What type anchor??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by crazyKat, Nov 13, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have a 16 foot jon. what type and size anchor do i need? and how much will it cost me? i fish in ohio river only. no lakes so i need one for that kind of conditions.

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i bought a little 15lb'er and it wont hold the boat most times in calm water ~ gonna go find and anchor with some teeth on it ~ long spikes or something

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id say by the size of sinkers some folks use on here one of those would work pretty well lol.:wink:

4. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i got one of those small mushrooms at walmart. i didnt know any better. lol it dont hold to well. they have a 22 lb at walmart will that hold?

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Make sure your letting out enough rope without enough rope to keep your anchor in position to dig in it ain't gonna hold no matter what type you have or the weight.

6. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    yea it seems like if i let out rope so i tug at an good angle it holds better than just straight down

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Enough rope out..... I've found that the amount of chain on the anchor is a "key factor" to holding the anchor down.... rope out (scope) is important... but get some chain on the anchor ..... itt'l help with holding....

bayrunner ray

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    roger if your gona fish the river be sure to have a minimum 100feet of anchor line and have a knive close by incase you need to cut it loose and get out of the way in a hurry,when the river is riseing you never know whats going to be coming at you,,,

10. Houdini

Houdini New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The mushroom anchor's are mainly used in lakes / ponds. I made my own for the river. I took a piece of railroad track about 12", drilled a hole in the middle, mated it to about 18'' of chain, to rope. Hold's perfect for me.
    sorry no pic.