what type fish are in monocello?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by whichrod, Oct 22, 2005.

1. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    i was wondering if theres any stripers in there what about white bass?? also are there any flatheads in there??

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well there's isn't any striper or flatheads but I've heard they are white bass. I know there is white perch, yellow perch, crappie, white cats, channel cats, blue cats, largemouth bass, bluegill, shellcracker, threadfin shad, bullheads and some sort of herring. :) :)

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah those herring can jump way out of the water I see them mostly at night you can shine the spotlight on em and they'll jump almost dance accross the water.And yeah there is white bass in there but nothing like it used to be.

4. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    i wonder why the shell cracker/ bream fishing out there is so bad'?? its like there arnt any big ones out there?? or iam i just not doing something right

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yeah I see herring at night, they look funny jumpping when the light hits them.

Whichrod may the cats ate all the big ones.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I think if you could throw the thrownet to catch whatever they are that would probably be one of the best baits.They look to me like those big ocean herring that run up through santee they run all the way up to columbia each year but theres to many dams so they couldnt make it to Monticello.They may have come down from north carolina.I agree 100 percent on the no trotlines, jugs etc. but I really wish they would let you throw a thrownet for bait because sometimes those perch are hard to catch its hard to sit and watch a huge school of shad swim right by the boat and you cant do anything about it.On the fishing aspect the drifting for me has slowed down I anchored yesterday and caught 4 from 10 to 25lbs and it took a while to catch them.

7. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    btw did yall know you can now fish in the smaller lake 7 days a week and use gas motors??

8. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm planning to start fishing Monticello for blues soon. Which area of the lake should I concentrate on and how deep? Also, will the big blues bite during the day or is it mainly an early morning bite? Is it a SC DNR rule that you can't use cast nets there? I do most of my fishing for blue cats at Badin but I would like to start fishing a little closer to home. Sounds like Monticello is a good blue cat lake.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Can't use castnets at Monty, I called and asked them a few weeks ago. I fish it during the daytime myself but during the summer month nightfishing is a must.

10. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I take it,this isn't the Lake Monticello in Texas. :confused: We have a warm water lake here named Monticello,ya'lls is Monocell?
    Leakyboat

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its Monticello like the one in Texas. Deep, clear lake with a nuclear plant on it.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'd be willing to bet theres more blues per acre in Monticello than any other lake in SC.Yes they do bite during the day some of the biggest ones I've caught have been midday.As far as where to fish some people only fish the lower and some the upper part but I fish wherever I can catch em.Its always different it depends on your style of fishing if you dragg float rigs than the lower part of the lake is better theres a little less snaggs I've come to find out that the magority of the huge fish like 70 to 80 lbs have been caught anchored.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I think I'm going down next week sometime. I'll be fishing the upper end most likely because it will probably be a little windy and its easier to load up there. Not real sure how I will fish just yet.

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    What major rivers and creeks feed the great Montey?I may fish that this spring instead of Santee.Share some of that stored up knowedge.Clarkhill is next for me I guess.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Joey no major flow in the lake. They do however pump water from Board River into the lake and there is a few very small creeks that feed into the lake. The lake is loaded with white perch so they make one of the best baits down there. The lake is deep and pretty much clear year-round. But there are several shallow spots in the lake most are well marked. Some people claim that its has depths of over 300 feet but I think they may have been smoking crack while boating. The deepest point I've came across has been 152 feet and that was the main channel near the dam. Good luck and happy fishing.

16. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What depth range seems to be best? Does it change much from season to season? Are the blues line shy? Just wondering if flourocarbon leader is needed. I normally use 30 lb. regular mono. for leader. What seems to be the fastest way to catch a bunch of white perch for bait? Is it normally best to use them cut or live? I think I might take my first trip down there in December.

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Red worms and small minnows fishing around the point of the island will do the trick for white perch usually. I use neon green and braided so colors not a problem often. Depth wise its never the same day to day from what I have found but other may have had different luck. Season, hum, during the colder months it seems that most what I catch are blues cat over all other fish. Shrimp work fairly well for eater during the cold spells. Thats about the best I can remember but I'll post of what and how I do next week. I'm going down Tuesday and I'll be on the upper end of the lake. If anybody see's me holler, I'll talk to ya if I know you're there.

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Pretty much everything Thomas said is true I've never found a spot deeper than 154 feet and the water was all the way up.Those people was on somthing or had their sonar set in kilometers or something.As far as the depth you can anchor on a drop, one day they may be 60 feet down at the bottem, the next they may be half way up it or all the way on top and sometimes it dont matter where you throw it you will get a fish.I use 17lb P-Line it sounds small but its about as strong as 30lb mono so I really dont know if line size makes a difference but I do know that a lot of people use 17 to 20lb line at that lake.Theres one thing about Monty if you fish for small fish such as stink bait, chicken livers, worms and stuff like that you are going to catch small fish.You have to fish for big fish dont be scared to sit in a spot for an hour and a half with no bite if you know he is there wait he will eat sooner or later. I know people that have fished Monty for years and always fished with small baits and never caught anything over 10 lbs and some people dont even believe theres big fish in Monty becuase of that.I aint saying youre gonna catch a 20+ lb fish every time you go to Monty but have patience and fish with big bait they are in there.

19. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm thinking of going down Friday or Sunday but that depends on two things, one the weather and two having to work. I was off today but they called and now I gotta work. If anybodys going down let know and I'll look for ya. :) :)

20. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    hey Thomas,
    i'm off on vacation all this week! so if you go to monty at all this week, let me know and i'll meet ya there!!! same goes for you Chrisblue!!!
    have a great week!!!!!