated medium heavy I believe.

As far as hooks/sinker, we use 4-5 ounce bank sinkers with usually two 8/0 hooks spaced out over the length of the rod. Generally we fish LOZ in some deep water, so we try to spread the hooks out to get the most range on the sweep, since the fish might be holding at 50 feet in 70 feet of water, meaning you need to get up 20 feet off the bottom to hit one. A hook 10-12 feet above the sinker coupled with the long rods make this feasible.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I use a 7 foot Ocean City solid fiberglass snagging rod, A penn 209 with 100lb braided line, 10/0 treble hook and 4oz bank sinker. You can buy solid glass snagging rods pretty cheap, and they won't break. They are about 20 bucks at Bass Pro. So if you lose one, you're not out much.

9. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    I use a 7 1/2 foot eagle claw snagging rod a penn 309 and for line i use 100 lb dacron. as for setting up the line i use 12 oz sinker and up to 20 oz depending on how deep the water is and how much current . as for the hooks there 10 or 12 ot. i start with the first hook at 16" from the sinker as for next 2 hooks put 1 every 2' from the first so the hooks cover a 6' area in the line. its old school but it works.

10. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

wow Iv only seen sinkers that big at the bait shops in myrtle beach!!

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Man, I'd wear myself out trying to jerk them big sinkers all day. :crazy:

12. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    It does wear on ya.i didnt mention thats from a boat at idle. i like to get the sinker back down quick as possible so i can get another pull:tire:

13. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Where is a good place to Snag in MO? We have been going to Chetopa(no luck yet) and to Miami, OK. Doing good in Miami, but no females yet.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm not physically able to do much snagging; that's HARD WORK! My rig is a custom built 'river rod' using a 15' Fenwick blank. Primary reel is a Penn 309, but I've got a Penn Jigmaster 500 and a Penn Leveline that work well on that rod, too. Terminal tackle is generally 80#-100# braided nylon; 6-8 oz. sinker on the bottom end; 2 large treble hooks rigged in tandem above the sinker. Serious snaggers will rig several of these ahead of time and store them by hanging them inside a 5 gallon plastic bucket. The bucket also carries stringer and other tackle.