What type of reels do you use?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by zeboman, Feb 25, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use okuma spinning reels with bait-runners,I don`t always engage the baitrunner, it depends on river conditions.In fast or high water conditions I won`t use it. I also use 30# mono any preference?

2. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i just got 2 of the Okuma 65 baitrunners i havnt had luck mastering a baitcaster so the baitrunner was a great choice for me... now just need some warm weather to try them out :big_smile:

3. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    oh and im running 65# power pro braid.. was using 30# stealth last year and lost a good many fish due to breaks .. i'm assuming from the rocks so this year i steped it up a bit.

4. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    im using 2 tidewaters with 20lb shakespear mono... i good point was brought up to me about mono... what if the fish gets the line stuck rocks then the braid breaks the cat is tangle and dies there mono it breaks easier if you get in a bad snag but is still strong enough to bring em in ...

5. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I think most of the time 99% for me when i break off a fish in the rocks its not due to a snag per say its just Alot of sharp rocks / rebar / cement fill , i seem to loose them when they take their first run, so their taking line i assume my line is just being raked along the sharp objects :sad2:

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The Avenger ABF 65 is great. If you feel you need a larger one, they make the 90 series.
    The baitfeeder drag is also adjustable, which is good when fishing in stronger current. I fish 17-30# mono on mine depending on conditions. I have ran 65# braid before with no problems.

7. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    i was thinking about sizes and with the 65 i can run 90 yards of mono and almost 300 yards of 65# braid if i need more than that im in trouble :big_smile: but im glad to hear that the okuma was a good choice.

8. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    I use Penn 320GT2's and 209's spooled with 40lb. Berkley Big Game Mono.
    I target Flatheads 99% of the time.

9. smpatrick

smpatrick New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Im runnin a Shimano CSO-100 baitcaster, with Berkley Big Game 30lb line, on a Mudville Catmaster CF-156 heavy action rod.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The type of reels I use are abu-garcia 7000c3. I have an Avet conventional reel. It's brand new and thinking about selling it. It's the MXL version and holds 320 yds. of 20 lb. test line. Anybody interested let me know. I just ordered an Abu 6500 chrome rocket. Can't wait to try it. I usually keep the reels in freespool and set the bait-clicker on when fishing calm water.

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If you are fishing the rocky areas switch to mono. The braid just doesnt hold up will never use braid again your line gets nicked on the rocks I have lost fish on hook sets and caught the same fish with the line hanging out of its mouth and it wasnt the knot that broke. In my experience mono is just much tougher. As far as reels I use silstar baitrunners they are almost identical to the shimanos but alot less money

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    3 Abu Garcia Big Game reels w/25 & 30lb mono. I agree I am staying away from braid while bank fishing this year. Last year My biggest flathead caught was 11lbs. I lost a few that felt like they where heavier than 11lbs.:eek:oooh:

13. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I use a zebco brute 270

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have a couple Penn 209s a Penn 310Gti, Shakespeare Tidewater 30LA, One Abu Garcia 7000 Big Game (favorite), and a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner.

15. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Did you change completly to mono or did you just have to use a mono leader? i know we fish alot of the same areas and this year i have my boat ready so was just wondering if ya think just a mono leader would help.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Just got a Penn peerless no. 9 given to me, that and a monofil 25 I use. I'll be using mono, but I don't fishi monster cats yet. I been told braid is too hard on a levelwind reel, and too hard on fingers on plain open face casters. Told me don't even think about using it on a spinning reel.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I use the follwing reels for flathead catfish.

Shimano Calcutta 400
    Penn 525 MAG
    ABU 6500 TC
    ABU 6500 C3
    ABU 6500 BlackCat

18. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    penn 309
    penn long beach 65
    night light baitcaster
    abu garcia low profile baitcaster

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For Bigger Game:
    Shimano Sahara 8000
    Shimano Navi 8000 PG
    Pflueger President 6560
    Abu Garcia AMB 6500-Coming Soon

I have other reels but those above where intended for Flatheads.

20. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I like my shimano 6500 baitrunners the best.I tryed the Okuma baitfeeders didnt like em I sent mine back.I have bait casting reels they have their place for really heavy pound test.The reason I like my spinning outfits more is
    1.)You will never get a backlash
    2.)They collect line faster
    3.)The clicker tension is adjustable for heavy current

Attached Files: