What type of catfish did I catch?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bsites9, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    Hey, this may be asking a lot, but does anyone have a pic of a bullhead catfish? I caught 2 fish tonight from my local public lake, and i don't know what they are. They're definately not channels or blues, and the Game and Fish website only lists channels for this lake. I'm guessing at flathead, or what i've seen called bullhead, but i'm sure bullhead havn't been stocked there. Its a man-made lake, so i don't know how they would have gotten there. anyway, they're small, but i had to keep em cause they both swallowed my hooks really good. so i'm concerned with filleting them if they're not gonna be good eatin. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    go to google and google bullhead catfish and at the top click imiage's

3. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
  4. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    are they edible? i don't understand how they got into this lake. the state didn't stock them. according to the website, they just stock channels. i don't know why they'd stock bullheads anyway. but i don't know much either way when it comes to catfishin.

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Bullheads are just as good eating as any catfish.

6. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    They are tasty critters

John

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I prefer to eat bullheads over channels, and the small ones over most any other kind of fish. Of course I grew up fishing in a river (and I still do most of my fishing there) where you catch over 90% bullheads. If they're small enough I don't fillet them, just skin and gut, then fry the rest whole.

8. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    They are tasty, especially from cold, clear water. If I catch them through the ice, they get cleaned and fried.

Sometimes, if you buy minnows, there will be a tiny bullhead or two in the bucket. If that bucket gets dumped after somebody's done fishing, there may be a population after a while. Bullheads can survive a lot... I'm pretty sure they'd make it through a nuclear holocaust. If they were introduced by mistake, or by some "armchair biologist," they could become established.