what type of line setup do you use?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TOFTTnet Kami, Jul 29, 2009.

1. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    just trying to get some ideas on line setups and what different people use.

here is what I use:

I have stated before I use the circle 8 gamsutra hooks. Are these appropriate size and such?

The guy that taught me to tie my line for river fishing had me tie the weight on the bottom, go up from the weight from your elbow to the tip of your finger, then u double up the line from there tying about 5 knots a little over hand with apart. Then you take that loop, put it thru the hook eyelid and bring it back down over the top of the hook effectively making a "slipknot." Then he looped it around the hook a couple more times for added durability.

That was kinda hard to explain, I hope it was clear enough. I was just wondering if thats how everyone else does their's? Is there a better way to do it? I would love to hear it, or even SEE it. Thanksuse:

Weights:
    I have seen 3 different types.

1. the teardrop bank sinkers
    2. pyramid weights
    3. flat silverdollar like weights

I was wondering if any of these offer a distinct advantage over the other. I have read the pyramids are mainly for sand and such. I have read the flat ones may get snagged less?? Is there any truth to that?

For bait i typically use skipjack and the chartruese nightcrawlers.[glow worms]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've been using the no roll sinkers with 20lb golden stren an a number 8 circle without no problems.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael Welcome to the BOC. When you get time check out The Membes Library for different sinker set ups, and lot of other info.

4. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for your reply. I did check it out and am still checking out all the great other info on there trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible. Was just trying to do a "poll" to figure out what everyone else uses. Thanks for the welcome!

5. Yourused

Yourused New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i will take a 4 oz sinker and throw an anchor line out. downstream off a catwalk. then attach the biggest swivels I can find with 65 pound main line and 40 lb leaders. I can run 2-3 baits out on one pole and they can run loose unless its chunks of skipjacks or dead shads.:big_smile:

6. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Welcome to the BOC Michael. I fish a Carolina rig, no roll sinkers and a Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus hook.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    as far as wieghts go i also use the no rolls when im fishing SLOWER moving rivers, but if your fishing in big current i would recomend using a railroad spike. you can locate them pretty easy around missouri, and the best part is they are usually free. first let me explain that i have thrown tons of money away on lead for heavy current fishing, and no rolls dont help in those situations unless they weigh a pound or more. a railroad spike (on average) wieghs about 14-14.4 ounces (just under a pound), once you drill a hole in the side of it (close to the point), and put one of those little key chain rings through the hole (you can get these at walmart cheaply). your ready to tie it on. by the way, the keychain ring is on there because the metal on the edge of the hole is very sharp, and will slice through the strongest line easily.
    i usually set these up on a break-a-way line (something of lesser strength than your mail line). as my main line i run a 65 pound test braid, so my break-a-way line will be more like a 20 mono (so when the weight gets stuck you can just snap it of and at least get your hook back, notice i said when it gets stuck, and not if). my wieght is usually on a line about 12-24 inches long. that will either be attached to the main line via a three way swivel (big). or tied to one side of a barrel swivel, and you run the main line through the other side to creat a slide (this also cuts down on the wear on your mainline).
    hope it helps, agian i only use these railroad spike wieghts when im fishin off the bank of missouri or missi rivers, its a lot of wieght to throw so make sure you watch what your doin when you pitchen these. you could easily kill someone.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Take a casting sinker and double back a rubber band through its eye. then select the distance you want it from your leader or hook. then double the rubber band around the line so that its snug. then when you get a fish on it can still move some because of the rubber band. also if you get hung up its usually because of your sinker. this way the rubber band will break off and you wont loose any line or the rest of your terminal tackle. just take plenty of rubber bands and sinkers.

ive tried this with upto 2oz sinkers after that i dont know how much weight they cant take when casting but if the rubber bands are good and fresh i'd say quite a bit. Also use the strong brown ones not the little ones.

9. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brandon brought up a good point about the no rolls in heavy current. I fish tidal rivers mostly so current is not a factor. I love the railroad spike idea by the way.

10. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Railroad spike idea is really cool! Prolly less prone to get snagged too. Will have to try that!

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    a railroad spike seems a little excessive. thats a lot of weight.

13. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    what kind of current do you usually fish? because sometimes the 14 ounces that a spike wieghs isnt enough to keep it down. so i would not be inclined to agree with it being excessive . if your fishing lakes or small rivers then yes it probably is to much, but when your in some serious current (like the mississippi river), looking for monster blues you will be looking for the heaviest thing you can find to keep it in place.

besides, if you have a scale and the ability to cut steel then you can make them any weight you please. bottom line, its cheaper than lead, and dosent hurt the pocket book to lose them.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  14. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm thinkin' hells yeah as my daughter would say. Thanks loads for the idea there.

Bandsaw, hacksaw, what ever, and a drill and a key ring. cheaper and quicker than lead, and I'd think if ya shot a little krylon on em they'd even keep longer when ya actually do get em back outta the water.

Thanks again for that idea I'm gonna run with it. I never did like meltin' lead and makin sinkers. There's lots of other things I should be more scared of like copperheads, brown recluses, liver cirrhosis, lung cancer, etc. but lead vapors and 3rd degree burns always got me nervous. (I'm clumsy sorta accident prone) molten metal around me is not so good an idea.

15. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    those are also great points about how much of a pain lead can be. however i wouldnt waste the time or money on paint for the spikes. as i said, it is not a question of if they get stuck, but when. just make them in a way that is cheap and quick.....oh and make sure that if you are using the break a way setup you have strong enough line to deal with the casting of this wieght. i have watched many heavy wieghts (both spikes and lead wieghts) fly off into the darkness, because of a break a way line that isnt strong enough to handle it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  16. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Billy,

you are right i don't fish current that would require 14oz of weight. not that i wouldn't, i just dont have to where i live to catch decent and plenty of fish. lucky i guess. i would like to fish the mississippi. if i am ever down your way ill have to get ahold of you so you can show me the tricks of a big river.

17. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll take one of them little "plastic strips with the holes in it" slip-bobber stops and thread it on the line first. It slides up and down the line and can be reeled right up on the spool, you set your bait depth with it.

Next, slide on a little bead, then the slip-bobber.

then another bead.

Then tie on a 3-way swivel.

tie your anchor line (break away sinker leader) to one side of the three way and your hook leader to the other side.

you can keep your bait up off of the bottom with this, and your sinker right down on the bottom.

Big advantage out of this on the bank is that when you pick up your hook (start reeling in) the line goes more "straight up" toward the bobber and don't have the higher tendency to come straight back to ya across the bottom thus reducing snags when you're just freshening bait.

I'm sure there's some sorta rig you could dream up as a variation of this that would work in rivers. I use it in little ones (well if you call Osage little -- it is in the spots I used to fish up above Taberville -- and I've never fished in a river biggern the Osage where it goes past the Sac at Osceola, and since '79 people have called that "Truman" anyways.)

Grandpa used to use this rig at Caplinger Mills, then I totally forgot about it until an ol feller reminded me of it on Jacomo over there on them rocks.

18. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know I don't have to tell my BOC brothers and sisters this, but isn't it funny how many times you get people tellin' you (that don't know what they're talkin about obviously) ... that you ain't gonna catch no catfish if you ain't fishin' on the bottom!!

Gawd that makes me all giggly inside when I hear someone say that. I'd say that probbaly 90% of the cats that get caught did not eat the bait offa the bottom.

19. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, since this is about rigs, might as well post the question here. First of all. Thanks for all the replies. I know there is a rig section is the library section or whatever its called, but I think it helps newbies, like myself to see what everyone else is using, not to mention its just cool to see how many different people use what.

Now for the question, When fishing MO/Missip River and using livebait such as perch/sunfish/bluegill/goldfish/shad/etc. What type of setup/hook do use?

I was using my normal setup gamasutke size 8 circle hook with my one line leader with a size 2 spoon weight.(decided to try a different wieght)

Now my question is, Is the the right hook for live bait? I was told its the right hook for Cut bait, and the WRONG hook for night crawlers. Forgot to ask about goldfish tho. Thanks again guys.

20. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use sizes 6-8 gama octos to rig my live perch and goldfish. i hook them about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch below the back end of the dorsal fin, and i will hook live shad/small mooneye through the lips or eyes. gama octos arent very good at keeping worms on. if you want to try using worms then i would use a semi-large treble and wad up about 5 or 6 big worms in a ball and let some of the heads and tails hang off so the fish will see the worms wiggling around in the water.
    remember that larger live bait will require more wieght to keep them in place, and also, if your fishing current the fish's body can create some drag in the water and may also require more wieght to keep the current from walking it further and further downstream.