What type of Catfish is this??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Jun 30, 2008.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] My Son caught this Catfish at Lake Worth in Texas....using a glup minnow...he was targeting BASS and his reel got a tangle so he was working on the
    the line with the bait on the bottom....As he was done with the reel problem, he was reeling in line and we thought he was stuck!!! and at the other
    [​IMG] end was this CAT! I think its a flathead !!

2. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Looks like a spawning male channel cat. Their heads swell up and their skin gets darker when they spawn. He looks like he's a little skinnier than normal, too, which is also a symptom of the spawn.

They are tougher to catch when they are spawning, since their mind isn't on food right now. They will attack anything that wobbles past them, though, because they are protecting the nest. I know a lot of guys up here that start catching them on crankbaits about this time of year.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ben is right. As skinny as that one was the spawn may be close to being done. Male channels turn dark blue and get swollen heads, they almost look deformed and sick but this is just natures work.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    YEPPERS, it's a spawning male channelm cat

5. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Yep, definately a channel. My son once caught an 8lb flathead with a small crappie jig while fishing for skipjack.

6. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    It looked like a dragon head or a weird dinosaur!
    Oh, how do you hold these guys? Can you put your fingers in their mouths? or do they chomp down? thanks

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    most definently a channel cat. going with the others guys saying it is a male channel. usually you can tell be the blue coloration. thanks for the post!!

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ill take channel for 300.00.

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That fish is what us experts call a"biggun"!!

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sure... you can put your fingers in their mouths... yep, you guessed it... the bigger ones can mash your fingers good in those jaws! Be glad that God gave them little bitty teeth like sandpaper.

Everyone's got this one down pat... it's a male channelcat. We call them "Bufflehead Blues" in Oklahoma 'cause their head gets so swelled up and misshapen that they're plumb ugly. Their color turns to a dark dark blue, nearly black at the end of the spawn. These fellows are ravenous! Most successful male channelcats have been on the nest guarding it through two and sometimes three cycles of egg laying and brood raising. Through it all, the dutiful daddy catfish doesn't eat anything, and may lose as much as 50% of his weight.

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I caught one last year and I am ashamed to admit this, but thought I had caught a new species or hybrid of catfish! Because it looked nothing like any blue/flat/channel/bullhead/white I had ever seen.:eek:oooh:

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you can grab them by the mouth, but they will bite. it's no big deal, that way you won't drop them!

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yep, that's a excellent pic of a spawning channel cat. Poor fellow...I know how he feels, LOL.

-Jim-

Thanks for the pic Tina.

14. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    We always called them chuckelheads, They get pretty beat up and nasty looking at certain time of the spawn.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a flathead would have a flat tail where it ends. notice the deep fork in the pic? a blue has a rounded end fork and flatheads is flat.

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    For sure .Yeah you can put your thumb in thier mouths ,but fair warning..It does hurt a bit and will leave a nice mark for a long time. Wear a jersy glove on that hand to cushion a bit.Small sandpaper teeth with a lot of gripping power.Still have the mark from last year.Don't hurt just have an impression of its teeth.Best way to hold them or any cat is (Very Carefully.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a Channel.