What type of net do y'all use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salmonid, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Please specify weather your a shore or boat angler, pro's and cons of each type, I know in my boat, I use a Bass Pro shops Telescopic net, extends to about 7 ft, cost 22 bucks. The mesh is nice and small so sinkers dont get tangled and big hooks easily come out of the netting.
    See link:
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1329&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

but I think the limit for this guy is about a 15 lb fish, so if your looking for a good cheap Channel net, this be it. Cons are small hooks get in the webbing and tangle and only the tiny carp get there dorsals caught in this, limited size

now what I really want but havent found the last two times at the local BPS, is this net, runs about 55 bucks, deeper sack, rubber which is fish friendly, snagproof , sinker proof and fin proof for you carpers out there.:lol: (dorsal fin with barb always get tangled in nets)

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=30227&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Now im not pitching these nets or BPS but the "type" of net is what im talking about, and Im sure Cabelas, Catfish Connection etc all have these types of nets.

So what do you guys use?, remember to be specific about why you use the one you do and tell us the species you fish for and weather you are a shore or boat angler.

Should be a good discussion on this one!

Salmonid

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm a boat and shore angler, catch almost all my bait from a bridge though with water around 5ft deep. Shad and White Perch are mostly what I get for bait. I use a $20 Wal-Mart net, I think "Super Spreader" is the brand, I have the 7ft. It's a ok net, but definitely not very tough. I normally expect to have to buy at least 4 nets every year, I have to throw my net around rocks a lot.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i am currently in the market for a better net. i either need a rubber net, or the type that have the really small mesh that will scoop up to a 15lb channel.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dink, maybe I can work something out if your interested in the one I have, I like it but want to step up some for the more expensive rubber meshed ones.

Let me know or we could roadtrip to BP some time if you want and pick up one for each of us.

Salmonid
    PS It was your comments the other day that made me post this query:smile2:

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    boat here...my net is more like the second picture..I have the bigest one I could fold to fit in storage on the boat. I don't think it will be to good for a 80 pounder but I want to try..LOL...I believe 2 thirds will fit maybe thats enough.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Since I fish from a kayak, a long handled net is not an option. The net handle needs to be no more than about a 12-18" long. Can get smalller nets like that, but have considered cutting down the handle on a longer big net. Right now, I'm using a floating basket I made...a nylon mesh bag attached to a piece of pool noodle with cable ties. Works well for cats up to about 6 lbs. Though I acutually wind up just grabbing most of the smaller cats and lifting into the basket to unhook.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Dont get a 7'. You have to use 5' or smaller in Ohio. Little brother just uses the one from Walmart, works great for him.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No net, unless it is a real big fish, boat or bank..If I do net one, I got the biggest one walmart sells, called a trophy hunter.

9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Large Walmart net. Jack.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Oops, though we were talking about cast net. My bad buddy.

I got a Waleye net at a yard sale, works great for channels. Extends far out into the water with a lowered lip on it.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have a huge landing net. My brother got it for me at Dick's sporting goods. It has a telescopic handle that goes from 5 to ten feet. I have landed fish up to 50 pounds in it. It would likely land bigger if I ever catch one. I think he paid $40 for it. Vern

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I could net a trash can with my net it is that big.:eek:oooh: And there have been times I was so glad that net was as big is it is.:crazy: I fish from the Bank 100% I dont do the boat thing....

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    usually I'm using a net that someone had left on the river side... cotton netting about 24 inch wide 30 inch tall and about 30 inch deep... aluminum frame with light blue aluminum handle...

Works well for most of the fish i catch and because its cotton (or seems to be) it can get wet and stay moist so it doesn't hurt the fish as much as the tarred nets do... although its falling apart now :-( I'm looking at getting one off ebay or one from Bass pro

The one from Ebay is huge and all and would be great for my boat once i get that fixed... but the one in Bass pro is the one that folds down and is easily storable and compact though its not nearly the size of the ebay one...

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya,there is a big one on ebay i have my eye on its 9.99 its spose to be a cummins brand and the guy always has them available . one of these days im gunnu press BUY :big_smile:

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    After many bent ,broken and destroyed nets I finally found one company that makes the best in my opinion.That is FRABILL and you can go to their website and look em over.I have a BIG KAHUNA and I'm telling you it will easily net my 200hp Mercury Optimax and I know this is true because I have netted it many times whiles trying to land catfish:eek:oooh: :smile2: :big_smile:.Their handles are indestructable,and they of course extend and the hoops are super strong but I have to say any fish over 20lbs I would support the hoop when lifting the fish.Best of all they make replacement nets for all their models so the handle & hoop should lasts forever.:big_smile: :smile2:

16. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Big as I can find with a retractable handle

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good points some of you have brought up, keep em comming...
    another point I like about the rubber nets is they smell like rubber even after a slimy channel rolls all around in there vs the cotton ones which absorb the smell and when I put the said boat and net into the garage, it will stink up the entire garage and attract flies like nobody's business. anyone else have a solution to this problem, I always rinse the net but its never enough....

Salmonid

18. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I fish from a boat.. I have the biggest one Walmart sells.. It's cheap enough that I can replace it every year... I looked at the rubber ones and don't care for them.. I guess that's why they sell so many different one's huh...

19. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Fish from the bank and 90 percent of the time I dont bring a net. It's just one more thing to carry. There is nothing like pulling a big flathead out of the water with your hand in its mouth.

20. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I just bought a 32" wide and 36" deep retractable handled net from Bass Pro.