what type boat do you prefer?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadsalyer1, Jan 16, 2010.

What type of boat do you prefer for cattin'

1. pontoon

2. V-hull

3. Flat bottom or Skiff

4. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I am looking at some boats. Have used toons mostly, just thought I would see what everyone else prefers.

A) pontoon
    B) V-hull
    C) Flat bottom or skiff
    D) other

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    i bought a 19' bay boat with center console but would like to find a bay hull with dual console-for drifting. I found a rear deck is of no use to me. i need a front deck just large enough to throw the cast net. Other than that all i need is a livewell and catchwell.
    i like the bay hull because it can go shallow as you want or salt water type rough water-and stay pretty dry

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like toons an jon boats

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have a pontoon and the next one I get will be a pontoon. I like to get up and move around and my wife can go on a 'toon. I can go in 12" of water with mine, it has the Merc. Bigfoot motor.

5. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    No such thing as perfect boat....

6. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I like one that can be multifunctional, handle big water (rivers) and get into most of the shallow flats, but I particularly like ones that run......got access to one that don't run...poop.

7. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    it all depends on what kind of water your fishing. if your fishing water that might get a little rough a v hull or a pontoon is your best bet. i run a a flat bottom right now but have also had a v hull and liked it for the reson that it handled choppy water better. i also fish out of a pontoon some and it is great for having tons of room its all personal preferance. i think my next boat will be a modified v i just like being able to get in shallow water when i need to

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Because of the rivers I fish I went with "V" hull. A big river can knock the crap outa ya unless ya cut through it. LOL!

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I 100% agree with this post, and sent reps out for it. Every fishin' place/situation, certain boats have advantages and disadvantages. Certainly for big water fishin' in the larger lakes, pontoons are the Rolls Royce of cat boats. However, put a 'toon in a shallow, rocky river and you are certainly at a disadvantage. My "ideal" boat would be a LONG and WIDE aluminum jon or skiff type boat, with high sides. I did NOT vote in the poll as there is NO definitive answer.

Bill in SC

10. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    if your laisy like me ,you go with the pontoon,they are nice for a all night fishing trip,you have room for the sleeping bag,plus the grill for some good eats.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    For me, I own the ideal boat. For where I fish, and where I live, and what I am willing to pay, the boat I have is ideal.

If I did not have to trailer a boat, or did not fish that often, I would love to have a 21' pontoon with a BIG motor on it so I could easily run 30-35mph.

For me however, as often as I fish, and as often as I like to load up and hit the road, the Carolina Skiff DLV is the ideal boat for me.

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    My favorite boat is the one that just keeps going right on by as Im fishin my favorite spots on the bank.

13. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks guys foor all the input. I think I am on the same thought prcess as Bill and Dieter. I have been looking at the skiffs pretty hard. I have fished for cats out of just about every type boat on the readily available market, and the toon has been my mainstay the last couple of years. But I am growing as a fisherman which opens me to expanding the waters I fish, IE: new territory, and the toon is getting to be a pain in the tail loading and unloading when I fish by myself. I have been looking at Carolina skiff kit boats as I can have it set up the way I want. I also have to go with 24 ft so when the wife and kids go It's somewhat safer for the little one, and it also allows room for all night equipment. Thanks again for all the input That's what makes the USCA such a great place. The knowledge on here is more the plentifull!

14. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    i agree with you wyliecat my skiff is great for the waters i fish i have plenty of room i would never want to trailer a heavy pontoon around as often as i fish i would not think twice about hooking up and making a 3 or 400 mile trip with the skiff to fish

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I like saltwater too.
    Gotta have something that can be dual use.
    Run offshore a bit or run up river.

16. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    This year i plan on buying a jon boat around 16 fft or maybe 18...And a long time from now i want to get a Tracker targa 18 ft for drift fishing!!I have it all planned out where my rod holders are gonne be..I just am lookin and deciding on how i want my rear rod holders to be set up

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I like both of my boats. toon- and a V. i cant see fishn out of a 16 ft jon, but if thats all i
    have ever used, then thats all i would probably want.

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like the ride of a V but also like the big flat bottom's, I fish out of a 24 ft Sea-Ark flatbottom.

19. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i fish out of a 16 foot flat bottom and the only thing i dont like is the size. the ride is fine and it fishes great but i wont at least a 18 footer and at least another foot wider. 16 is just to small for me. i like take a few people out every once in a while and have 4 poeple is the max rating. and if we just sit its fine but when you get up and movin im always scared some one is gonna fall in. the stability is great its just bumping into somethin or some one. i also would like to have the little extra room for a live well when im tourny fishing which is proving to be a real head ache in my 16 footer i can make it work but it aint fun. it gets rid of all room in the front of the boat

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  20. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    I have v-hull,and a pontoon, and my brother has a 23 ft crownline cabin and I have fished out of all 3 but I always like the pontoon, plenty of room and stable, for me it has to be the pontoon!:cowboy: