What type fish finder for the Mississippi

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Ol Swampy, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Looking to upgrade from my eagle 480 to something better. What are you guys using and what is the best for the river.
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well...........the Humminbird 1197c is all the rage nowadays!:wink:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Indeed it is, and for 3000 bones you can be the proud owner of one. :smile2:

Here is some info I learned from Eric during the boat show.

The Humminbird 997SI and the 1197SI have the same exact 8000 watts of power. The 997 can be had for half of the price of the 1197. So in essence your paying 1500 dollars for about an inch and a half of extra screen. You dont gain in magical power by going to the 10.4" screen.

On the Mississippi River, its hard to beat the middle of the road Lowrance units. For 800-1200 dollars you can get your hands on a top of the line GPS Unit that works wonders on the Missisippi. Its merely a matter of personal choice, and budget.

I know alot of the club members run Lowrance Units, and a handfull of the others are running humminbirds. I'm sure they will be along shortly to mention the advantages of their units so that you can make an informed decision.

You can also go to Lowrances website and do a side by side unit comparison if that will help you out.

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

And Mr. Cuz, what is your final decision????? Is it the 1197c or not?

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    HUMMINGBIRD 161 GPS/TEMP/SPD WALMART 283.00

iTS GREAT AND IT WILL SEE THE MISSISSIPPI AROUND GREENVILLE THIS SUMMER.

6. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i looked at all the finders, they all for the most part have good points. but i just got a 797 si with the maps installed. so far i love it,

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    But Cuz,
    Truth be told couldn't we all use an inch and a half more:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:?
    ...W

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The screen size difference seems insignificant but when you see them side-by-side the 1197C dwarfs the 997C and it in turn dwarfs the 797c2. So....... size does matter, but still I suppose its what you can do with what you got that really matters!:tounge_out::wink:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ah the ol Fishfinder and Manhood argument :smile2::smile2:

Knowing how to use what your 'equipped' with is of utmost importance for sure. :smile2:

I agree, its kinda hard to look past that 1197. I had the opportunity to walk out of the boat show with a fully stacked 1197 for 2500 and alas, I walked. It was painfull, but I did it. :sad2: I have another project I'm saving up for and just cant justify the unit, YET. :wink: I suspect you'll probably see an 1197 on the rig by this time next year though. I'm waiting to see if there is any bugs in the new display or not before I make the leap.

I love my Lowrance, but she dont look sideways with 480 feet of coverage either. A distinct advantage on the clear watered rivers like the Ohio, Cumberland and Tennessee.

10. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    well cuz id like to have one of those but like you say i dont know what it will do in the big muddy i would say when the water is down it should do fine but add a little rise and some leaf traffic what happens i have not heard anybody talk about this shure would like to know we need to get a rep from hummingbird up here and show us what it will do on the sippy of i am from the show me state lol

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    All I can say is it doesn't care if the water is muddy, it is sonar and it can see detail to the sides like you wouldn't believe. I have issues with my transducer placement which leaves high-speed ops useless but it isn't the unit.

Side imaging is a slow speed operation anyway as it starts to skip at 6-9mph (per the manual), can't remember the exact quote.

I found a sunken barge that was not on the Navionics map and the 2d sonar showed a blob of indeterminate structure. The side imaging clearly showed a barge.

Useful in the Mississippi??? YOU BETCHA!!!!!:smile2:

12. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    well guys im still playing with the 797, but even with the river rageing right now i can see alot of things clear, its just a aid but what a aid. it is a little hard to get use to, but over all im very happy with it. a yr. from now i might get the 997 & move the 797 to the front of the boat.