What type of line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mr Twister, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I got a new Abu 7000 and am going to get a Quantum big cat rod to go with it. I primarily want to target big flatheads with it in rivers...probably lots of snags. What type of line should I be looking at? It seems like a lot of you use Berkley Big game? How does its diameter compare with standard mono lines? Will I be able to spool enough onto my reel? Or should I go with a braid? What do ya'll think??

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you should be fine using the big-game on that 7000. i spool my 6500's up with 25lb test, can cast 100yrds, and still have plenty left. i can only imagine how much a 7000 would hold....

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I have Big game on my 7000 wouldn't trade it.

4. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    that seems to be the consensus...what size do you all use?

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like mono line,i have 20# cajun red line on one abu 7000 and 30# on the the other 7000.So you should be fine either way,good luck.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    depends on if your bank fishing, boat fishing, or if your gonna need to horse big fish away from snags. i have the same rods you have, but i use 6500's and i have horsed 30+lb fish away from snags with ease on 25lb test. i used to use 30 but if i got hung up i kept pulling the boat anchors loose from the bottom when trying to break the line. if your "banking it" you could get away with 40lb test if you wanted on those 7000's.

7. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Power Pro of ny size works well for me.

8. greenwood

greenwood New Member

State:
    Maryland
    agree with mcwrestler!