what type of hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by nitemare_63, Sep 24, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    help im trying to find me a good catcish hook for river fishing. i most catch small cats from 10 lbs and under but their are bigger ones out there so i am need like 4/0 hooks but i want them to be tuff as nails not like worm hooks if possible because i amd using cut bait and possibly the big fish may come by and i dont want the hook to fail me without costing me a arm and a leg. i also drift fish on the ohio so i am looking for about a 6/0 hook that does not cost a lot but wont let me down. any suggestions on what brand name and style other than circle hooks cause i dont like those. also i herd that stainless hooks are stronger can anyone back that up or is it not true.
    thanks boc

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    FORGET about the stainless hooks! They don't rust out of a cat's mouth if a line is broken off on one. If you want the best all purpose hook for success at river fishin', I'd "suggest" the Gamakatsu octopus circles. (4X strong) They come in numerous sizes. When tight lining for catfish, with these hooks I have about a 95% hookup ratio with all legitimate hits. Once hooked, they RARELY escape!! BTW: These hooks don't break the bank. BOC sponsor Wild Wolf sells them in the 100 pack too!! Also, I assure you that the stainless hooks are NOT stronger than the hooks that I mentioned! I noticed that you said that you don't like circles. With the mentioned hooks, when you get a hard smackdown on the rod, just pick the rod up and start reeling. NEVER try to set the hook as this will result in hookup failure. I urge you to NOT give up on circles! BTW: The octopus circle is not a true circle, but a somewhat modified circle. Sounds like the Gamakatsu 7.0 octopus circles might suit your needs GREAT. I use the 8.0, and they catch 10 pounders just as good as a 4.0

Bill in SC

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009

3. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have used those 4X strong and loved them they are great but a little over kill for most of the fishing i do. i am wondering if the the gamakatsu octopus hooks can hold up to some good size catfish? i am thinking about getting size 4/0 or 5/0. what size cats can i expect to bring in on those hooks before they start to straight out of start to break? i am wanting to use cut bait so i want some nice size cats but nothing huge like over 40lbs

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't know how small they go and still have the 4X rating. I do know that the 4X strong hooks would probably nearly pull a car without straightening out. Here is a generic site I Googled that has all the Gamakatsu hooks and what they are best used for. I'm not promoting this site, and I have never ordered from them, but there is some good info on there.

http://www.corefishingtackle.com/GamakatsuOctopusCircle.html

Bill in SC

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dustin I use Gama circles too. I would recommend at least 6/0 as their sizes seem to run a little small compared to other brands. a 2 pound cat has no problem gettin them in their mouth. I just started using 8/0 and im pretty sure a small cat could take one of them. They are super strong and super sharp and should handle a cat of about any size. Good luck!:wink:

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use the no 8 circles for bait too and I highly recommend them! They are super for gill fishin!

7. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks alot guys. i can use all the input i can get the more the better. i ithink just the regular gamakatsu octopus 6/0 or 7/0 is not too large but big enough to catch anything expecially with the drag not tight so he can run a little.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <but big enough to catch anything expecially with the drag not tight so he can run a little.>

That would be a problem with circle hooks. The idea is to tight line and NOT let the fish have anything. They hook themselves that way. If you give them any slack, they will often be missed. I can't speak for the Gama circles, only the Gama OCTOPUS circles. I still say the 7.0 Octopus circles are small enough for your needs, but tough enough for you to land most fish regardless of size.

Bill in SC

9. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    im talking about after i set the hook and am fighting the fish

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Not to picky Bill, but he stated that he was going to go for the regular octopus, not the circles. :wink:

Dustin, I use the Gamma Octopus 7/0. If you have norrowed your decision between the 7/0 and 6/0, I would suggest that you go for the bigger of the 2. It's not so much the fish that you are catching, as it is the bait your trying to catch them with. The larger gap in the 7/0's will allow you to use live or cut biat easier. As mentioned above, I guarantee that a small cat will have no trouble getting a 7/0 in it's mouth. The bait on the other hand may cause them fits.:smile2:

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Some recently I bought are the Eagle Claw Circle Sea 5 ott hooks. They are tightly gapped and IMO just perfect for medium channels.

12. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I agree with Bill in SC on the brand of hook and style. Gamagotsu is hard to beat.

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

gama's are great hooks I've never seen one straightened or broken and I've snagged on rock's. I've seen 40 pounders and caught a 40 pounder on a #6 gama so they'll get the just done "+BUT" the point on them bend fairly easy, that's why I quite using them and switched to the team catfish double action or the diiachi circle chunk light hooks. These are pretty much the same hooks besides the name but the diiachi for a 3 pack is like 5 bucks as to team catfish is 3 and some change for 5 hooks, so I fish the team catfish.