What type of set up do you all use on the rivers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by DWB, Feb 17, 2007.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since I am a novice at fishing on the Mississippi and Missouri I thought it might be interesting to find out what type of set ups you all use. I'm sure many will answer that they use many different setups for different situations.

For me, since i am new at this, I only know one way. I guess I should mention that I am fishing from a boat (usually anchored around some type of structure) and use large freshly caught live bait (shad or skip-jacks)

I use a 7.5 foot heavy action rod with a penn level wind clicker reel spooled with 60lb braided line. At the end of the line I attach a three-way swivel. Then attached to the three-way I put a large Gamakahtsu circle hook on about a five foot leader of the same 60# braided line and then to the other eye of the three-way I attach a large bank sinker (size depending on current) using 30# mono. My theory in using the 30# mono, right or wrong, is that if the sinker hangs up on a rock or something I can break the mono and keep the three-way and hook.

I would be much appreciative if any of you would share your fishing techniques/set-ups with me on here...

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan you may call yourself a novice but it does not sound that way. Sounds like you have the three way system down to a science. Some people use a float rig others use a carolina rig. I like the carolina rig witha a no-roll sinker.The sinker size is regulated by the current. 3-8 oz. The no roll sinkers is slid on the main line then a bead is added. Tie the main line to a 2/0 swivel, then attach a leader line with hook attached. This is called a carolina rig. There are more pictures and info in the BOC Library. Check them out and good fishing.:lol:

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks, Mickey. Not sure I knew about the BOC library. I guess I need to do some more poking around.

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    The library is a life saver. A lot of practical knowledge stored there. I refer to it all the time.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Most the time I use a carolina rig. I use 40 pound mono for the main line and 50-80 pound mono for the leader. Most the time my leader is in length of about 14 inches or so. You may want to rethink your setup just a tad. You may want to try and use a mono leader to add some abrasion resistance. You get your abrasion resistance from the diameter of the line. Also I feel that having some stretch in the rig helps with circle hook fishing hence the mono leader. Although I don't fish with braid much. I still have not found a brand I like yet. Going to try some sufic braid soon as the ice goes bye bye this week.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dan,
    As Mickey said, it sounds like you have it down. Crazy had a couple of good suggestions; Try a shorter leader and try mono for it.
    I prefer the Carolina rig to the 3 way but both catch fish. I think the main thing about any set up is that you have confidence in it...W

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Dan I like the carolina rig like everyone else. It eliminates the typically weak 3 way swivel. I use 80 lb power pro and 50 to 60 lb mono leader. I use 10/0 gama octupus hook,non circle.
    I like to use a little shorter leader also 12 to 16 inches. It seems the longer leaders dont catch as many fish and they are more prone to tangleing up and snagging something on the bottom. Hope this helps

8. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I mainly fish the Missouri River and commonly fish what we call hot water(Deep Fast moving water)so I prefer the Carolina rig. I have tried the three way rig and it always seems to get tangled up.
    40# Big Game 8 oz egg, bead,swivel, and an 8/0 Gamakatsu circle until I find something better. :cool2:

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think I am going to set up a couple of my poles like this and see how I like it. It sure would be a lot easier to set up that is for sure. And fewer knots to break as some of you have mentioned!

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    The river rig i use is a 6 or 8 oz no roll in line sinker with a beed and swivel ,my leader is only 6 inches long .The reason my leader is so short is the current tends to flap the bait like a ribbon in the wind,and i seem to have more hookups when they can take a bait that is almost stationary,now behind the l dikes i use lighter weight with a 2 foot leader with a bobber 6 inches from the hook to keep it off the bottom .GOOD LUCK

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fishing from a boat and in logs or stump beds iput 2 or 3 large plastic beads from the craft dept. of walmart.itie thehook directlyto the line no swivel at all.put sinker above the beads.less hangups and i can fish closer to structure.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    My rigging depends on the situation. For dam fishing, in fast water, I will use my Surge Rods and Penn 310's rigged with 80 pound power pro. I will use a 10 ott J hook tied on a dropper loop with palomar knot and a 10-14 ounce bank sinker tied onto 60 pound mono at the bottom of the rig. For average river conditions, i tend to use my Shakespeare 6500 reels spooled with 30lb Ande Monofilament and my 7 foot ugly sticks. I will typically rig "carolina style" with a 1-3 ounce weight and size 6-8 Gamakatsu Circle Hooks. I will usually place a bead between the weight and my swivel to protect my clinch knott from abrasion by the egg sinker.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    My rigging depends on what kind of fishing im doing. For the Mississippi or where there is current, I use a carlina style rig, with either 80lb braided or 50lb mono, with a 50lb Trilene Big Game leader. 4ounce weights usally work good in normal current situations, even though I know people that have used up to 14oz weights when fishing around dams, pilings, ect. I like to use 8/0 circle hooks when the bite is good, and 8/0 J-hooks when the bite is not good. If you plan on fishing where there is minimal current, 2-3 ounce weights work good. I like to use large barrel swivels with a bead to protect the polymer knot. Good luck!

14. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    dan, i personally try to keep a open mind when i'm on the miss. river conditions change alot day by day hour by hour on the river, i will try anything and everything i don't like to get stuck on one style of rigging. usually i throw out both (3way & carolina) if one does better than the other i'll change over to that one. just rember that just because your fishing for catfish that u dont have to fish on the bottom all the time either. i also would look into control drifting on the river u can cover alot of area using and use it to pinpoint fish. u can still use the same two rigs. hope u have tons of success & fun out there good luck!

15. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well DWB it sounds like you are on the right track! I like to use a medium heavy 7ft rod with abu garcia 7000 or 9000. I run both braided line and mono. For braided line I use a 60-80lb, with a 50 lb mono leader 14- 18 in long. If I am running mono I run 50lb berkley big game with a braided leader usually 80 lb. I always go with the Carolina rig...that seems to work the best for me any way, and i use 8/0-12/0 circle hooks. I run 5 to 10 oz sinkers, it just depends on the current. I hope this helps you out although it sound like you are on the right track. Good luck on the water!

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    For river fishing I use A Abu 6000 spool with 20 lb Triline XT mounted on a berkley big game MH rod, and a Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner Spinning Reel Spool with 20 lb Cajun Red Line. I use a drop rig like the bass fisherman I use 1 oz bank sinkers. I am going to try some smaller banks sinkers.