What type of fishing line shouldn't I consider purchasing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by dreamcatcher, Sep 29, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

We always start threads about fishing line that is considered good for different catfishing situations, so I thought I would get everyone's opinion on fishing line that is supposedly designed for catfishing that you don't like. Give us a practical reason why you wouldn't fish with it even if I gave you a spool of it. It is my belief that most of the manufacturers make good fishing line, so there isn't too much bad line out there. However, I am sure there are a few that slip through the cracks. In an attempt to save the novice (or experienced) fisherman some hard earned cash give us your list of fishing line that you feel fails the test in most applications. Don't just blanket a manufacturer unless you feel all their products are substandard (which is hardly the case). Give us the type of line...

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    IMO spider wire stelth.that stuff is crap

3. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    I bought a spool of Remington 6# for speck(crappie) fishing the first knot i tied failed, the line kept breaking no matter what it was used for, kids pole, mounting orchids so it's somewhere in the junk box and it's back to Ande.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I would say the renegade 50# mono. Its the cheapo generic line that wally world sells. I couldnt wait to get that stiff high memory twist up crap off my reel today n put on power pro braid.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do Not Buy Stren! Thats Stuff Is Like Using A Rubber Band!

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That switch is like going from a ford pinto to a cadillac, no comparison.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    im not goin to tell you again vic , my line is the best , so dont buy any line any one else says buy they know not what i know ,i know best you know i know best they know you know i know best you know what im saying

:lol:

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Spiderwire....I hate the stuff

Big Game High Impact, like others have said before. It nicks real easy.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Their fusion is way worse.

Stren's super braid is awesum id compair it to power pro.
    I believe its gorilla tough braid that I have on a reel that stuff is so rough going through the eyes a 1 1/2# fish reels in like a 5#er Wont use it! :angry:

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Vic, if you are paying more than 1 cent a yard, you are paying too much for line. I'm sure the expensive line is good, but any of it will fail at times. I just cant see paying a lot of money for a "name" and leaving it on the bottom of the river, or worse keep cutting out the knicks and bad spots until there is nothing left. Kinda like buying expensive fireworks just so you can light them on fire. Vern

11. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

This is an interesting thought Vern. Now of course I am going to ask you why you chose one cent as your unit of measurement. ROTFLOL. I guess this means that braid is definitely not your line of choice from an economic standpoint. You are correct in saying that it will all fail in time, some quicker than others. Now something that really puzzles me in line with your economic view of the situation is how often people feel like they have to change line out. I hear of people changing it out every year, with some people changing it out multiple times within a year. How often do you really need to change out line? I know your brother caught his personal best on two year old line, and I am fishing with line on a couple of reels that I haven't changed out in some time. It seems to be working out just fine for my fishing situations. Granted I don't get to fish as often as some do, which makes a difference, but I often wonder how much of it is actually a marketing ploy?

If you had to change it out often it could get really expensive. Most of the line I have just sits on the reel away from direct sunlight as I can only fish two at a time. How damaged is that line getting really? In terms of memory loss isn't it the same as it would be wound if it was on the original spool?

Vic

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm a big fan of the Berkly big game solar green. Had a bulk spool of 20# test in the high vis blue that was total garbage. Kept kinkin up and was very stiff.

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Vic, as to your questions. I chose one cent a yard as a unit of measurement because the line that I currently use and have used for the last ten years is less than $2.50 for a 250 yard spool. It is the Omniflex brand from Walmart. Due to the fact that I am a very "avid" fisherman, I change my line more than twice a year, most times due to neccessity, such as getting low on the spool from snags and such. Also most petroleum based products, i.e. plastics, will "rot" especially after being exposed to weather, water and sunlight. Something to think about if you are targeting large fish. Line failure is a very common cause of fish being lost. Alot of the failure is due to improper drag setting, snags and other problems, but often it is just weak line. As far as the memory goes, the only way that being on the reel is the same as similar time on the original spool is if the reel spool is the same diameter as the original spool, which is often not the case. Also I have seen line that was directly off the shelf be rotten, I'm not sure if it was poor manufacturing or if the line had a poor shelf life. Vern

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If I can't fish for 5-6 months, I'll reline my reels. When I fish two or three times a week, as I did this summer, I will put new line on about once a month. I do it not because the line gets old, but because with snags, breakoffs, and cutting frayed line back, the line eventually gets to the point that it doesn't come off the reel spool well and won't cast as far. If I do it my self, Big Game 15 costs me about $2-3. If I let Academy do it, about a $1.50 more.

15. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i herd that spiter wire makes holes in your guids and on your reel. :eek:oooh:

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jordan, most braided lines are hard on your rod tip and guides. Vern

17. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey, thanks for the information Vern...