What Type Of Mono Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 20, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am an avid Berkley Big Game guy. I have been running this line for many years now, and like it very much! However, I am gonna go outside the box and buy some Cajun Red for testing purposes this year. I have used Stren Magna Thin, and others in the past only to be disappointed! I am not gonna run the Cajun on all my rods, just a couple. My question to you is, what type of mono do you like? I like one that stands well around heavy cover. Also ties well. And, do you prefer one over the other due to different conditions or area? Or do you just trust one and one only? ....rollo

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Stay with Big Game, you know that is some good line.

Now if Cajun Red sponsors you... :wink:

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have had great luck with the Berkley Hi Test Big Game Hi Vis I think it is even more resistant to rocks and cover fatigue than the regular Big Game and with less memory and I like the Ande's Green Envy. But between the two I like the Hi Test better.

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Ive tried many lines over the years and the 2 I like and use right now are

30 #lb test silver thread excalibur --- very low memory cast extremely well , and very abrastion resistent . and i love the stretch it has for circle hooks . I have this line on all my 6000 abus a couple 5500,6600.
    for still fishing in slack water or very slow current .

40#lb test big game Its done me very well and i love the hi vis green color , ya can find great deals on this line in bulk spools . has a little memory but i use this line on my 7000 abus and fish drom a boat and not casting very far so it fits me just fine .
    for strong current using 6 to 12 ounce sinkers ,, spider rigging and bottom bouncing .

I also use 40#lb big game for leader when im drifting .

5. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    i use big game but also use ande,sufix seige ,and c-red no problems yet.

6. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think they are sorta the same when it comes to strength and abrasion beatings knot strength both are great but how often do you see a polamar knot break i know that i have not. Stretch is good in both, the only things i did not like was the memory cajun red had in it and its ability to sink sometime it does and then again it may not. But i like to try something different every few years also good luck w/it.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use braid for my main line but my leader is 40# berkley big cat mono, seems like pretty decent line:wink:

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Right now i'm sold on Sufix Siege Tangerine but it's pretty expensive and not readily available in large (discount) spools so i'm gonna use Big Game on a few reels as well this season to see if the Sufix is worth the considerable price difference. I've used Big Game before and it's certainly strong and durable around cover but when it comes to smooth casting and low line memory i don't think it's as good as the Sufix.There are so many different lines out there now and each has different plusses and minuses so i guess your preference depends alot upon what qualities are most important to you.

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Berkley big game 50 pound test all the way. I was using 40# but had several fish break it when I was young and dumb trying to horse em in. Since I am old and not quite as dumb now I don't do that no more. I went up to 50# test and so far nothing has broke it but am fishing for biggies so am crossing my fingers. I don't have any complaints about it. I also like the fact you can get good prices on bulk spools. Haven't tried the high test however. Tight lines.

:cool2:

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Rollo brother dont do it i used c red all last year yea its tuff stuff but its the stiffest un rullyest crap i have ever ever used i used it all year almost dayly and it never relaxed and visabilaty forget it you cant see it i went back to berkly this year and sufix seage berkly is my fave but i love the seage to almost forgot tieing a knot in the c red isent much fun and yes its cheap but after i used it a year i see y its cheap now you have my 2 cents lol:cool2:

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with Dallas. A buddy of mine used the 30# C-Red on his 6600s last year and it is knotty and rough dont cast well and has so much stretch its like a rubber band, It also digs into the spool real bad! He couldnt get a hook set to save his life. Berkley Big Game in 25, 30, and 40# is what I use with no complaints.

12. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going the opposite way, Jason... I've been using c-red, and am switching over to the Big Game... like has been mentioned, I'm gettin' tired of the memory and stiffness...

Besides, wanna try some of that pretty green stuff that ryang has... lol

13. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    I use the Vicious in 30 pound clear and green. I first tried it mainly because they sponsor our tournament series and I won a couple 660 yard spools. Well I have absolutely no complaints. It has a little memory but nothing that doesn't go away after a few fights.:wink:

14. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I used too use the Big Game line also.But I have swiched too Masons big catt no complants here on either.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like Berkley Big Game in Solar or Suffix in Tangerine. Both are good lines and easy for a blind man to see.

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i also use the big game line in 20 lb test and i use 40 lb for leaders. I haven't had any problems with this line other than the ones caused by my own stupidity. :confused2: I tried cajn red a couple years back and found the big game casts a whole lot better. As far as catching fish the comparability was pretty close to the same.

17. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    Seaguar all the way here

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've used it all too, and for me its Cajun. You will never see me buy b-game again , it just think it's over rated because lots of folks use it...it has been around awhile.

I just got done slinky weight drifting for 12 hours through timber in Lake Hartwell, SC. If your line , whatever it is, can do that...stick with it , LOL.

As far as casting it does fine for what I need. I don't need to cast 75 yards or more out so I cant tell ya much on that. No matter what, it is good line, will you like everything about it ?....that remains to be seen.

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Either Cajun or BBG I'm giving Ande 40#mono a try as a shock leader this season:cool2:

20. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i use mostly big game in 25 lb, i also have some viciuos and suffix that i like also, i have tried a couple spools of cajun red, had the worst memory i have ever seen, i thought it may have been a bad spool so bought another and same thing:confused2:, i wont buy it again, its ok in light line but not in anything over 12 lb ive seen, hope this helps jason