What type of cat is this?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by RSVBill, Jul 29, 2007.

1. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hello everyone ,I am new to the web thingy here but not to the whole fishin thing,

So my family has a lake here in northern kentucky about 2 acres, I have been working to clean it up and make it more fisshy friendly to include diggin out with a back hoe all around the dam and making cover for bass and so on. this morning i took my wife fishing after a few hours of weed eating and tree trimming, we caught this cat, i am not sure what it is to sound funny I am attaching a pic,

this cat weighed 9 lbs and could not have been any more black in color that is my question ,

what are the guesses?

thanks

bill

Attached Files:

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    poor picture, Bill...looks fat like a blue and dark like a channel....catch another one and give us a better pic:big_smile:

3. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah unfortunatly I only had my Phone camera , it was definatly a healthy fish, i have never seen a cat black like this, do channels get dark? there were no spots at all, solid black small grey area on the belly.

i know the lake has channels, flats, and blues, all have been brough in while stocking it.

i will be sure to get a better camera to keep at the camp house for the next fish

thanks bill

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Looking at the mouth, it looks more like a channel cat to me. I could be wrong but the pic doesn't reveal alot!!!

5. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Looks like a catfish to me :smile2: hard to tell by that pic though better get you a new camera. Nice fish though congrats.

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    From the head and mouth, looks like a channel..Nice one at that:wink:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    looks like a channel cat thats just dark. I had one dark like that once.

8. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    That is a big male channel

9. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I MUST SAY CHANNEL ,BUT NOT SURE

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    in the summertime in sluggish parts of the big muddy the bigger channels look exactly like that. the smaller ones are usually dark green. i think its the water.

11. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    it looks like it has the body of a channel cat, I just havn't ever seen a solid black channel cat before, I wonder if there's different species of them,,Thanks for sharing the picture with us,,,

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    No clue as to what kind it is ,however it s a nice Cat just the same. I'm leaning towards Channel but wouldn't want to bet the farm on it.Thanks for sharing anyway,now go catch another one just like it and hopefully get a little better pic of it.

13. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thank you everyone for your input, I will not be able to catch another on till next weekend, will be headed to toledo on the next train out this afternoon.

Yes i agree with everyone the picture quality is not the best but not many cell phone are very good for that.

i will keep you posted for the next time i catch the ole boy or another like him.

Again thanks,

bill

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Channel cat - from the color, I'd say a male, probably post spawn

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    that is a channel. fish will turn different colors sometimes due to the environment they live in.

16. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I'd like to know also, ppl say channel, I dunno. I know that at th cabela's in Buda, Tx, they have a giant cat, solid black w/a white stripe down each side, long triangle design, and a small white spot on its head. its in th aquarium w/th albino blue, and other fish, looks cool as .... well u know. never seen one like it b4. would like to catch one myself.

17. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    The quality of the picture isn't bad, it's what is displayed in the picture. If you catch another one like it, try to get a side photo that includes everything from head to tail, especialy the anal fin.

A channel catfish will have a forked tail and it's anal fin should be curved with 24 to 30 rays.

Hope that helps.

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp New Member

State:
    OH
    My vote goes for a channel cat too.

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Every one that said Channel Cat is one hundred percent correct! :wink:

20. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I am with NetmanJack. I pull them out of my pond like this quite often.