What type of rig do you use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sds888, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I figured I would ask everyone see what the different rigs that come up. I normally use an egg sinker with a wire leader of about 12-18 inches with a 1/0 hook. I have also used a two hook flouder rig. It is great for small cats but never caught any large ones on that one. The one I caught most my big cats on is a bobber set at about 2-3 feet with a wire leader and live bait on the end in shallow water during the summer months. Going on a fishing trip here soon and I am going to try some cirlce hooks and different rigs. well lets here what you use?
    Stephen

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use a few different rigs depending on how I am fishing 1-eggsinker witha small split shot about 18 inches of mono leader 2-flexible weight (parachute cord) then bead then 18 inch mono leader with a small toothpick bobber about halfway down the leader then hook, for drifting and 3-eggsinker bead barrel swivel 18 inch mono leader and hook.those are my favorite bottom rigs I also use slip cork rigs.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    SDS, I use a simple three way rig for all my catfishing. I have always bottom fished for cats, so no need for a float. The rig consists of a five ounce sinker tied at the end of my line. Then a 8/0 cat maxx J style hook tied on a snelled loop that is six inches long and 18 to 24 inches above the sinker. Simple, inexpensive, and effective. Vern

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use a no roll sinker then a bead then a barrel swivel than an 18 t 24" leader than a hook with the bait of my choice.

5. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    depends on a lot of things how long am i going to stay water depth temp so on and so forth i like a slidilg wolf river rig with a foot leader and a 5/0 kale hook theres also the boye rig this one is kinda complcater to begine with and i tinkerd with it to suit my needs its more of a set line than a rig but it works what you do is set up an ancored jug no hooks on the line then you add a small leader from the top of the jug "out of the water " then tie on a snap swivel to that then on your cat fishing pole tie up a snap swivel in the middel of the line 2" above where you plan to put the fixed bobber when you have these finished set the jug up and put a small rubber band in the snap swivel then bait up your rig then put the rubber band in the snap swivel on your pole then go back to shore and wate for a bitewhen the fish tahes the bate the rubber band will snap letting you fight the fish in and to set it back up re bate and put another rubber band in the snap swivels the original rig called for a 5# peace of mono in place of the 2 snap swivels and the rubber band but i dint see the need for all the re tying in a pinch if i run out of rubber bands ill tie up a leader with 2 or 3# line with loops on both ends but the rubber band i found works better if you do use this rig tell me how it worhed for you hope this helps

6. Mudville

Mudville New Member

1 or 2 oz. egg or slip weight with with a swivel to a 12-18 leader and a whisker sticker hook. all on 20# berkley vanish.

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mostly a basic slip sinker rig, 2 to8 oz. of lead then swivel 12 t 18 inch leader with a 6/0 to 9/0 J or kahle hook. Sometimes I add a small slip float to my leader. When trying to drift I will use a 3 way swivel with weight on bottom and small float on my leader line.

8. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Since i mainly bank fish my normal rig is:
    Sinker (either egg or Lindy no-snag), then a 1/0 swivel, then leader (12-24 inches), then an 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook.