What type of goldfish do you use for flatheads?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fourteenfootcat, Oct 16, 2005.

1. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    A question was posed to me by one of the members of this forum:

What kind of goldfish do you use for flatheads?

Answer:

Comets aka the Common Goldfish aka Penny (One Cent) Goldfish aka "Feeder" Goldfish you find at Wal-mart, any pet store, or your local bait shop. They work well for me. Some people use Fantailed Comets, but that can get a bit spendy after a while....

For those of you out there that use goldies as bait, what kind do you use? Maybe we can have a consensus.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have used goldfish in the past and, I always used them in the three to four inch range. There is a place near here that sells them like that @ 10.00 a pound you can get 30 to 40 goldfish in a pound.
    To find the large ones go to a place that sells yard pond eccesories some of them carry them.

3. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    The type of goldfish doesn't matter. It's not the color that makes them a good flathead bait, it's the fact that they stay alive and kicking for hours at a time, and in water temps that most native fish can't tolerate. I'll use whatever style of color goldfish the baitshop has, as long as it's lively.

4. fireman10535

fireman10535 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    I would have to agree, just the ordinary common feeders work just fine - matter of fact, I'm headed out with some right now....see ya

5. okiedragster

okiedragster New Member

State:
    wynnewood ,okla.
    i bought some ole common feeders this morning,most are bout 4 inches some a lil bigger . paid $3.00 a dozen...lol

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i buy the feeders about a inch long 12 for a dollar by the next yr they are 4 to 5 inches and ready.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the "feeders" are generally too small.....if you buy them from the baitshop they're usually right sized....i just figure the bigger the better, usually the ones from wal-mart or pet stores are too small for bait.....

8. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i have tried to fish with those feeder goldfish, they were like 3 inches long, but they kept dying on the hook or just laying motionless on the ground. how do you keep them alive? also will a big flathead eat those little goldfish?

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    here in sc if you buy them 4 to 6 inches long you will go broke as they are 5 to 10 dollars that big so i buy feeders and raise them. i havent had any trouble keeping them alive but you can try rock salt in your water to get them tough and also it makes them alittle more frisky

10. fourteenfootcat

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Don't know what wally world you frequent, but feeder goldies should be at least 3-4 inches long.... All the Pet Stores have to have them at those sizes because people feed goldfish to.....

PIRANHAS

Got a few piranhas. They love fresh deer meat...

J.

11. fourteenfootcat

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    hmmmmmmmmm.... Don't know what's up with your goldfish. They're ungawdly tuff fish. Maybe too big of a hook? You need to hook them behind the dorsal fin, always. Then cast them out and let them do their dance of joy when they get engulfed by a huge flathead. ;)

You need goldfish at least 3 inches long, however I have had flatheads hit on a plain leadhead with a small goldfish on it in mid-summer, so you never know. I wasn't even jigging it. I just casted the leadhead out and slowly retrieved it, letting it bump along the sandy flats.

"As your mother tells you, and my mother certainly told me, it is important, she always used to say, always... to try new things." H

12. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i go threw alot of gold fish when the o2 levels are down to much to keep gills alive on the hook,usually when the water is 80+ degrees....i like big baits and the "feeder" gold you get at wally world are to small IMO.here is a photo of some that i use,this is on the smaller side of what i like to use but you get the idea

Attached Files:

13. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    The feeders ive found around here have all been too small, not much bigger than shiners. I did find one bait shop that carries goldfish of decent size for 7 bucks a pound- mixed size but still larger than petstore feeders.

Only bait goldfish near monroe LA ive found... south of west monroe a couple miles past the cheneire spillway on the left side of the highway. mom and pop baitshop/conv. store.
    if anyone knows other goldfish around monroe please post it.
    thanks, chad

14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Madkater got it.........thats about what i use.......perferably bigger...for some reason there was a lack of large ones in ohio this year......usually you can find quarter pounders to half pounders...........and yes......flat heads love em.......usually right before a good run you will see your rod tip flexing because the gold fish gets spooked....lol

15. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    BassMassey... You got it. I always know when something is around my goldfish because my rod tip starts bouncing from the goldfish going crazy trying to get away from being eaten and I keep my shock leader to a foot or less so the goldfish can't hide. :)
    Abu

16. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Only place around here I can find goldfish let's me hand pick them since I buy soo many of them, Heck @ $6/Dz they should let me hand pick 'em!

In the fall they get an assortment of colors, White, Red, Black & combo's of each. Haven't really found that they prefer a certain color but Bigger is definately better. But on the same note, I have cought some of my biggest flatties on the smallest perch (2-3").

17. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    place i get my golds sells them for .50 cents for the smaller ones .75 cents for the ones like i showed in the pic and 1.00 for the larger ones.he usually only has gold or the one sthat almost look silver for the "odd" colors you have to get into the koi and those ar ea bi tmore expensive.color dont matter in my oppinion,flat head are hunters and will eat any thing they see fit for a good meal,they dont car eabout color,they sence the movement and go in for the kill,flat head also have poor eye sight but well developed sensors thats why lively baits tend to work best.not to say they wont eat dead baits caus ei know for a fact they will....i also like to use golds cause they stay alive very well for long periods of time.

18. okiedragster

okiedragster New Member

State:
    wynnewood ,okla.
    yup mad, those are about the average size i use too, the bait shop i get um at always has a girl workin there and she dont wanna get her hands dirty so i get to pick mine too (biggest ones...lol) i leave the tails on the smaller ones and cut the bigger ones tails so they dont move my line as much.. ;)

and yea they are tough ive fished for 4 hours in some pretty strong (river)current and ive pulled um in and they was just as spunky as they was when i stuck um...

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the little dimers at wal-mart if put in a stock tank or small outdoor garden pond grow to 3-5" in just a year or two. i get em and toss them by the dozens in my pond. there ready the next season and breed too.

20. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Jeremy they really grow that big I'm gonna try that. What are you feeding them?