What type of float do you use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by georgiamike, Sep 21, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have heard several people use a float on the leader to thier bait to keep the bait floating up off of the bottom. What kind of a float do you use? I was thinking of tying a piece of sponge or stoyfoam on the leader.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    An egg shaped pin float that slides onto the leader and ya can pin it in place with the pin that comes with them. Once the float is on ya can then secure the leader to your swivel. Works well. If ya want send me your address and I'll send ya a few. Dicks sporting goods has one that I like to use also. They are red and come packaged 2 to a pac. Let me now with a PM.

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Depends on the weight of your bait...around here a lot of people use the old red and white "farmer" bobbers because they can be easily put on and they are dirt cheap.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use the crappie bobbers. Sometimes with the toothpick and sometimes with the clips on both ends. The size is determined by the size of the bait.

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Use Slip Bobbers, Usually The Bigger The Bait The Big The Bobber

6. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok I picked up some of the cigar shaped floats to use, they are orange, should I paint them black or does it matter. My initial thought is that the cats will not pay it any attention but I dont know a darn thing so my thoughts really dont matter, lol

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Peg cork..and the colors do make a difference:crazy:

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have these small clip on bobbers that I use for bluegills. They are about as big around as your thumb..maybe a little bigger.. As far as color I'm not going to say that it does not matter but those little floats are red and white and I have no problem.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use the long type floats, I also like the rounds ones to.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Ya think so Sam? I've used every color from yellow,orange, red and flourescent green and they have nver effected the bite for channels. What has been your experience with them? THANX!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Agree with Big George. Its not like lure fishing, the catfish doesn't bite the float, but the bait. It doesn't even see the float unless you are fishing the bait right next to the float. Color doesn't matter, except to the fisherman. For that reason, I use flourescent green ones. I pick them up in bright light or in the early morning at evening better. White is also good for me.

My favorite floats of the moment are 6-8" long stick floats, unweighted. Next to that, I use cigar shaped foam floats about 3" long. Either work well, I just like to see the big ones bob up and down.