What type of fishing requires the most skill?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by MilwaukeeCatHunter, Apr 2, 2006.

1. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Some of my fishing buddies try to categorize cat fishermen as "the bottom of the food chain" and that gets me mad. So, to "channel" my anger (pardon the pun), here comes this post:

Now I know that everyone on this site is fond of fishing for cats. As we can all see from the complexity of this web site, successful catfishing does take a lot of knowledge and skill. However, I am interested in your opinions on what types of fishing require the most expertise and skill on the part of anglers.

I recently took a fly fishing class, and I think that discipline is very hard to master due to the knots and casting skills required. Being that musky fishing is a close second to catfishing in my heart, I think that musky fishing also requires a lot of skill. Muskie are the "fish of 10,000 casts" and that type of fishing requires a lot of patience, skill, and attention to detail.

Chime in here BOC and defend your passion! Is catfishing an easier discipline to master than other forms of fishing?

2. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I think the fishing that takes the most skill, or the most patience, is anything that you do with a 7 year old. Between the tangles, snags, broken lines, missed fish, and constant questions you have to be a jack-of-all-trades. Fishing with my son is "fish of 10,000 questions".:p

3. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Ya...Im' with you on that one. Same with my 5 year old. That' the BEST fishing of all, though. Keep up the good work preserving our sporting heritage!

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    No! Catfishing is just like anyother it all takes skill. Who knows what a fish is going to bite, when a fish is going to bite or where they are from day to day.

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    If you try and teach a fly fisherman to cast a big abu on a long pole with an 8oz weight or throw a cast net for bait or mix up some stink bait or cure chicken livers.

Well I'm rambling but I would hand them the cast net and make them catch some bait most of the mouthy ones probably couldn't even throw the thing let alone know where to throw it.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have to be honest that Carp fishing is the number 1 hardest in my opinion with catfish in a close second.:)

7. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've never done much Carp fishing, if any. Why is that challenging?

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They are extrememely smart fish and very powerful. A lot of time's it is hard just to get them to bite.

9. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Anybody can fish but few can fish well.

10. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I wish carp where more difficult to catch around here. Must just be the population differences. If you even try and put any thing that resembles corn out in these part you looking to catch a noodle lip.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, around here it's about impossible to trick one into biting. And it's near impossible to land a big one.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say fishing for compliments is the most difficult to master.
    Katmaster Jr., what kind of bait do you use, areas and rigs to catch all of those rep points?:0a28:
    :D lol

13. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    It looks to me that you are doing just fine catchin' rep points. 2.5 per post. Keep up the good work. Maybe its the bold print??

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I think I use the "Make 2,589 post, kind of bait"......LOL!!!!:p

15. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Trying to catch Flaties can take some skill. Its kind of a sport within a sport.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would say trout fishing with a fly rod would take a lot of skills

17. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Carp hard to catch? Man just throw a cast net on em I do it all the time. lol I would agree that maybe Muskies,Trout or landlocked Stripers might be more difficult than cats. I agree that the Flathead is kind of a challenge as well(I'm terrible at it) but Blues are pretty predictable and Channels can even be caught while Crappie fishing(sorry for bringing up scaly vermin). See ya on the water!

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've caught most game fish from barracuda to bream, using different methods.

When you can take something totally artificial tied to a piece of mono as thin as a hair, which is tied to a vinyl line and cast it out over 60', present it, and work it to trigger a strike, then your on your way to mastering a skill.

Soaking bait ain't rocket science, it's just fun.

I taught Judy Marshal (NannyCat), grandmother to 19 at last count, how to throw a 6' cast net, in about 10 minutes at the first Chattanooga gathering. Jim don't leave home without her if he needs bait. That's 6' measured from the horn to the wieghts for you Ohio guys, 12' across.

I'm with Dave on the fly fishing.

19. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Bobpaul:
    . . .I taught Judy Marshal (NannyCat), grandmother to 19 at last count, how to throw a 6' cast net, in about 10 minutes at the first Chattanooga gathering. Jim don't leave home without her if he needs bait. That's 6' measured from the horn to the wieghts for you Ohio guys, 12' across . . .

Reply:

I understand completely. I throw a 7' cast net (yes . . .14' diameter) :p

As for the question of which type of fishing I must say they are all equally easy. Catching is the hard part!

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, in my warped mind, it has to be BASS fishing. After all, you must have considerable skill, knowledge and luck to have a job that will support that pursuit.