What type of hooks for braid line?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by mandingo, Apr 4, 2006.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    ive been using circle hooks for a few years now and finally have gotten used to using them with mono line.this year im spooling my reels up with a braid line and was wondering if there would be a difference with the way circle hooks work when being tied to a braid line with zero stretch?what other kinds of hooks do others prefer when using braid and why?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont personally like circle hooks because I like to set the hook. There have been quite a few instances where I wouldnt have caught the fish with circle hooks because of the bite. I use braid and prefer j-style or octopus hooks. Gamakatsu only! I know people that use circles with braid and have no problem, but me personally I dont like them. So it will basically be personal preference for whatever one you like. Good luck!

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I'm pretty shure you would be limited to a straight shank, perferd polemer knot, as apposed to an octopus style with a snell. Unless you use a mono leader. I believe the braid slips too much to snell it. someone might chime in different but I believe most use mono leaders.

4. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I try all hooks the same I and never have a promblem yet :cool:

5. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    if i use nickle plated circles with power pro braid i have a heck of a time with the line slipping

6. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I have 30Lb spiderwire braided, i use any hiik with it, it works just fine.

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I use circle hooks for drifting with a mono leader and a braided main line. I believe you get a better hook set with the braided line because it doesn't stretch. ;)

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I use the same as catmankev,we drift fish like this,so our bait is always moving and the cats cant just mouth it.I wouldnt want to use the circles if I was sitting in a spot.Kahles or J's

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    With braid their will be more of a positive hook up. I have not had any problems with hooks and braided line, although I have not tried snelling a hook with braid will try tonight though just to see. I still use mono on my smaller poles , but do prefer braid for my cat rods.