What type of boat do you prefer?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Golden, Aug 10, 2009.

What type of boat do you prefer?

1. Somthing small just to get on the water

2. A big Deep-V

3. A Bass boat

4. A Pontoon

5. Dosent matter just get me on the water!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I see alot of people with different types of boats from really small 14ft to a nice deep V 18 to 19ft. I was just wondering if there is any kind of advantage to different types. Me i would rather have a versatile multi purpose boat like a fish and ski. Just so i can fish for bass, catfish, or anything in between. and when it come down to it take the family out tubing or somthing. I do like pontoons also just for the room and i think they would make really good catfish boats but thats about all they are good for. let me know what you think.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I have a 1872 sea ark ,an also a 20 ft scout ,both are cc boats ,but the 20ft is for sale .I can fish anywhere i want to now out of the sea ark.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i have a 15' trimarin randallcraft with a 48 horse evinrude. it has an old school front seat stick steering.

4. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    A lot depends on where you plan to use it. For like the Scioto River I like a jon type, Lake Erie I like the Lunds or Stratos with walk thru. For all other fishing I keep going back to the Bass Tracker bass style boats. I trade boats often, and could have most any boat I want but keep going back to the BT's. Just my choice, I have owned 4 of them , 1987 Pro 16(only one I bought new) 1994 pro 18, 2005 ProTeam 185,and now own a 2003 ProTeam 185

Attached Files:

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think Jon boat would be a good addition to the list. They are one of the most common catfishing boats.

7. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Thats the something small option

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I love jon boats during the summer time, and fishing calm water. But I have to go with big v boats, because i fish alot in the colder months and fish in alot of current. I have a Henry "0 17ft Fishing Boat with 90 HP Yamaha. Its a center console. Haven't fished out of her yet, but I am sure she is what i was looking for in a boat.

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Each body of water really requires a different size boat. Some lakes a pontoon or flat bottom works fine. In a bigger river with the swift currents I'd think a larger V-bottom type boat would be more preferred imo.

10. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Body of water is a big factor as Catman put. If you are gonna fish large rough lakes and the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers I dont think you can beat a Deep V for safety and stability as well as for room and flexibility in Modification. I am biased becasue I have one and all my buddies who own boats do too. Bass Boats are nice and can haul, but they get waked easier. I would say next is pontoons....really they would even be more stable...just are slower if you want to change spots quickly, but you can have rod holders placed all around and have lots of room for sitting/bait tanks and livewells, storage etc...and can get a canopy for winter fishing in them. Any boat however, is better than no boat :big_smile::wink:

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What you need is a Deep V for rushing river days, a flatbottom jet boat for the smaller rivers, a pontoon for those 3 night trips and a cuddy cabin for winter. That should just about do it.

12. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of my fishing is in a lake so my 16.5 ft Lowe fish and ski 90 HP opti works great. Doubles as a family boat,too. Gets you there pretty quick yet easy to trailer and load. Comfortable for two. Four rodhalders plug into the rear seat socket.

13. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well i'll go with a flatbottom seark mossy green aluminum with a couple rod holders and a 35 and im set!:smile2::wink:

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Well, I have a 19.5ft Bayliner 'glass boat. I think that qualifies for "Big, deep V". :) I also have a 130hp mercruiser. It's great to have, but limits the places that I can put it in.

I have had it for 17 years. I used to do a lot more runnin around on the water than I do now. If I decide to do it again, I would probaly stick with a deep V, but go more along the line of a aluminum 16' or so. I would probably go with a 50hp or so...that should get the job done. However, I really do like the motor set-up in those jet style boats. They just don't seem to be very well set-up for bottom fishing...especially since I tend to stay all night and sleep on the boat when I get tired.

An open, roomy back....and large enough to sleep somewhat comfortable. Those are my wants/needs.

15. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That is the boat i want is a LOWE fish and ski so i can cat or bass fish or take the family out for the day

16. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i custom rebuilt a 16ft bayliner capri for fishing the big O ,has a casting deck up front ,two seats and a wide open back ,has enough room i could put a lazy-boy back there(hmmmm...) i'm just finishing it up ,had been fishing out of an old 16ft starcraft but was set up like a bass boat and had a really narrow beam, didn't like it out there when the wakes and current kicked up

Attached Files:

17. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Do you plan on carpet, or leaving it glass? Was that an old fish and ski, or a cuddy? Or, did you build that deck? :) Either way, I think you will really enjoy it when it's done.

Oh, make sure you put at least 1 sleeper seat in it. :)

18. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    it was a bowrider , I'm leaving it glass as carpet has no place in a fishing boat spent the last month and a half building it and still have few things left to do hopefully have it out this weekend

19. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was always a fan of the deep-vee boats. I own tri-hull which is very nice for river fishing but not much for any larger lake. But when I went to South Carolina this spring to fish the Santee I found that a well outfitted pontoon boat is about the most comfortable and and best fishing rig I've ever been on. I have been keeping my eyes out for a cheap pontoon that I can outfit almost identical to what Capt. Roundhill had.

20. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd love to have a couple of "sleeper seats" in my boat. Do you know if you can get something to plug in to the seat sockets?