what type of fishing reel should i get?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nitemare_63, Nov 28, 2008.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am in the market for a new fishing reel for catfishing. i mostly fish at small rivers and lakes and so on but at the same time i do fish decent size rivers with some fish up to 50lbs cats in there though not likely but ive seen friends of mine pull out them size out. so my question is what type of reel and brand do you all think i need to the bigger cats but not overkill at the same time, and i am on a budget so i cant spend an arm and an leg so is there any suggestions out there. thanks a lot

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The answer is simple... get the best one you can afford. It is like the age old argument of which is better.. a ford, Chevrolet, gmc, dodge, etc. It really don't matter as each is serviceable and it is only the individual's own preference which matters. Bait casting, spinning.... doesn't really matter... each has its own use and each has its own following among fishermen. So, get what YOU like and the dang with the rest of us.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Lawrence said it all. Get the best you can afford! Myself I love the Abu Garcia line of reels. They are reliable and take the abuse Catfish can dish out. With proper maintainance, they should last for years of fishing, maybe even a lifetime. A good starter reel like the 5500c or 6000 is a great all round baitcaster, if you prefer those type of reels. Matched up to a good sturdy rod like the Ugly Stick or comparable rod, you should have a combo that will win the battle against OL' Mister Whiskers!!

Good Luck on the Purchase!!:wink::big_smile:

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, I agree with the above post. Those reels are built for service,,, not that others aren't.
    If you try and just get by with lesser quality, you'll prolly spend a lot more in the long run..and still end up with something being recommended here!!!
    Another brand I've enjoyed is Daiwa, both in spincast and baitcast. the Millionaire 300 is a great reel, I put 20# mono on them and have a ball. I think they can be had somewhere around $40.00 from e-bay..
    Good luck, Good fishin'!!

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    Yes - The Fellows have spoken - and when they speak, I'm all ears.
    :wink:

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I like all kinds of reels. If I was looking for 1 setup that would do good for you,go withan Abu Garcia. At wal mart they have the 6600 pro rockets for $84 where I live. It's a good reel. As for rods,go with an ugly stik m/h. Good all around rod for cats. But if you're "cheap" like me,check pawn shops or your local craigslist. I enjoy taking advantage of others misfortune. Whenfolks need money,toys are the first to go. So try looking into some used ones.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with the guys who say get the best you can afford but some times the most:0a26: expensive is not the best I have a old cardinal that I bought 30 years ago if you take care of the one you get it will last for years there are good lower price reels out there and you could also consider a higher priced used one some times you can find them in auctions,garage sales good fishing brother

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I seen that you have a rod purchased and for a reel you should have the same type as the rod youre putting it on (spinning, casting) or it wont work as well as it should. as far as brand okuma has some of the best quality for the cheepest price. there is better out there for more but probally not for cheep.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I bought an Abu 5000 in 1963 and still fish with it today. You take care of them, they'll take care of you.

10. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anyone used penn reels? i heard they are tough reels and you can find them at around 50 bucks at gander mountain given you can prolly go up or down depending on what size reel. thanks for all the help i guys out there in the boc. just awesome

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used penn reels, they are very good strong reels, they are winches in my opinion, not catfishing reels.

I need a reel that will cast far and smooth as silk, I have had 4 penns, none of them would do that.

Now if I needed to tie on 100-lb test line and drag a tree out of the river, I would choose a penn, if I wanted a reel to fish with, I would take an abu garcia 6500.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    An Abu 6000 would serve you well. Can handle the big boys and at least doesn't "look" over kill for smaller fish. I've got 3 and am getting 3 more first of next week so I like them:wink:

13. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Penn Reels! They will last you the rest of your life! I trust my Penn reels! I think you will catch more fish if you have the right set up for the size fish you are targeting. I am not taking my big (309 4/0) Penn reels to catch 2-10 lb kitties. I use my smaller Penn reels (9, 4400). The lighter tackle you use the more fun it is! Unless you fishing in heavy cover then you need something a little more stout.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use Abu 6000, 6500C3 baitcasters, and a cardinal C106 spinning reel for catfishing and they are great reels.

15. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Penn makes a great reel. The 209 and 309 are good,reasonably priced reels. But,if you aren't catching huge fish,they might be overkill. Are you bankfishing or boating? Thats also 1 thing to consider. In a boat,you don't need to cast as far as you typically would from the bank. I have rods and reels for both.

16. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You never specified if you are looking for spinning or casting reels. I would suggest for a casting reel, an Abu 6500 series. For a spinning reel, an Okuma Avenger series. Both are very nice and not very expensive. Good luck.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I have used penn reels, they are very good strong reels, they are winches in my opinion, not catfishing reels.>

Amen to that reply! I use Abu Garcia 6500s, but also have a couple of 6000s that do well also.
    Bill in SC

18. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i would like to say keep the posts coming i need all the info about penn reels from people that have them or used one, and also thanks to all who welcomed me to the boc. so i saw that someone said that penn baitcaster reels are hard to cast???? anyone have an opinion on that i would like to hear cause i need one that i can cast. i do a lot of bank fishing..

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man, buy yourself a Ferrari (Abu Garcia) and NOT a Mack truck (Penn) BTW: Whichever you choose, check out Catfish Connection for your reel and tackle needs. BTW: WELCOME to the BOC from sunny SC!
    bill in SC

20. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well i do love a ferrari but i am for a truck lover.. been around them all my life and i would choose a mack truck anyday lol thanks for the welcome to the boc everybody here seems real nice and chalk full of info