What type of Fishing Line is best for fishing for big catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by okie catfishen, Aug 12, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I have tried a few different types of fishing line and have not found a line that I am happy with. I was wondering what type of catfishing line is best for fishing for big cats. I have watched some of the catfish videos on this web site and I see them using a green fishing line, does anyone know what they are using? Those are some big cats and looks like a good string to use.

Thanks for your help,
    Keith
    Newcastle, Ok

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Personally, when I know I'm going to be where there are big cats, I use spiderwire, or firewire. I personally have never broken my line, lost a hook, or damaged my equipment using either of these. Just remember when you use these kinds, if you get a snag, DO NOT WRAP THE LINE AROUND YOUR FINGERS and tug. Get a stick, or something not valuable.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I peronally like the berkley big game witch is green. I use 15 lb. test. Try looking in the libary, lotsa good ideas.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use Big Game 15 and 20 lb. My leader is 30lb. If I caught fish over 25 lbs consistently, I'd probably go to at least a 50 lb leader. The main reason for heavier lines isn't so much that the fish is going to break the line, but often catfish are found where there's a lot of structure. The abrasion from the structure or the cat tangling with the stuff in the water is what breaks lines, that and the fact that the know is a weak link.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In the videos they are using berkly biggame monofiliment in 40-lb test..I use it in 20-30 lb test.

6. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i use berkley big game 40 and 50lb test. this line is green and very strong.

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i think thats its up to the person fishing

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    man, i have used just about every line out there and there are alot of good lines and alot of bad ones. i still can't believe some guys on here still use braids to catfish with. although todays braids are better than when they first started they still do not hold up to abrasion like mono does plus they are alot more expensive. even top of the line spectra braids still do not outperform mono when it comes to abrasion.also the lack of stretch can actually result in alot of hooks being pulled out. that being said, i like berkley line and spiderwire mono alright( wouldnt give ya a dime for stren) but i have found some line that has better abrasion resistence than anything i have fished with so far. it's called tightline and is made by offshore angler. bass pro is the only place to get it. it is a little stiff but i dont mind that. launching 8-10 ounce sinkers it dont much matter. i need something to hold up to the elements. this stuff fits the bill. its a saltwater line that is actually tests stronger than it states on the package. so if your going for a line class record you probably wouldnt want it. its also very inexpensive and as much as i fish and change line i just have not been able to find anything better than this stuff.

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Keith, thats kinda funny that I fish HEAVY structure on the mississippi and ohio rivers such as big rocks, concrete, trees and everything in between, I use 80lb powerpro with a 80lb BERKLEY leader and guess which one gets nicked and breaks everytime................The MONO leader. lol

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    most of the new braids are coated to prevent abrasion and water absorsion and will out perform and out last most mono's and don't have memory where you have to change it a couple times a season do to nicks and tangling because of memory. You hear people on here talking about changing line two or three times a season or after each large fish do to stretch with mono, I've gone through all those problems and granted, mono is better now also. I have 50# power-pro on a couple of my outfits thats been on there for this makes the third season and I fish the Ohio river with plenty of rocks, logs, riprap and garbage. I don't have to use really big sinkers because its thin and don't catch the current as bad. The worse thing that happens to my line is gars which I don't think theres a line made that will take that unless its steel. I say it all boils down to just personal preferance because if some of the fishing lines were as bad as some people say, then I don't see how they would still be in business after 25 or 30 years of making line.

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    demetrius, the reason your leader is nicked is because it is the part of the line that is most likely to come in contact with structure.if you are using 80 main you should be using double that for a leader. i realize it is probably difficult to find 160 pound line but anyway the leader is closest to the fish and the snags. do a little test. find a concrete block then get a section of both lines. grab both ends of one of the lines and rub it back and forth on the block.do this with both lines. count how many strokes it takes to break each one of them. i would be highly surprised and amazed if the braid made it more times than the mono did. the lack of stretch and shock absorbtion of the braid is one of the main reasons most mono is more abrasion resistent. also, the tightline i use is more abrasion resistent than berkley big game. you really ought to check some of it out.

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Gotta love the power pro, I use a little smaller(65 lb.) I find it to be a tough line, I fish rocky areas where I'll straighten a hook or loose a sinker more often than breaks.

13. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I like Berkley Big Game line mono in the solar green color.

I really like 20 lb test on my big spinning rigs, 25 lb on my 6500 w/7' Catfish Ugly Sticks and 40 lb. test w/8' Catfish Ugly Sticks.

Good stuff.

14. ribsplitter

ribsplitter New Member

State:
    Kentucky, Rush
    Cortland spectron here 80# braid I use it for my catfish rigs and my muskie rigs it is more expensive but i use it all year long and when the next season rolls around i just reel it off one onto the other for the next season. I use the same for my leader on my catfish rigs but a steel braid on my muskie rigs this line has totally impressed me al around ive used several different momos and braids and it is the most abbrasion resistant and best casting line ive used absolutly no memory.