what type of line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by iFish, Feb 8, 2009.

1. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What type of line would you use for a catfish only setup? It is a 7 foot ugly stik with an abu garcia 6500 c3 reel. I fish in a river mostly, but there are spots with lots of rocks and treed underwater. Also, what pound test?

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Braided line and 80 lb. test at least. You'll be glad you did!

3. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Would braided line not fray against the rocks? I have heard that it will, but I don't know

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use a 40 lb test mono shock leader with my braid which is 65pound test I river fish too lots of trees and other snags and abrasions try a mono shock leader about 3-5 feet long :0a26:

5. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use Masons Big cat Line 96lb .I dont hear of anyone that uses this line.Ive got afew friends that use this line.An dont think we would ever change.This line can reel in a tree.I fish from Boat.So I dont need casting abbilty.Which I use a Abu&000 an it dont cast to bad!

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the 20# cajun red line,its very abrasion resistant and very strong.

7. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Me and my partner use 80# braided line with a mono leader. My partners best was a 78# blue and he muscled the fish in. I have retreived 100# stumps from the bottom of the river with this stuff. But there is a set back to using strong line when fishing while anchored. You can and will pull your boat off anchor when you get hung.

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I would use heavy braid for the main line. For the leader I prefer fluorocarbon, but a good mono like "Big Game" or Trilene "XT" is also good.