what type anchor for gravel bottoms in current

Discussion in 'Boating' started by biga, May 27, 2008.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have a few spots that i always mark nice fish that are near the loading barges at the gravel yards and i can never get anchored without breaking loose... does anyone have a good anchor for gravel bottoms? i have used flukes ,river anchors, mushroom and a couple home made ones but i always break loose in the loose gravel bottom... anyone have a better idea for anchoring in loose bottom?

2. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    How deep of water are you in?

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    19' to 30' at this particular spot..

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Adam-I got this anchor style from buying my first boat and I wouldnt trade it for a 100.It grabs 98% of the time it is a real jewel.I fish the Sippi-Desmion & skunk river and all are different.If you would like the dimentions Pm me and I will get them to you.I dont know what size boat you run etc. & I am sure that makes a diff. I am running a small jon (1975 15ft lowe)

Attached Files:

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Couple more questions. Length of anchor rope? How strong is the current? Weight of anchors used?

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have let out 150' of ropeand the anchor just skips through the gravel .. the problems not how i anchor its that i need something to dig into the gravel... drag your anchor through your drive way and you will see what i mean!!:wink:

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    A lot depends also on the size of the boat and how much drag there is, I use a 15lb navy anchor on our river with my 16' Gregor Its mostly sand with gravel in spots and never have a problem, got 6' of 3/8 chain hooked on it I also put out 100' of rope in 7'+or- of water, read and been told ya need 7' of rope for every foot of water if your are in in a 5mph+ current, there's a formula for it I have seen somewhere. Go up one of the drain canals off of the river that has a very strong current 10mph+ and a hard packed bottom and it still holds, also have a 20# er on my 24' pontoon and no problems

Attached Files:

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i don't do pictures but i can tell you what will work. get your self an 18 inch long 3or 4 inch dia.pipe.(solid round stock is better) . cap one end and get your self about 40 pounds of lead. melt the lead and pour it in the pipe and cap the open end.now get yourself a 1/2inch round bar and weld it to the middle of the 18 inch long pipe to attach your rope to. finally get your self some 3/4 inch dia. hot rolled round stock. cut round stock into 4 inch long parts and weld them all over the outside of the pipe so it looks like a porcupine. it's gonna be heavy but it will dig in to gravel. hope this helps.

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    this is also a nice anchor the guys use em up in the pacific north west on the fast moving rivers up there and they are also gravel bed rivers, its a very cool site give ya sizes ect. www.ezmarine.com , them anchor lifts are something to think about:cool2:

10. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    adam i got a richter archor and it's hold's me every in all the spots i fish. but the price is a little high

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adam in Mounds Ill. they load grain barges with corn and sometimes coal. When we fish that area we use Magnets and attach to stationary barges. Works better than anchors. The barge employees will sound a horn in plenty of time for you to move before they remove that barge. These magnets can be purchased at Basss Pro Shops. This is on the Ohio River.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    garry eads told me about that at the henderson gathering and i havent used that yet but in the right situation i sure will!! thanks mickey!