What Type of Deer Calls Do You Use ?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by zeboman, Aug 24, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ve had bucks charge in after using the primos Lil` can , have any of you had success using a snort -wheeze call ?

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Yes, I used that call this year on the friday before gun season opened while bow hunting on the ground, I had set up about 40 yards from two bedded bucks. As soon as i blew the call they stood up, layed their ears back and started my way. I have never been so close to such a big buck, which caused me to get a bad case of buck fever, missed both of the deer horribly. The following day i used the same call in the same area to call in a really nice 8 point buck which i was lucky enough to harvest.

The call does work, you just gotta use it right, and know when to use it. Good luck

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a buck grunter call which works good, and I have used a call which immitates a distressed fawn, or can immitate a buck. I tried a can call, but then got it wet and it didn't work so good. I might try another this year. The grunter call is good to bring in bucks, or to stop one which is running. It stops them long enough to shoot them.

4. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I have had good sucess with the primos can too. I would really like to try out the new buck roar or buck growler that thing sounds neat. As far as rattling or gruntin i havent had much luck though.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've really never had much luck calling or bringing deer closer with a call. I have been able to slow down or stop a deer with a call long enough to get a shot. When I didn't have my call once because I dropped it out of my stand and didn't want to crawl down I tried something else. I had a deer about 45 yards out walking at a good pace. I actually yelled "Here Deer" ....he stopped and looked around. He then proceeded to walk close enough within bow range for me to take a shot. Double lung at 30 yards and he ran about 20 before he dropped.

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I rattle bucks in on a regular basis with a small five point rack and my son in law uses a rattle bag with some success.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    rattling and grunting have never been that effective in the area that i hunt. i do keep a fawn bleat, and a grunt tube on me. but 9 out of 1o times the best call i have ever used is silence. i am sure i have had deer react to the fawn bleat a few times. and i know of at least 2 bucks who came in wantin' some action after the grunt tube. but for the most part, i prefer quiet. shoot, nothing makes a moving deer freeze up like a sharp whistle. at least in my lil corner of the swamp.

8. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Using that new Buck Roar along with rattling during the rut will really bring the bucks runnin. I would just recommend that you dont hunt on the ground unless you want a lap full of ticked off deer!!!:wink::wink:

9. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The local deer respond to rattling and grunts but the mountain deer could care less. I`m going to get a snort wheeze call this year, either a primos or a MAD call.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    of all the calls i have not tried, the snort wheeze sounds the most promising. it sounds backwards but people imitate nature. i have seen girls by the dozen hit on a guy. (wish it was me) you know what he did? he teased them all but only chose 1. the closest 1 at that. i have seen the same guy stop in his tracks walk across a street and completely ignore several attractive young ladies, just to confront some idiot who called him a name...

11. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i used the can last year to bring some deer that i had seen earlier back my way and did end up stickin one of them. this year ill use that and am going to try the knight and hale translator grunt thinamajig

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dan,I haven't had any luck with calls ,But then again I mainly hunt mule deer and they are a completely different critter than whitetails.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Tru-talker sometimes deer react to it and sometimes not

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    The only call I've had luck with was the can. And that was after jumping some does by accident. I called one back but missed the shot with my bow during early archery.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use "The Can", a grunt, and rattling antlers. I called in a little buck last year that laid down about 30 years behind me and wouldn't move for an hour. He finally got up and went back down the mountain.

16. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Primos lil can for me too. Mostly for does.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Over the years of my hunting adventures, I have enjoyed rattling and grunting. This seems to work very well in areas that hold early bachelor groups of bucks. I use a medium sized 6 point rack for rattling and use aggresive grunts while rattling and thrash the antlers into brush and the ground and tree limbs. I usually rattle and grunt for 30-45 seconds and then sit perfectly still and hunt with my eyes. I have had smaller bucks run into my position within a matter of minutes and have had larger bucks wait as long as 30 or 40 minutes only to come in down wind to scent check the area. Sometimes after spotting a larger buck, a single low grunt can be the determining factor of harvest or empty handed return.:wink:

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use a grunt call and I do not use it very much. I think if a call gets hot
    more people use it and deer get wise to it. I have seen deer panic when
    they hear the can. It depends on hunting pressure where you hunt. In order
    to rattle you need a good buck to doe ratio. If you have to many does, bucks
    very seldom respond to a rattle, he has to many women to have to fight for one.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you here. The buck to doe ratio is very important when rattling. I have improved the buck hunting in my area over the last 5 years, by harvesting more mature does early in the season. When the bucks start to rut, they have to move around more to find estrous does and this makes them more vulnerable to hunters. I have seen many more trophy bucks since I started harvesting more of the mature does every year. Also letting the smaller and younger bucks walk on by and not shooting them. I hunt in an area that on any given day you might see 20 or 30 does and 5 bucks or so. I still need to harvest more does and encourage everyone who hunts near here to do the same thing.:eek:oooh:

20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I love the can and the buck growl tube call.